MVS Port ?
Author Message
 MVS Port ?

: > Anyone considering/done/doing a MVS port of PGP ?

: Hmmm...  I guess this would be legal if you are ViaCrypt, if you are
: outside the US, or if you have an MVS box for non-commercial use.

I thought the code that was legally questionable was removed from an
early version of PGP.  PGP for DOS is freeware.  The lawsuit against the
author of PGP concerns the export of munitions technology which covers
encryption.  Even if the lawsuit is won by our government the issue of
preventing the proliferation of encryption technology is already largely
lost.  Robust encryption is necessary for commerce using
telecommunications, both domestic and international, so we loose two
times if the government wins this case (once on international proliferation
and once on international commerce).

"Knowledge does not corrupt, unless it is arrogant; but then it is not
true knowledge" - Elie Wiesel

 -,-,-.      .   .                 ,---.     .    .      .
  | | | ,-. -|-  |-.  ,-. , , ,    |   ' ,-. |  ,-| ,-. -|- ,-. ;  -,-.
  | ; | ,-|  |   | |  |-' |/|/     | ,-- | | |  | | `-.  |  |-' |   | |
  '   | `-^  `-  ' `- `-' ' `-     `---| `-' `- `-' `-'  `- `-' `-  ' `-

Tue, 14 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MVS Port ?

Quote:

>I thought the code that was legally questionable was removed from an
>early version of PGP.  PGP for DOS is freeware.  The lawsuit against the

Earlier versions of PGP used code which allegedly infringed upon some
US-only patents owned by PKP, which is co-owned or otherwise linked with
RSA.  The latest US versions are freeware for non-commercial use but are
not free for commercial use.  This is a restriction of the RSA toolkit
which PGP now uses.  Non-US PGP versions are freeware and are not
restricted to non-commercial use.  However, they are not legal for use
in the US since they infringe on the US-only patents.

Neat, huh?  So how would you get a copy running on MVS unless you run
your MVS box for fun *OR* you get ViaCrypt to port it?  ViaCrypt is the
company that distributes the commercial US version of PGP and channels
money to PKP/RSA for use of their patents.  That was my point.

Recommended reading: PGP by Simson Garfinkel from O'Reilly & Associates.

Thu, 16 Apr 1998 02:00:00 GMT

1. ISE Eiffel Port to IBM OpenEdition MVS

2. Trace Cobol/MVS (LE/MVS) dynamic CALL

3. (MVS) Writing a REXX function in MVS C

4. MVS and MVS JCL Users Group/Info Sources

5. US - FL - S.E. ****MVS/CICS PROGRAMMERS (UNIX,MVS/TSO,ISPF,COBOL)****CONTRACT

6. How do I FTP load modules from MVS-->PC-->MVS

7. Printing to LPT port or COM port

8. How to make paraller port be a com port

9. port parallele sous windows 2000 and port.vi?

10. Port I/O through serial port on sound card

11. How to avoid unexpected pulse on a port when I operate on other port on 6025E

12. In Port.vi / Out Port.vi