TPROT question
Author Message
 TPROT question

I issue TPROT 0(R06),0

The value in R06 is X'00006F50'.
I am running in primary, key 0, AMODE 31, DAT on.

The page at X'00006F50' is viewable in an SVC dump.

But I get a condition code of 3.

What is going on?

BTW, The address is in a CICS region.

TIA. Pierre.

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:04:14 GMT
 TPROT question

:>I issue TPROT 0(R06),0

:>The value in R06 is X'00006F50'.
:>I am running in primary, key 0, AMODE 31, DAT on.

:>The page at X'00006F50' is viewable in an SVC dump.

:>But I get a condition code of 3.

The fact that it is in an SVCDUMP does not mean that it was paged in at the
time the TPROT was issued.

If you wish to simply get the key, use IVSK. Of course, IVSK will PIC-10/11 if
the page is not assigned.

If you wish to verify that a specific virtual address is assigned, use VSMLOC.

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 15:30:09 GMT
 TPROT question

Quote:

> I issue TPROT 0(R06),0

> The value in R06 is X'00006F50'.
> I am running in primary, key 0, AMODE 31, DAT on.

> The page at X'00006F50' is viewable in an SVC dump.

> But I get a condition code of 3.

> What is going on?

It means that at the instant of TPROT, the
address was not translatable by the hardware.
Use a key 0 access, like "CLI 0(R6),0" or an
IVSK instruction to force a page-in, then
immediately the TPROT.

==================
        SPKA  0           disable key protection
LOOP    BR    0           purge cache
        CLI   0(R6),0     force a page-in
        TPROT 0(R6),0     test
        BO    LOOP        oops, paged-out
==================

Under a heavy system load, the CLI may page-in,
then an interrupt occurs and eventually the page
goes out again before the TPROT is executed. So,
use a loop. If for some reason you don't want to
set key zero, then you can also use IVSK to force
a page-in.

If the page is logically invalid (bad address),
then the CLI will barf as usual and your ESTAEX
can handle that situation.

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:53:24 GMT
 TPROT question
You are right. If the memory is paged out, that's what happens. Thanks.
Quote:

> :>I issue TPROT 0(R06),0

> :>The value in R06 is X'00006F50'.
> :>I am running in primary, key 0, AMODE 31, DAT on.

> :>The page at X'00006F50' is viewable in an SVC dump.

> :>But I get a condition code of 3.

> The fact that it is in an SVCDUMP does not mean that it was paged in at the
> time the TPROT was issued.

> If you wish to simply get the key, use IVSK. Of course, IVSK will PIC-10/11 if
> the page is not assigned.

> If you wish to verify that a specific virtual address is assigned, use VSMLOC.

> --

> http://www.dissensoftware.com

> Director, Dissen Software, Bar & Grill - Israel

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:44:52 GMT

1. Confusion over TPROT

2. Questions-Questions-Questions-Answers-Answers

3. Question(Questions, questions...)

4. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

5. Questions Questions

6. Questions and more questions...

7. Browse Question / Report question

8. ***Data buffering question. Long post, lots of questions

9. questions, questions!

10. Questions, questions!

11. MicroWorlds Pro "QUESTION Set Size" question

12. OS/2 REXX Question (Object REXX Question Inside)