Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.
Author Message
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

/Jim/
--
James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:
>> Everyone wins.  No one's a pig, the job gets done, and we all end up
>> with a pile of cash.
>Providing the job is interesting.. I'm quitting this place at the end of
>my contract, because I'm not enjoying it - I don't want to work here
>anymore, so I'm moving on. Money isn't everything.
>> I'm currently in rate negotiation with my prime and our client.  If they
>> were smart, they would offer me more than I'm asking, just in case, just
>> for insurance, just to put the golden hand{*filter*}on.  Instead I'm hearing
>> some whining about my $18/hour increase.  We'll see.
>No-one is indispensable - you (generically) may be good, but there will
>be someone else out there willing to come in and pick up.. It just
>depends whether the company is prepared to take that risk.

Anybody can be replaced; sometimes it just takes half a dozen people!

Just ask one of my former employers.
--
Bernd Felsche {speaking for himself}
MetaPro Systems Pty Ltd, Redcliffe, Western Australia

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
> count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

> /Jim/
> --
> James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

Thanks for the cheering word, James.

As an old New Yorker looking to return to the City as soon as the last
of our youngesters is off to college, I had been wondering if the DC
area was the only spot for old COBOL/Assembler talent.

Take care, and "give my regards to Broadway" :-)

Bal
--

http://www.geocities.com/~oberoi
-----

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

>    Cory Hamasaki's DC Y2K Weather Report # 8
>           "A Wonderful Mainframe Spring"
>     (c) 1997 Cory Hamasaki

> The Cherry blossems are blooming, spring has come to Washington DC and
> CIOs at local companies are starting to panic, "Where did all the
> mainframe programmers go?"

Rare form, Cory!

By the way, although I haven't heard a confirmed report, I was told by
someone who knows someone at American Express here in Salt Lake, that
they gave their programmers a $7,000 increase in their salaries to keep
them around.  It's the first report like this I've heard.  American
Stores, which is a large food retailer that originated from Salt Lake
City, recently moved its headquarters back to Utah.  They are building a
new, thirty-story building.

American Stores has been running ads from everything from systems
programmers to programmer/analyst.  They're trying to swipe anyone they
can.  No salaries listed.  They have lured people from state government
and, I suppose, is why American Express raised their programmer's
salaries.  State government's idea of market comparables is a 2.75%
increase.  Geez, aren't we generous.  Like most government, management
won't realize their staff has bolted until they stroll the halls and
notice all the black monitors and will think everyone is just on break.

Almost all of the ads in the paper are non-mainframe/Cobol.  Utah has
always had very high per capita computerization.  The placements may be
through private agencies--I just don't know.

Mike Dodas

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> American Stores has been running ads from everything from systems
> programmers to programmer/analyst.  They're trying to swipe anyone they
> can.  No salaries listed.  They have lured people from state government

Aha!  This may explain the recent increase in the *.jobs and *.ads
groups from Utah.  I was wondering what companies up there are in need
of mainframe skills...

Regards,
Doug McKibbin

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

>By the way, although I haven't heard a confirmed report, I was told by
>someone who knows someone at American Express here in Salt Lake, that
>they gave their programmers a $7,000 increase in their salaries to keep
>them around.  It's the first report like this I've heard.  American
>Stores, which is a large food retailer that originated from Salt Lake
>City, recently moved its headquarters back to Utah.

Express or Stores?  Whatever, I wish I could have seen the happy smiles
on the programmer's faces when they got the news.  $7,000/year is like
getting a free car and a vacation.  Those hardworking programmers
deserved every cent.

Quote:

>American Stores has been running ads from everything from systems
>programmers to programmer/analyst.  They're trying to swipe anyone they
>can.  No salaries listed.

Management is trying to be 'cool'.  They don't realize it's too late for
that, they, we, the civilized world is in survival mode now.  Have they
resorted to {*filter*}ping yet?   If you {*filter*} someone, beat them,
starve them, keep them in a dark closet, sometimes they'll fall in love
with you; that's what happened to Patty Hearst and some hostages in
Europe about fif{*filter*} years ago, one woman who was brutalized, decided
to marry the terrorist.  That's the approach that management
used to take with programmers.

I prefer a management that lavishes expensive presents on us. Luxury
cars, big bags of money, Godiva chocolates at the coffee machine, a
live piano player in the company cafeteria, fresh cut flowers on our
desks in the morning.

Quote:

>Almost all of the ads in the paper are non-mainframe/Cobol.  Utah has
>always had very high per capita computerization.  The placements may be
>through private agencies--I just don't know.

Yes, Novell, WordPerfect, etc.  The mainframe, legacy, Y2K, hiring panic
is just beginning.  I spoke with my graduate school S/390 assembly
language professor yesterday, <James Earl Jones - Darth Vader
voice, "Yes, my master.">  He asked if there were Y2K consulting jobs
and I told him that for guys like him, big, big buck, heavy duty
experts, that the rates weren't high enough yet.

How high does it have to be to get "the Galactic Emperor" to crank code,
I wouldn't go to him with less than $250/hour in my pocket.  How expert
is "the evil magician",  he built an 8088 interpreter using S/390
assembly language and ran Lotus 123 1A* on a watercooled mainframe on a
3270 using PF keys.

"Yes, my master."

Quote:
>Mike Dodas

Cory Hamasaki       http://www.*-*-*.com/
HHResearch Co.      OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:
>How high does it have to be to get "the Galactic Emperor" to crank code,
>I wouldn't go to him with less than $250/hour in my pocket.  How expert
>is "the evil magician",  he built an 8088 interpreter using S/390
>assembly language and ran Lotus 123 1A* on a watercooled mainframe on a
>3270 using PF keys.

Not just an 80** interpreter, but a DOS system emulator as well.

Cory, My very best wishes for your stepdaughter's speady recovery.

Rick Plotke

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

> In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
> count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

> /Jim/

One problem.  EDS is the Auschwitz of computer companies.

$2500/hr would not be enough.

---
Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"...I am opposed to all attempts to license or restrict the arming of
individuals...I consider such laws a violation of civil liberty,
subversive of democratic political institutions, and self-defeating
in their purpose."
        - Robert Heinlein, in a 1949 letter concerning "Red Planet"

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:
>In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
>count'em 73, COBOL programmers.
>/Jim/
>--
>James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

and from Monday's NYT article on Y2K:

Quote:
>George Luntz, the president of Allegiant, knows that he and his fellow
>"Cobol cowboys" are not the most popular vendors in America right now.
<snip>
>Luntz said that qualified Cobol programmers now demand annual salaries
>of $100,000 to $200,000 -- and the price is going up. Which is why he
>predicts that his firm's $1,200 daily rate for Cobol consultants is
>likely to double over the next 18 months.

over to Cory ...

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

Quote:

>>In todays New York Times, an EDS ad says they are looking for 73,
>>count'em 73, COBOL programmers.

>>/Jim/
>>--
>>James P. Egan    | Integrated Architectures, Inc.

>and from Monday's NYT article on Y2K:

>>George Luntz, the president of Allegiant, knows that he and his fellow
>>"Cobol cowboys" are not the most popular vendors in America right now.
><snip>
>>Luntz said that qualified Cobol programmers now demand annual salaries
>>of $100,000 to $200,000 -- and the price is going up. Which is why he
>>predicts that his firm's $1,200 daily rate for Cobol consultants is
>>likely to double over the next 18 months.

>over to Cory ...

B-b-but what can I say?  I'm a C/C++, PL/I, ASM/370 systems programmer
with a Masters in Computer Science and I'm struggling to get my
consulting rate up to what he's paying COBOL-heads as a salary!!!!

I am happy for them but I didn't think we see these numbers
until the end of this year or early next.  $1,200/day is twenty-four
thousand dollars a month!  Two hundred eighty-eight thousand dollars a
year.

I've been making jokes about COBOL programmers buying Mercedes and
yelling at the sales people for taking too long to do the paperwork.  If
you're billing out at $288,000/year, $38,000 for a Mercedes is pocket
change.

He's predicting a half million a year for a COBOL-head?  This IS
America!  Ya gotta love free enterprise.  I am proud to be a coder-geek!

Cory Hamasaki      http://www.kiyoinc.com
HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 165 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]