Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.
Author Message
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

>>How high does it have to be to get "the Galactic Emperor" to crank code,
>>I wouldn't go to him with less than $250/hour in my pocket.  How expert
>>is "the evil magician",  he built an 8088 interpreter using S/390
>>assembly language and ran Lotus 123 1A* on a watercooled mainframe on a
>>3270 using PF keys.

>Not just an 80** interpreter, but a DOS system emulator as well.

He was able to run both real DOS and Lotus on the emulator.  He said the
hardest part was handling the speaker.  The PC speaker is driven by
code loops, there's no sound generator, so when DOS or Lotus makes a
beep, the S/390 would go into a loop. His interpreter recognized
the instruction sequences for loops, bypassed them and sent the code
sequence to the 3270 to sound the audible alarm.

Quote:
>Cory, My very best wishes for your stepdaughter's speady recovery.

Thanks, the operation was successful, was about 3 hours.

Quote:

>Rick Plotke

Cory Hamasaki       http://www.*-*-*.com/
HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> > In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
> > count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

> > /Jim/

> One problem.  EDS is the Auschwitz of computer companies.

> $2500/hr would not be enough.

> ---
> Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
> Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
> West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
> NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
> - --
> "...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of
> individuals...I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty,
> subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating
> in their purpose."
>         - Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

Yea, and the funny part is they are probably paying $25 per hour.....
:(

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> How high does it have to be to get "the Galactic Emperor" to crank code,
> I wouldn't go to him with less than $250/hour in my pocket.  How expert
> is "the evil magician",  he built an 8088 interpreter using S/390
> assembly language and ran Lotus 123 1A* on a watercooled mainframe on a
> 3270 using PF keys.

> "Yes, my master."

"We're not worthy!  We're not worthy!  We're not worthy!"

B-)=

---
Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of
individuals...I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty,
subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating
in their purpose."
        - Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Please do not trivialize Auschwitz by comparing it to EDS or any other
company.

Quote:
Jr.) writes:

>> In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
>> count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

>> /Jim/
>One problem.  EDS is the Auschwitz of computer companies.
>$2500/hr would not be enough.

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> Steve the Recruiter interupts...

> Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
> Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
> I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and
> he was 100 miles north of Toronto and had been retired from IBM for 10
> years.

> My question is this: I get gobs of resumes from guys who could do Cobol,
> but refuse to do Cobol. They want VB, Access, Oracle.....money is not
> their primary concern. Doesn'y anybody WANT to code Cobol anymore?

> Steve Wray Recruiter - " Most of the things worth doing in the world had
> been declared impossible before they were done."

Steve:

  Of course some of us want to do Cobol - and we are ! I'm currently
on a Y2K project, but I have 3 other contractors with me. Two of
them can't read hex, claim they have only worked with Cobol in an
an on-line environemnt (and can't read hex?) and one of the wants to
do only QA work (??). The fourth person can do Cobol and can read hex,
but is slow - slow - slow. This is what we are faced with. I'm
earning every buck I'm getting. Before I take another Y2K I'm going
to look at it very closely and demand my fair share.
  The client wants us to expand the files also. We did. But the
problems we had!
  I also taught the others how to use IDCAMS to get file dumps of
before and after to insure the files were converted properly - when I
found out that the others couldn't read the hex format, I knew we
were in trouble.
  The company that I am doing the work for bid so low on the job
they can't afford to get other experienced programmers. I could have
gotten them 2 old pro's, but not at the rates they were offered.
  I'll get the job done on time but then I'm gone.

Richard Jackson
Houston, Taxes (new spelling)

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> >In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
> >count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

> >/Jim/
> >--
> >James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

> and from Monday's NYT article on Y2K:

> >George Luntz, the president of Allegiant, knows that he and his fellow
> >"Cobol cowboys" are not the most popular vendors in America right now.
> <snip>
> >Luntz said that qualified Cobol programmers now demand annual salaries
> >of $100,000 to $200,000 -- and the price is going up. Which is why he
> >predicts that his firm's $1,200 daily rate for Cobol consultants is
> >likely to double over the next 18 months.

> over to Cory ...

Steve the Recruiter interupts...

Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and
he was 100 miles north of Toronto and had been retired from IBM for 10
years.

My question is this: I get gobs of resumes from guys who could do Cobol,
but refuse to do Cobol. They want VB, Access, Oracle.....money is not
their primary concern. Doesn'y anybody WANT to code Cobol anymore?

Steve Wray Recruiter - " Most of the things worth doing in the world had
been declared impossible before they were done."

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> >>In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
> >>count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

> >>/Jim/
> >>--
> >>James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

> >and from Monday's NYT article on Y2K:

> >>George Luntz, the president of Allegiant, knows that he and his fellow
> >>"Cobol cowboys" are not the most popular vendors in America right now.
> ><snip>
> >>Luntz said that qualified Cobol programmers now demand annual salaries
> >>of $100,000 to $200,000 -- and the price is going up. Which is why he
> >>predicts that his firm's $1,200 daily rate for Cobol consultants is
> >>likely to double over the next 18 months.

> >over to Cory ...

> B-b-but what can I say?  I'm a C/C++, PL/I, ASM/370 systems programmer
> with a Masters in Computer Science and I'm struggling to get my
> consulting rate up to what he's paying COBOL-heads as a salary!!!!

> I am happy for them but I didn't think we see these numbers
> until the end of this year or early next.  $1,200/day is twenty-four
> thousand dollars a month!  Two hundred eighty-eight thousand dollars a
> year.

> I've been making jokes about COBOL programmers buying Mercedes and
> yelling at the sales people for taking too long to do the paperwork.  If
> you're billing out at $288,000/year, $38,000 for a Mercedes is pocket
> change.

> He's predicting a half million a year for a COBOL-head?  This IS
> America!  Ya gotta love free enterprise.  I am proud to be a coder-geek!

> Cory Hamasaki       http://www.*-*-*.com/
> HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
> REDWOOD

In case anyone is interested in reading the NY Times article to which
Cory is referring see :
http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}/week/040797mille...

Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

>> Steve the Recruiter interupts...

>> Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
>> Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
>> I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and
>> he was 100 miles north of Toronto and had been retired from IBM for 10
>> years.

>> My question is this: I get gobs of resumes from guys who could do Cobol,
>> but refuse to do Cobol. They want VB, Access, Oracle.....money is not
>> their primary concern. Doesn'y anybody WANT to code Cobol anymore?

>> Steve Wray Recruiter - " Most of the things worth doing in the world had
>> been declared impossible before they were done."

>Steve:

Are you sure they could do COBOL or are they kidding you?  Just as lots
of recruiting ads will list dozens of technical specialities, resume's
have evolved to listing dozens of popular acronyms.  The use of
mechanical filter/scanners has forced people to tag their resumes to get
them pass the gate keepers.

I'm an old programmer, you can see the glare of the sun on the top of my
head, but even with 27+ years, I've never written a COBOL program, I
do PL/I, C/C++, Rexx, and asm370 and that's it.  I don't do SQL, Pascal,
etc.  What I'm trying to say, and I may be having a senior moment, is
that those resumes may be from an ACCESS-clicker who put COBOL on his
resume to pump it up.  You're looking for COBOL so you called him on it.
He's in h*ly-sh*t mode, 'what the f*ck do I do now?'  So to save face,
he says that he could do COBOL but refuses.  To continue, then why list
it on your resume?  Because he wants to look like a big dog, bark like a
big dog, run like a big dog, sniff a ... oops, sorry, got carried away.

Fact is, this computer sh*t is complex and anyone listing more than 3-4
areas out of the several dozen major categories is either lying or is
very superficial.  This isn't to say that an ACCESS-clicker or C/C++
cranker couldn't pick up COBOL and be useful in, say, 6 months of
on-the-job.  But that's not your client wants or deserves.

Your client deserves a COBOL-head who has at least 3 years of intense
experience, who loves COBOL, and knows the language subtleties.  Oops, 3
years, if they start now, they'll be ready by spring 2000.

>  Of course some of us want to do Cobol - and we are ! I'm currently
>on a Y2K project, but I have 3 other contractors with me. Two of
>them can't read hex, claim they have only worked with Cobol in an
>an on-line environemnt (and can't read hex?) and one of the wants to
>do only QA work (??). The fourth person can do Cobol and can read hex,
>but is slow - slow - slow. This is what we are faced with. I'm
>earning every buck I'm getting. Before I take another Y2K I'm going
>to look at it very closely and demand my fair share.
>  The client wants us to expand the files also. We did. But the
>problems we had!
>  I also taught the others how to use IDCAMS to get file dumps of
>before and after to insure the files were converted properly - when I
>found out that the others couldn't read the hex format, I knew we
>were in trouble.
>  The company that I am doing the work for bid so low on the job
>they can't afford to get other experienced programmers. I could have
>gotten them 2 old pro's, but not at the rates they were offered.

This is funny and has cheered me up.  Richard, your fair share is big
bag of money.

Quote:
>  I'll get the job done on time but then I'm gone.

>Richard Jackson
>Houston, Taxes (new spelling)

Texas is a low tax state.  You want to see taxes, come to Washington DC.
We'll slap an annual sales tax on your car, the county will add 50% to
the state income tax.  The idiot cities add a trash collection tax to
your property tax but list it as a service fee so you can't deduct it
from your federal, state, and county income tax like you can in other
places.

Cory Hamasaki      http://www.kiyoinc.com
HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

growled:

Quote:
>Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
>Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
>I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming [...]

>My question is this: I get gobs of resumes from guys who could do Cobol,
>but refuse to do Cobol. They want VB, Access, Oracle.....money is not
>their primary concern. Doesn'y anybody WANT to code Cobol anymore?

I suspect that many people with Cobol are looking to the long term,
post Y2K and want to ensure they've got a job in 2001 onwards. They
don't see many jobs being around then. I'm not saying they're right,
but it is a widespread perception.

--
Paul Oldham, Milton, Cambridge
http://www.the-hug.demon.co.uk/paul/

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> > <snip>
> > >Luntz said that qualified Cobol programmers now demand annual salaries
> > >of $100,000 to $200,000 -- and the price is going up. Which is why he
> > >predicts that his firm's $1,200 daily rate for Cobol consultants is
> > >likely to double over the next 18 months.

> > over to Cory ...

> Steve the Recruiter interupts...

> Help me understand something. I advertise (some would say spam) for
> Cobol programmers on all the employment newsgroups. In the last 3 months
> I've only gotten ONE person who was interested in programming Cobol and
> he was 100 miles north of Toronto and had been retired from IBM for 10
> years.

> My question is this: I get gobs of resumes from guys who could do Cobol,
> but refuse to do Cobol. They want VB, Access, Oracle.....money is not
> their primary concern. Doesn'y anybody WANT to code Cobol anymore?

I don't doubt that I *could* "do COBOL", but over the past 10 years I've
become an "Assembler bigot"; the last time I even SAW a COBOL source
deck was around 1988.  And like the others to whom you refer, money is
not my primary concern... *location* is.

But for the "right" (to me) combination of money, location and
opportunity to maintain a modicum of proficiency with Assembler, I'd
"oil up" my dormant COBOL skills... it would probably take a couple
months to get "up to speed".

John Chase
Systems Engineer
NOTIS Support Center

"The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not
necessarily reflect the policies or views of Ameritech Library Services
or any of its officers or employees."

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> Texas is a low tax state.  You want to see taxes, come to Washington DC.
> We'll slap an annual sales tax on your car, the county will add 50% to
> the state income tax.  The idiot cities add a trash collection tax to
> your property tax but list it as a service fee so you can't deduct it
> from your federal, state, and county income tax like you can in other
> places.

> Cory Hamasaki      http://www.kiyoinc.com
> HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
> REDWOOD

Makes me glad I'm on this side of the Beltway.  Prince George's county adds
60%, but on the other hand, we don't have any of that other stuff (particually
the personal property tax (of course, we don't have annual car inspections
either)).  Nor do we have Rt 66.

                                        Bruce

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Brief Y2K Weather Report NYC

Quote:

> > > <snip>
> I don't doubt that I *could* "do COBOL", but over the past 10 years I've
> become an "Assembler bigot"; the last time I even SAW a COBOL source
> deck was around 1988.  And like the others to whom you refer, money is
> not my primary concern... *location* is.

> But for the "right" (to me) combination of money, location and
> opportunity to maintain a modicum of proficiency with Assembler, I'd
> "oil up" my dormant COBOL skills... it would probably take a couple
> months to get "up to speed".

> John Chase
> Systems Engineer
> NOTIS Support Center

> "The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not
> necessarily reflect the policies or views of Ameritech Library Services
> or any of its officers or employees."

I think in about one month you would be up to speed. The Cobol part
of Y2K is not that difficult. The type of shop, co-operation from the
client, tools available, what the client REALLY wants done, and the
age of programs and data are part of the problem. Organization and
planning are a part. Experience of programmers (if available).

If the client wants the files expanded--LOOK OUT. You may be surprised
at numeric date fields with space, low-values, high-values, etc. Be
prepared for SOC7's! File conversion programs to be written must be
quite detailed in editing the files.

Richard J. Jackson
Houston, Taxes. (d**n - I did it again)

Mon, 27 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 165 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]