Writting to the console on MVS system.
Author Message
 Writting to the console on MVS system.

Hi all,

     Could anybody out there tell me how to write to the console, terminal,
on the MVS operating system or can recommends a books or manuals discriping
the way to do it.

Any comment will be appreatuated.
Thanks in advanced.

Saad Al-Harthi <CCA3407.SAKAAU03.BITNET>
Jeddah, SA.

Thu, 19 Aug 1993 00:08:52 GMT
 Writting to the console on MVS system.

Quote:
>     Could anybody out there tell me how to write to the console, terminal,
>on the MVS operating system or can recommends a books or manuals discriping
>the way to do it.

Hmm.. Been a *long* time since I hacked any OS code, but..

To write to the systems console, see the WTO and WTOR macros.
Note that doing this in a large multi-processing environment may be a
Bad Idea, as the systems operator is probably *not* expecting for your
program to communicate with him directly...

To write to the *user* terminal, I think you want the TPUT and TGET (although
this may be a TSO-only rather than an MVS macro...)

                                  Valdis Kletnieks
                                  Computer Systems Engineer
                                  {*filter*}ia Polytechnic Institute

Thu, 19 Aug 1993 10:36:21 GMT
 Writting to the console on MVS system.

Quote:
>Hi all,

>     Could anybody out there tell me how to write to the console, terminal,
>on the MVS operating system or can recommends a books or manuals discriping
>the way to do it.

>Any comment will be appreatuated.
>Thanks in advanced.

>Saad Al-Harthi <CCA3407.SAKAAU03.BITNET>
>Jeddah, SA.

Salam Wa Aleykum, Saad.

My name is Tim Tierney, and I work for the University of Nevada.  In order
to write to the MVS console, you need to use the WTO, or WTOR macro.  The
WTO will allow you to just write a message, and the WTOR will allow you to
write a message and wait for a reply from the operator.

By the way, I'm an MVS/ESA systems programmer. I worked in Riyadh from
1984 - 1986 with GOSI in Riyadh, and from 1986 - 1989 with StorageTek in
Kuwait.  I'm thinking about coming back over, and I'm wondering what the
contract situation is over there.  Any information you could provide,
especially if you know of a company needing a systems programmer, would
be appreciated.

Shukran,
Tim

Sat, 21 Aug 1993 00:02:03 GMT
 Writting to the console on MVS system.
In the simplest case, writing to the MVS operator's console can
be accomplished by coding a WTO macro:
   WTO   'text'
where the text can be up to 120 characters, if memory serves me right.
There is a variety of optional parameters that affect message routing,
display attributes and such, which you can get out of the Supervisor
Services SPL.

If you want to write to a terminal (i.e. a TSO terminal), then you'll
need the TPUT macro - or the PUTLINE macro.  Both are documented in
the "Guide to Writing a Terminal Monitor Program or Command Processor".
I haven't used TPUT or PUTLINE in a long time and are sufficiently fuzzy
so that I won't post what I think are the requirements here.

Hope this helps.

Sat, 21 Aug 1993 12:14:10 GMT
[...]

If it's XA, see System Macros and Facilities Volume 2.

Or just code:

     WTO 'your text here'

That's all there is.

Jim Kay

Mon, 23 Aug 1993 00:54:20 GMT

1. MVS/JES2/WTO(R)/CONSOLE AS/MPF exit/SUB SYSTEM

2. Writing to the console in MVS systems

3. Writing to the console on MVS systems

4. MVS REXX (console commands)

5. EXECUTION_ENVIRONMENT.system("command") displays console window

6. MVS System Logger

7. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

8. US-CA-LA: MVS Systems Programmer

9. Looking for book: Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces for IBM Systems and Application Programmers

10. execute / list forms of MVS system macros

11. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

12. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer