gatherwrite Re: DC Y2K Weather Report # 4
Author Message
 gatherwrite Re: DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

Quote:
> you spell E-X-C-P-V-R?  Does .G0013V00 mean anything to you?  Hey! Look
> that module is gatherwriting the master file.)

Was/is gatherwrite used for anything besides ISAM? Hasn't BISAM/QISAM
joined BDAM in that pantheon of Big Dead Access Methods?

I hope that there aren't many sites left still running ISAM, or there
are a lot of problems out there besides Y2K.

I used ISAM on a couple of VS2s and an MVS back in the late 70s/early 80s,
including using IEBISAM to port ISAM data from VS2 with a freebie
COBOL compiler to another with an an optimizing VS2 compiler and
cobol U on MVS. The benchmarks on the pair of 370/145s running VS2 gave
me an interesting example of relative performance of code generated by
different IBM COBOL compilers.

Whenever I mention that I've actually used ISAM, from both COBOL and PL/I,
people tell me I'm dating myself.
--
notice: by sending advertising/solicitations to this account you will be
indicating your consent to paying me $70/hour for a minimum of 2 hours for

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 gatherwrite Re: DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

Quote:

>> you spell E-X-C-P-V-R?  Does .G0013V00 mean anything to you?  Hey! Look
>> that module is gatherwriting the master file.)

>Was/is gatherwrite used for anything besides ISAM? Hasn't BISAM/QISAM
>joined BDAM in that pantheon of Big Dead Access Methods?

>I hope that there aren't many sites left still running ISAM, or there
>are a lot of problems out there besides Y2K.

I know a guy who took down a 360/40 and 2314's in 1995.  The 40 was
running production for a corporation out west.   He replaced it
with a new model, high performance mainframe that weighs less than 60
lbs including the disk farm.

While driving around Washington DC, I think about that 40 and 2314's
and wonder what it means in the context of Y2K.

In 1983-4, I saw a 7080 running production at an Air Force base. That
shocked me too.  Does anyone know if it's still there?  I think it was
in Ohio.

Quote:
>I used ISAM on a couple of VS2s and an MVS back in the late 70s/early
> 80s,
>including using IEBISAM to port ISAM data from VS2 with a freebie
>COBOL compiler to another with an an optimizing VS2 compiler and
>cobol U on MVS. The benchmarks on the pair of 370/145s running VS2 gave
>me an interesting example of relative performance of code generated by
>different IBM COBOL compilers.

>Whenever I mention that I've actually used ISAM, from both COBOL and PL/I,
>people tell me I'm dating myself.
>--

Dating yourself or promoting yourself as an legacy systems expert,
positioning yourself for big bucks, Y2K remediation work?

Cory Hamasaki     http://www.kiyoinc.com
HHResearch Co.    OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. DC Y2K Weather Report (ALC 9, power, Time Machines, How Bad)

2. Available: DC Y2K Weather Report #17

3. DC Y2K Weather Report #3

4. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

5. DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

6. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

7. Available: DC Y2K Weather Report #17

8. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

9. DC Y2K Weather Report #6

10. DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

11. DC Y2K Weather Report (Real GPS, ICBMs, ALC, 250K grant)

12. DC Y2K Weather Report # 11