370 Assy to 'C' Conversion
Author Message
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Can any of you esteemed 370 Assy GURUs point me in the right direction ? We have a client with legacy
370 Assy Code that we want to convert to 'C' to allow our 'C' GURUs to restructure it. Do any of you know
any company, service, or application that can accomplish this task? We currently do not have the resources
or time to learn 370 Assy and do this ourselves....Thanks in advance for your advice, Pat.

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Quote:
>Can any of you esteemed 370 Assy GURUs point me in the right direction ? We have a client with legacy
>370 Assy Code that we want to convert to 'C' to allow our 'C' GURUs to restructure it. Do any of you know
>any company, service, or application that can accomplish this task? We currently do not have the resources
>or time to learn 370 Assy and do this ourselves....Thanks in advance for your advice, Pat.

   If you tell us where you're located and the approximate number
of lines of Assembler code, you might get some offers.

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Quote:

>and what you intend to do makes no logical or economic sense.

Mark makes a good point.  While there are two 'decompiliation' levels that I
would consider implementing, it is not clear that either buys you very much
except some intellectual satisfaction.

You could translate ASM370 into line by line C, remap an MVCL to a strncpy().
When you are done, you would have more lines of C than lines of ASM370.

You could 'improve' the decompilation by looking for 'macro expansions' and
other common sequences and remap those to specially written C functions.

Unless you have an enormous amount of very dull repetitive ASM370, you
would be better off redesigning it and rewritting it from scratch.

If all you want to do is 'port' the asm370 to Unix, I can do that easily.
I (this is a commercial) sell a product that runs all S/370 applications on
UnixWare.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Quote:

>Can any of you esteemed 370 Assy GURUs point me in the right direction ? We have a client with legacy
>370 Assy Code that we want to convert to 'C' to allow our 'C' GURUs to restructure it. Do any of you know
>any company, service, or application that can accomplish this task? We currently do not have the resources
>or time to learn 370 Assy and do this ourselves....Thanks in advance for your advice, Pat.

You've got to be smoking too much dope if you're serious with this !
OK, translating "C" to assombler is done every day by "C" compilers,
but the reverse is not only ludicrous and silly, but downright impossible.
The process of taken 370 assembler code and trying to translate it into
a high level language cannot be done automatically without some
in-depth research on the intended purpose of the assembly language.
I have 25 years of 370 BAL AND 10 years oc "C" and C++ experience
and what you intend to do makes no logical or economic sense.

You're better off figuring out the high-level spec and starting from
scratch in "C". A line-by-line prt even if possible, would give
very very BAD "C" code.

Mark

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Quote:

>>Can any of you esteemed 370 Assy GURUs point me in the right direction ? We have a client with legacy
>>370 Assy Code that we want to convert to 'C' to allow our 'C' GURUs to restructure it. Do any of you know
>>any company, service, or application that can accomplish this task? We currently do not have the resources
>>or time to learn 370 Assy and do this ourselves....Thanks in advance for your advice, Pat.

>You've got to be smoking too much dope if you're serious with this !
>OK, translating "C" to assombler is done every day by "C" compilers,
>but the reverse is not only ludicrous and silly, but downright impossible.

That is true, a generated C program would be of a poor quality in terms
of coding, but what if the guy is in a rush?

You assume he does not know what he's doing, but what if he knows?
I understand that you wont be very successful if you want to convert an
I/O routine, but remember the days when applications where developped
using asm? The only macros found there might be OPEN GET PUT and CLOSE,
so lets ask the question?

Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

Quote:

[snip]
>The process of taken 370 assembler code and trying to translate it into
>a high level language cannot be done automatically without some
>in-depth research on the intended purpose of the assembly language.
>I have 25 years of 370 BAL AND 10 years oc "C" and C++ experience
>and what you intend to do makes no logical or economic sense.

>You're better off figuring out the high-level spec and starting from
>scratch in "C". A line-by-line prt even if possible, would give
>very very BAD "C" code.

I participated in a project that translated Pick Assembly code for the
Pick system to C, and I know that Pick systems has done it as well for
both their main system and for their basic compiler.

They run circles around the original microprogrammed minis that ran this
code, and two custom processors that ran the assembly code as machine
code as well.

Even a "poor" match with current CPU's will be fine.  The main thing
this guy will miss is the mainframe's i/o.  The CPU code will move
fine.  We had no problem in particular with the main instructions, but
in getting a portable between Unix platforms system libraries.

What they intend will work well with a little planning and will work
in an adequate fashion even if they don't plan well.  By this, I mean
that they can analyze the specific translate model of the compiler and
target machine, and use a translator similar to ours to get the C code.
Then with an optimizer pass they should run fine on the target of choice.

We were surprised how well our code ran on each successive platform however
far from the original.

Sorry Mark.

Jim

Quote:

>Mark

url *new* http://www.realm.net/~jws

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 370 Assy to 'C' Conversion

:>Can any of you esteemed 370 Assy GURUs point me in the right direction ? We have a client with legacy
:>370 Assy Code that we want to convert to 'C' to allow our 'C' GURUs to restructure it. Do any of you know
:>any company, service, or application that can accomplish this task? We currently do not have the resources
:>or time to learn 370 Assy and do this ourselves....Thanks in advance for your advice, Pat.

Hey, if it is working why{*filter*}with it? If it isn't working I would
suggest re-specing it rather than translating it.

Binyamin Dissen

In the shadow of Ammunition Hill,
Jerusalem
A small part of Greater Israel
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sun, 25 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Run 370 Assembler on PC's

2. COBOL 370, DB2 CP'S NEEDED

3. Learning assy: I don't understand concept of CBW instruction

4. Conversion from Tandem 85 to IBM cobol 370

5. MF VS/Cobol to Cobol II/370 Conversion?

6. SUMMARY: Conversion of IBM 370 float to IEEE

7. Conversion of IBM 370 float to IEEE

8. unicode to 'normal' string conversion

9. unicode to 'normal' string conversion

10. FS/370 System/370 Emulator

11. 370 pseudo-ops (was: Questions on some 370 psuedo-ops {sic})

12. 370 pseudo-ops (was: Questions on some 370 psuedo-ops {sic})