TPF Assembler to TPF C
Author Message
 TPF Assembler to TPF C

One of the last great bastions of assembler, the TPF networks (airlines,
credit card authorizations, ATMs, hotel reservations, car reservations,
consumer loans, etc.) seem to be under siege by C/C++.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes a competent TPF assembler
programmer to become productive using C or C++?

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TPF Assembler to TPF C

Quote:

>One of the last great bastions of assembler, the TPF networks (airlines,
>credit card authorizations, ATMs, hotel reservations, car reservations,
>consumer loans, etc.) seem to be under siege by C/C++.

>Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes a competent TPF assembler
>programmer to become productive using C or C++?

In some ways C is just a high-level assembler. Learning it shouldn't
take more than a couple of weeks. From my experience teaching this to
others, the biggest thing to remember is that a C pointer is only
similar to, and not exactly the same as, an Assembler address.

Learning C++ can be quite a bit more difficult, if you need to learn the
entire language (classes, templates, Standard Library, etc.).

--
No electrons were injured in the preparation of this message.

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TPF Assembler to TPF C

Quote:

> One of the last great bastions of assembler, the TPF networks (airlines,
> credit card authorizations, ATMs, hotel reservations, car reservations,
> consumer loans, etc.) seem to be under siege by C/C++.

> Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes a competent TPF assembler
> programmer to become productive using C or C++?

That depends...

The TPF environment is still quite "assembler aware" (everything
is hung off of the ecb, etc..)   But, this can be nicely abstracted in C
(even more so in C++.)

Some some of the larger TPF shops are quickly moving to C and C++.
And, I understand, they have enjoyed quite an increase in programmer
productivity in doing so...

[And, to put in a small adverti{*filter*}t - using Systems/C to do it.]

But, as far as someone changing from one language to another... that
can be difficult...  for some people, programming is programming and
the language doesn't matter.  For others, it's not as straightforward.

But, I believe you might want to consider a similar, but different
question...
How difficult is it to find competent assembler programmers vs. how
difficult is it to find competent C progammers?

    - Dave Rivers -

--

Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 TPF Assembler to TPF C

Quote:

>>Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes a competent TPF assembler
>>programmer to become productive using C or C++?

>In some ways C is just a high-level assembler. Learning it shouldn't
>take more than a couple of weeks. From my experience teaching this to
>others, the biggest thing to remember is that a C pointer is only
>similar to, and not exactly the same as, an Assembler address.

I certainly agree. The problem I had was the syntax of C. I knew
exactly what I wanted to do in terms of Assembly code but couldn't
figure out how to "express myself" for quite a while. There is an
older book titled "Using C Pointers" or something similar. I can
repost with the exact cie including SBN if interested.

--
Regards,

Alex, kx9i
98 PC800

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. TPF Assembler to TPF C

2. TPF Group: COMP.OS.TPF - The Group is up and running

3. If you're a TPF'er check out the Alternative TPF Homepage

4. Personal TPF Download (Simulated S390/TPF System)

5. TPF Resource Page

6. No TPF Jobs?

7. any TPF programmers around here ?

8. New Software for TPF Productivity coming this summer

9. TPF News Group?

10. TPF overview?

11. TPF Programming Opportunity

12. 02:RESULT: comp.os.tpf moderated passes 210:9