370 Assembler Emulation
Author Message
 370 Assembler Emulation

Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM P.C.?
Part of my college program involves 370 assembler programming, and I would
like a package that would emulate a 370 assembler, so I can test code
at home and not have to on the mainframe at school.

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm370
>Subject: 370 Assembler Emulation
>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 03:46:15 +1000

>Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM P.C.?

There is one available (If I remember well) at Simtel.

Fri, 06 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation

c>Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM P.C.?
c>Part of my college program involves 370 assembler programming, and I
c>would like a package that would emulate a 370 assembler, so I can test
c>code at home and not have to on the mainframe at school.

Our school uses a shareware package called PC370 by Don Higgins.
Apparently he sold his package to a company that now markets a
commercial version which is much more powerful.  (He can be reached at

shareware version works well for what you intend however, and is often
much easier to debug than the mainframe.  I really don't know where it
might be posted, but I can UUencode if necessary.

Steve

Steven R. Drake, TSUD, Dothan, Alabama
Message entered at 9:10PM CST on 08/21/95
Standard disclaimer applies.

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.012 - (C) PBE

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation

Quote:
>Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM P.C.?
>Part of my college program involves 370 assembler programming, and I would
>like a package that would emulate a 370 assembler, so I can test code
>at home and not have to on the mainframe at school.

Look at the Micro Focus 370 assembler for the PC.
It handle the basic's of 370/assembly language,
included QSAM and, possible, VSAM I/O.

Sam

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation
How would you test DCB references to files?

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation

Quote:

>c>Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM

P.C.?

Snip ...

If you can get access to an IBM mainframe, have a look at SPASM,
John Ehrman's Single Pass ASseMbler.  He was (? still is ?) at SLAC
(= Stanford Linear Accelerator); you could check the SHARE Library
in case it wound up there.  It assembled live 360/370 machine code
into a data area (with gorgeous error messages when the
extensive error checking found anything suspect by 'student'
standards) and then called a 360/370 error-checking emulator to
'run' the code.  I used it to build the first cut of a student
batch system 'way back when.

There was also an assembler called ASSIST from Penn State U.; it
had a 360/370 on 360/370 emulator as a part of its works, but the
main intent of ASSIST was as a test bed for compiler/assembler
parts for a senior undergraduate course.

All the best !

John H. Lindsay,
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Royal Military College of Canada, (**)
Kingston, Ontario, Canada,  K7K 5L0.

Phone:          (613) 541-6000 Extension 6419
Fax:            (613) 542-8129

(**) Royal Military College is both a degree-granting university
and the military college for Canada's Armed Forces (our Army,
Navy and Air Force are all parts of just one organization which
is VERY frequently called on for U.N. peacekeeping service).
R.M.C. is small; we only had 750 undergraduates until just
recently, and will have about 900 in the future due to Canada
having seriously downsized the military and closed our other two
Military Colleges, Royal Roads Military College in Victoria,
British Columbia, and College Militaire Royal in Saint-Jean,
Quebec (We'll miss them!).  The students and a few staff were
transferred here.  We have about 200 graduate students and we
have programmes in Engineering, Arts, and the hard Sciences.  In
spite of R.M.C.'s size, we seem to produce a Rhodes Scholar
every 2 or 3 years.

Mon, 09 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation

Quote:
>If you can get access to an IBM mainframe, have a look at SPASM,
>John Ehrman's Single Pass ASseMbler.  He was (? still is ?) at SLAC
>(= Stanford Linear Accelerator); you could check the SHARE Library
>in case it wound up there.

John Ehrman is now in charge of IBM's High Level Assembler (HLA) at
the Santa Theresa Labs south of San Jos. It has some very nice
extensions to older assemblers such as named USING.

Fritz

Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assembler Emulation
Quote:

>>Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm370
>>Subject: 370 Assembler Emulation
>>Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 03:46:15 +1000

>>Can anyone recommend a 370 assembler emulator package for an IBM P.C.?

>There is one available (If I remember well) at Simtel.

Micro Focus has one as well.

Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. MCA emulation board for a 370

2. IBM 370 emulation

3. Q: Free 370 Assembler?

4. Shareware 370 environment and assembler under Linux?

5. Assembler 370 compiler.....Windows/DOS

6. Source for 370 assembler?

7. Writing Windows programs in 370 Assembler

8. 370 Assembler to run on pc

9. Running 370 Assembler on Intel Machines

10. FA: Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370

11. Palm Pilot app for Assembler 370/390 programemrs

12. 370 X-assembler