Logging User activities in P390
Author Message
 Logging User activities in P390

We are running os/390 V2.4 on P390 box. Currently different users are
accessing the system through internet. We intend to do the following:

1. Control when a user can login/how long (s)he can use the system [say,
user1 can login only at 8:00am and use upto 5:00pm]

2. Log total CPU-time consumed by the user [thru different jobs etc..]

3. Restrict a user to a specific volume for dataset allocation

Can someone help me on how to achieve the above? Our regular SP has left the
organization and I have been told by my boss to look after this task. I am a
senior developer and trying to learn systems side. With the help of 'Gurus'
in this group, I feel I can learn a lot.

TIA.
Thomas.

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:55:57 GMT
 Logging User activities in P390

Quote:
>1. Control when a user can login/how long (s)he can use the system [say,
>user1 can login only at 8:00am and use upto 5:00pm]

The RACF profile of a user controls the logon time.  Use the ALTUSER
command to change a user's profile:

   ALTUSER USER1 WHEN(DAYS(MONDAY TUESDAY) TIME(0800:1700))

Quote:
>2. Log total CPU-time consumed by the user [thru different jobs etc..]

This information is (at least, can be) collected by System Management
Facility (SMF); once SMF records are collected, you have to archive them
regularly to be able to process them with a reporting program that you
will have to write because I don't think that MVS provides any standard
way to summarise and/or print SMF data.

Quote:
>3. Restrict a user to a specific volume for dataset allocation

SystemManaged Storage (SMS) is the preferred way to do this, although
learning how to set it up isn't a 5-minute job.  There are also
system-level allocation exits, but this may not be an easier solution
unless you're trained to write authorised code.

BTW, this forum isn't the proper place for this type of question; try the
IBM-MAIN or P370-L lists instead.

 Gilbert Saint-flour
 Automated Migration Services
 http://members.home.net/gsf/

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:20:01 GMT
 Logging User activities in P390

:>>1. Control when a user can login/how long (s)he can use the system [say,
:>>user1 can login only at 8:00am and use upto 5:00pm]

:>The RACF profile of a user controls the logon time.  Use the ALTUSER
:>command to change a user's profile:

:>   ALTUSER USER1 WHEN(DAYS(MONDAY TUESDAY) TIME(0800:1700))

That will not force off the user at 5:00 PM.

:>>2. Log total CPU-time consumed by the user [thru different jobs etc..]

:>This information is (at least, can be) collected by System Management
:>Facility (SMF); once SMF records are collected, you have to archive them
:>regularly to be able to process them with a reporting program that you
:>will have to write because I don't think that MVS provides any standard
:>way to summarise and/or print SMF data.

Why do you want to do this?

:>>3. Restrict a user to a specific volume for dataset allocation

:>SystemManaged Storage (SMS) is the preferred way to do this, although
:>learning how to set it up isn't a 5-minute job.  There are also
:>system-level allocation exits, but this may not be an easier solution
:>unless you're trained to write authorised code.

:>BTW, this forum isn't the proper place for this type of question; try the
:>IBM-MAIN or P370-L lists instead.

IBM-MAIN would be the way to go.

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:45:35 GMT

1. Activity Log Template - new version released

2. Public Ada Library Activity Logs

3. Public Ada Library Activity Logs

4. !!!Invitation to New York Smalltalk User Group activities!!!

5. User (in)activity

6. Detect User activity in App

7. Detecting user activity in Python

8. emulation of users activities for TCL/TK programm

9. User logging out

10. Getting currently logged in user name in VisualWorks

11. Getting Winows NT logged on user from Visual Works

12. BITNET users ... mail logs