Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV
Author Message
 Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV

In JCL I would like to pass a hex timestamp (from say a DB2 DBRM) via
PGM=STCK,PARM='AF..'  and pass this informtion to the STCKCONV macro
(off the top of my head) on a doubleword boundary in a format it can
handle. Must I create a translation table?. Whats the best method?

Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV

Quote:

> In JCL I would like to pass a hex timestamp (from say a DB2 DBRM) via
> PGM=STCK,PARM='AF..'  and pass this informtion to the STCKCONV macro
> (off the top of my head) on a doubleword boundary in a format it can
> handle. Must I create a translation table?. Whats the best method?

The JCL PARM= field can only contain character data so what you need
is in your program a small routine converting from HEX "display" to
HEX "packed" format. This should be a two-step process:
1: Translate C'0123456789ABCDEF' into
X'000102030405060708090A0B0C0D0E0F'
while flagging any other source character as "invalid", and
2: PACK the source field (plus one extra character) into the destination
field (again plus one extra character)

(The translate target table zone half-bytes can of course have any
value,
because they are ignored by the PACK instruction)

hth

regards Sven

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV

Quote:

>> In JCL I would like to pass a hex timestamp (from say a DB2 DBRM) via
>> PGM=STCK,PARM='AF..'  and pass this informtion to the STCKCONV macro
>> (off the top of my head) on a doubleword boundary in a format it can
>> handle. Must I create a translation table?. Whats the best method?

>The JCL PARM= field can only contain character data

Not exactly true. I remember multi-punching PARM values to create
the needed hex values. You had to be careful with hex that corresponded
with the single quote character, and double that one. And probably
others like ampersand.

john alvord

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Passing parm hex parm to STCKCONV

Quote:
>Not exactly true. I remember multi-punching PARM values to create
>the needed hex values. You had to be careful with hex that corresponded
>with the single quote character, and double that one. And probably
>others like ampersand.

And recall that in early levels of OS/360 when SUPERZAP was still an
"underground" FE tool, you couldn't use "DSN=FORMAT4.DSCB" but had to
multipunch 44 x'04' characters on the DD card.
--
Rich Greenberg    Work:  PM0RMG atsign WSPVM1.worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign netcom.com    +1 770-321-6507

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. App to App parm passing in 2.003

2. How to Pass parm to PRO*CoBOL program in UNIX environment

3. HELP!! Micro Focus COBOL Parm Passing

4. Passing (Python) COM Object as Method Parm

5. C functions with variable parm lists

6. InputBox 3rd parm

7. why no function(parm)^ in the Modula-2 language

8. From PARM= to PROC DIV USING?

9. CALL prog USING parm BY DESCRIPTOR

10. Graphing program, parm program, etc.

11. exec help: called prog loses * parm

12. Hex to Bin, Bin to Hex, Hex to Dec, Dec to Hex