MVS System Logger
Author Message
 MVS System Logger

Hi!

I am looking for a user experience on using this MVS component,
especially at the development level.

Is it easy to implement?  Do we need extensive recovery code?  Etc.

P.S. I haven't found any MVS news group.  Is the present group
appropriate for my question?

Christian Grenier
ISM

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MVS System Logger
The "MVS" group is disguised as bit.listserv.ibm-main.  It is a
listserver and I have observed that the Usenet gated version is less
than stellar.

To subscribe to the listserver, e-mail the one-line message

SUBSCRIBE IBM-MAIN <Firstname> <Lastname>

and follow the directions that will be returned to you.

Bob

Quote:

> Hi!

> I am looking for a user experience on using this MVS component,
> especially at the development level.

> Is it easy to implement?  Do we need extensive recovery code?  Etc.

> P.S. I haven't found any MVS news group.  Is the present group
> appropriate for my question?

> Christian Grenier
> ISM

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 MVS System Logger
: Hi!

: I am looking for a user experience on using this MVS component,
: especially at the development level.

I have *lots* of experience with System Logger, but only for a read-only
application.

: Is it easy to implement?

Implementing System Logger is not difficult.  However, writing code that
interfaces with it is no "walk in the park."  I don't mean to scare you
off, but you should make sure you use an experienced programmer on this
project.

Take a look at OS/390 MVS Assembler Services Guide.  If you plan to write
a simple, one address space program that writes and reads back a log, that
should be easy enough.  If you plan to write a multi-system, multi-address
space application that writes to a log for recovery or backout purposes,
it can get hairy.  Depending upon how reliable your system needs to be,
you may need to consider ENF listen exits, resource managers, log stream
duplexing, coupling facility time-stamp updating, etc.

: Do we need extensive recovery code?  Etc.

Recovery scenarios can range from simple to complex, depending upon your
needs.  If you can tolerate abends and job termination, LOGR's resource
managers will clean up your connections for you.  Otherwise, you will need
to more more rigorous.  There are *lots* of return code / reason code
combinations you may need to examine to ensure you can tolerate a wide
range of possible data corruption / missing data scenarios in your log
stream data.

: P.S. I haven't found any MVS news group.  Is the present group
: appropriate for my question?

The other followup answered this partially.  You can also get to IBM-MAIN
via USENet as 'bit.listserv.ibm-main'.  Of course, even if you use that
access technique, you will still need to subscribe in the manner indicated
by the other followup.  There are also MVS-oriented customer forums on
IBM's TalkLink that are quite good.

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                | Voice:      (310) 338-0400 x318     |
| Mgr., Research & Development   | Facsimile:  (310) 338-0801          |

| 9841 Airport Blvd, Suite 700   | IBM Mail:   USS24J24 at IBMMAIL     |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | Web page:   www.phoenixsoftware.com |

Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

2. US-CA-LA: MVS Systems Programmer

3. Looking for book: Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces for IBM Systems and Application Programmers

4. MVS/JES2/WTO(R)/CONSOLE AS/MPF exit/SUB SYSTEM

5. execute / list forms of MVS system macros

6. Writing to the console in MVS systems

7. Writting to the console on MVS system.

8. Writing to the console on MVS systems

9. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

10. USA CA Norwalk - IBM MVS-OS/390 Systems Programmer

11. for MVS system programmers

12. MVS Systems Programmer needed!