Assembly language teaching on Unix
Author Message
 Assembly language teaching on Unix

What kinds of software tools are available for teaching
assembly language programming in a Unix environment?
I would be interested in hearing from anyone involved
in teaching an assembly language course on Unix systems.

Two particular questions are on my mind.  First, most "old"
assemblers (mainframes, many microcomputer systems, etc.)  can
generate assembly listings which show the generated code in
hex, the source, the symbol table, etc.  None of the Unix
assemblers I have seen seem to be able to do this.  Second, some
kind of symbolic debugging capability would be very useful.

The thought has crossed my mind of taking "gas", the GNU assembler
and hacking some listing generation and "gdb" de{*filter*} symbol
generation capabilities into it, but I'd rather not reinvent the
wheel if there is a simple solution that is already available.

We can't be the only university that has moved assembly teaching from
an old mainframe to a Unix system; what is everyone out there doing?
Advice, pointers to software, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Donald Winsor, Ph.D.
Senior Systems Research Programmer
Departmental Computing Organization
The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan

313-764-8543

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 02:07:55 GMT
[...]

Quote:

>We can't be the only university that has moved assembly teaching from
>an old mainframe to a Unix system; what is everyone out there doing?
>Advice, pointers to software, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Around here, they moved it from mainframe to PC's.
--
 /***************************************************************************\

\ Lietuva laisva -- Brivu Latviju -- Eesti vabaks  |  people; CRIMINALS do!!  /
 \***************************************************************************/

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 14:37:43 GMT
 Assembly language teaching on Unix

Quote:

>We can't be the only university that has moved assembly teaching from
>an old mainframe to a Unix system; what is everyone out there doing?
>Advice, pointers to software, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Around here, they moved it from mainframe to PC's.
--
 /***************************************************************************\

\ Lietuva laisva -- Brivu Latviju -- Eesti vabaks  |  people; CRIMINALS do!!  /
 \***************************************************************************/

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 14:37:43 GMT
 Assembly language teaching on Unix
We still teach assembler w/mainframe, using the ASSIST package of
macros to simplify I/O for the students. We're VSE, and they get
one partition for their use.

*                                                                 *
* Sr. Programmer/Analyst                    Supporting VSE  3.1.2 *
* UTM Computer Center                                  CICS 1.7   *
* The University of Tennessee at Martin                DL/I 1.7   *
* Martin, TN  38238                         Migrating to ESA July *

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 22:37:15 GMT
 Assembly language teaching on Unix

Quote:

>We can't be the only university that has moved assembly teaching from
>an old mainframe to a Unix system; what is everyone out there doing?
>Advice, pointers to software, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Here at Melbourne we teach M68000 on a simulator written in C running on a
Unix platform (ELEXSI and possibly ENCORE soon). I only tutor the subject
and don't know much about the simulator but I think it was written here, it
works and is quite robust and we've been using it for a coupke of years at
least.

Tim Arnold        | Law/Science (Computer Science)   |  simil iustus

Fri, 12 Nov 1993 10:40:45 GMT

1. Assembly language teaching on Unix

2. Assembly Language for TI-86 or the Z80 assembly Language

3. information or program which transfer high language to assembly language

4. Any good web site that teaching assembly?

5. High Level Language with Easy Calls to Assembly Language

6. College Instructor + Assembly Language = Dead Language

7. How close is Assembly Language to Machine Language?

8. What smalltalk to teach with? (Unix environments)

9. What smalltalk to teach with? (Unix environments)

10. Is C/C++ the dominant teaching language?

11. looking for something to write on how to teach LOGO language to children

12. a WWW page for sharing teaching about programming languages information