FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob
Author Message
 FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob

I am auctioning the Emergency Pull knob from an IBm 370
Model 168 on eBay.   No Reserve.

A nice collectible in mint condition.  Auction ends today --
don't miss it!

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Bill

Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob

writes:

Quote:
>I am auctioning the Emergency Pull knob from an IBm 370
>Model 168 on eBay.   No Reserve.

Oh no! I hate to think of all the service calls that have been placed due to
curiosity or misunderstanding over those orange knobs and off-only switches!

Mark A. Young

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob
Let me add one tale from an IBM CE here:
When IBM launched their 4341 they had wisely (?) placed the emergency
 power off switch in the exact same location where the ordinary power off
 switch was on the model 4331. (The "ordinary" power off on the 4341 was
 of course from the console).

Lots of customers had their 4331 replaced by (upgraded to) 4341, CE made
the whole installation work, and on day two the customers would call CE
complaining that they could not get their system started. As usual they had
switched their 4341 off like they used to do with their 4331 at the end of
day one. . . . .

regards Sven

Quote:
>writes:

>>I am auctioning the Emergency Pull knob from an IBm 370
>>Model 168 on eBay.   No Reserve.

>Oh no! I hate to think of all the service calls that have been placed due
>curiosity or misunderstanding over those orange knobs and off-only
switches!

>Mark A. Young

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob
What price did it bring?

I wouldn't mind getting a "IBM System/360" sign, but I'm not dying for
one.

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob

Quote:

>Let me add one tale from an IBM CE here:
>When IBM launched their 4341 they had wisely (?) placed the emergency
> power off switch in the exact same location where the ordinary power off
> switch was on the model 4331. (The "ordinary" power off on the 4341 was
> of course from the console).

Oh don't I knowthis?  One the 4341 console there were special keys, one of them could be
used to STOP the machine (for inspecting some memory location, e.g.) and start it (better
say resume it) again.

One one particularly {*filter*} day we had CICS go SOS multiple time, and I was trying to find
cause and/or solution by looking at various things inside the OS.  Suddenly the message
MACHINE CHECK ERROR flashed over the 4341 console.  ... except it wasn't a machine check,
but I had by accident hit the wrong key, and the whole thing came down in the middle of
the day.

At that time we were running OS/VS1, and IPL took half an hour, geting CICS up took about
an hour, and WE were not amused....

with kind regards

Volker Bandke
(BSP GmbH)

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. FS/370 System/370 Emulator

2. IBM system 370 system call "DMXINV"

3. IBM system 370

4. FS:text - assembler 370

5. System/370 Systems Person, Mountain View, CA

6. FS: IBM System/360 Reference Card

7. IBM Mainframe 370

8. OS for IBM 370

9. IBM/370 architecture specification

10. FA: Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370

11. IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

12. ibm pc/370 -- what is this beast???