Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC
Author Message
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> DN> COBOL guru, the S/390 assembler guru, the JCL guru, the IMS guru, the CICS
> DN> guru and the OS/2 guru.

> Someone gave me an IBM web site for the S/390 to get some info, but
> since you know S/390 assembler, is it similar to S/370 asm?

As a superset of S/370 assembler, S/390 assembler is, for most intents
and purposes, identical to s/370 assembler.

John Chase
Systems Engineer
NOTIS Support Center

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> : > Steve the Recruiter interupts...
> : > Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
> : > Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
> : > I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and

> Simple supply and demand.
> Your bid price is not greater than their interest price.
> Try bidding a number or a higher number.

Did it ever occur to you that no one wants to work for a spammer?
--
               ^^^^^
              ( o o )

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

: > Steve the Recruiter interupts...
: > Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
: > Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
: > I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and

Simple supply and demand.
Your bid price is not greater than their interest price.
Try bidding a number or a higher number.

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

In a message dated 04-14-97, Clark Morris said to All about Re: Brief Y2k
Weather Re

CM>ACCESS DYNAMIC is used in a lot of I-O sub-programs that
CM>are vendor related.

I've seen such vendor-supplied code. One of my former employers made a lot
of its money from making such products run 90% faster.

CM>This way one routine can be called to handle all of the functions.
CM>Current   IBM MVS implementation of ACCESS DYNAMIC gives tolerably good
CM>performance   based on various tests that I ran.  Neither the all random
CM>nor the all   sequential access was that degraded over the use of the
CM>specific access   although a 10-20 percent CPU savings was obtainable in
CM>(only) some   situations.

10%-20% savings compared to what? Did you use BLSR or some other buffering
tool?

Quote:
> Thus, we have: ACCESS is always DYNAMIC;
>                I/O always uses sequential statements;
>                I/O is always functionally random.

At the risk of being on-topic, a now unknown phenomenon in this newsgroup,
we should consider what the above does at the assembler level.

The ACCESS MODE DYNAMIC tells the VSAM open routine (inside SVC 19) to load
support modules for both direct and sequential RPL (Request Parameter List)
strings.

The START statement performs a _sequential_ POINT macro, which cause a
full-string read. The READ NEXT then does a sequential GET macro to pull the
desired record from the string's buffer pool. Thus, a full buffer pool of
data Control Intervals (and possibly several index CI's) was read by the
POINT macro. [Remember that VSAM allocates buffers at the RPL level, not the
ACB level.]

If the programmer had coded a READ KEY statement instead, a _direct_ GET
macro would have read a single data CI (possibly several index CI's, though)
and pulled the record from there, all in a single access method operation.
This will usually be much faster than reading a full string of data CI
buffers.

The use of ACCESS MODE RANDOM would prevent the redundant loading of the
sequential support modules. [But then, RAM is cheaper than thought these
days.]

Bear in mind, that I am writing about the all too common occurrence of this
being the only I/O performed on the file.

We could also address the issue of NSR and LSR buffer management, especially
since this is an assembler newsgroup. Is anybody interested?

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>
___
 * MR/2 2.25 #353 * Don't let school interfere with your education.
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

Quote:

> Always wanted to learn PL/1, but, alas, never got the chance... ::sigh::

  You ain't missed anything.

Gary

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

growled:

Quote:
>[...] As for the ACCESS MODE clause: any programmer who
>doesn't know when to use RANDOM, SEQUENTIAL, and DYNAMIC, gets his hand
>slapped, and is sent back to do remedial coding.

In our company we always use DYNAMIC so that we only have to have one
COPYable insert for each file SELECT. But the programmers all know the
difference between READ and READ ... NEXT and when to use which.

--
Paul Oldham, Milton, Cambridge, UK
http://www.the-hug.demon.co.uk/paul/

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

Quote:

> We PL/I bigots have always believed that COBOL programmers were hired so
> that managers wouldn't be the technically dumbest people on site.

I though it was so interns had someone to look down on. . .

B-)=

---
Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of
individuals...I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty,
subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating
in their purpose."
        - Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

WOAH there Richard.  Steve the Recruiter cannot be described as a SPAMMER.
He has contributed in great measure to this news group in DISCUSSION.  He
actually READS the news group and makes good intelligent comments.

Quote:

> > : > Steve the Recruiter interupts...
> > : > Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
> > : > Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3
months
> > : > I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol
and

> > Simple supply and demand.
> > Your bid price is not greater than their interest price.
> > Try bidding a number or a higher number.

> Did it ever occur to you that no one wants to work for a spammer?
> --
>                ^^^^^
>               ( o o )
> =========o000===(_)===000o=========
> http://www.concentric.net/~davicomp

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

 >WOAH there Richard.  Steve the Recruiter cannot be described as a
SPAMMER.
 >He has contributed in great measure to this news group in DISCUSSION.  He
 >actually READS the news group and makes good intelligent comments.

Too bad none of this has anything to do with S/370 assembly language
programming.

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 ASM370 and COBOL folks - where they are...

 >We could also address the issue of NSR and LSR buffer management,
especially
 >since this is an assembler newsgroup. Is anybody interested?

Yes.

I'd suggest also cutting out the other cross-posted newsgroups, as this may
be off-topic in them.

Whoever created this thread originally spammed it out across
comp.software.year-2000, comp.lang.cobol, and alt.computer.consultants as
well as comp.lang.asm370.

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 165 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]