CFV: comp.lang.pl1 -- PL/I newsgroup
Author Message
 CFV: comp.lang.pl1 -- PL/I newsgroup

Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.fortran,comp.lang.misc,comp.lang.Pascal.ansi-iso,comp.lang.rexx,comp.os.vms,comp.sys.stratus,comp.unix.aix
Subject: CFV: comp.lang.pl1

Date: 13 Dec 1995 14:43:07 -0000

Expires: 4 Jan 1996 00:00:00 GMT

                     FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
                   unmoderated group comp.lang.pl1

Newsgroups line:
comp.lang.pl1           PL/I language discussions.

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 3 Jan 1996.

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  Questions about
this proposal should be directed to the proponent.

RATIONALE: comp.lang.pl1

This newsgroup will provide a focus for discussions on PL/I
language issues.  Currently discussions take place on various
places including comp.lang.misc and a mailing list, but few
netters know where to begin looking for PL/I discussions, and it
is difficult to find out information about PL/I.  Users of
other languages will use the newsgroup to assist in
interfacing with PL/I.  You should vote for this group because
you'll have ready contact with other PL/I users.

CHARTER: comp.lang.pl1

   The principal focus for a PL/I newsgroup would be a forum to
discuss programming issues, to provide a ready access to assistance
on programming problems, implementation differences, and the like.

   It would also be a vehicle for announcements about developments
in PL/I, information on PL/I sites on the www, and so on.

   It could be used to seek and exchange programs.

   Examples of issues that could be discussed:

   * New developments in the PL/I language (and especially PL/I
     for OS/2 and AIX);

   * Interfacing PL/I with other languages and vice versa;

   * Using PL/I in the PC environment

   * Developing PL/I programs on the PC for the mainframe and
     vice versa;

   * Porting PL/I programs to other platforms;

   * Taking over legacy PL/I code, and maintaining/developing it.

   This newsgroup should be of interest to all programmers (PL/I and
other languages).

END CHARTER.

HOW TO VOTE

Your e-mail message should contain one and only one of the following
statements:

      I vote YES on comp.lang.pl1
      I vote NO on comp.lang.pl1

You may also vote ABSTAIN or CANCEL; these are not counted as votes and
don't affect the vote count.

VOTING PROCEDURE NOTES:

Standard Guidelines for voting apply.  One person, one vote.  Votes must
be mailed directly from the voter to the votetaker.  Anonymous,
forwarded or proxy votes are not valid; this includes votes generated by
WWW/HTML/CGI forms.

Vote counting is automated.  Failure to follow these directions may mean
that your vote does not get counted.  If you do not receive an
acknowledgment of your vote within three days, contact the votetaker
about the problem.  It's your responsibility to make sure your vote is
registered correctly.  Duplicate votes are resolved in favor of the most
recent valid vote.  Addresses and votes of all voters will be published
in the final voting results post.

The purpose of a Usenet vote is to determine the genuine interest of
persons who would read a proposed newsgroup.  Soliciting votes from
disinterested parties defeats this purpose.  Please do not distribute
this CFV.  If you must, direct people to the official CFV as posted to
news.announce.newgroups.  Distributing pre-marked or otherwise edited
copies of this CFV is generally considered to be vote fraud.  When in
doubt, ask the votetaker.

DISTRIBUTION:

This Call for Votes is being posted to the following newsgroups:

        comp.lang.misc
        comp.lang.fortran
        comp.lang.pascal.ansi-iso
        comp.lang.rexx
        comp.lang.c
        comp.lang.c++
        comp.os.vms
        comp.unix.aix
        comp.sys.stratus

This Call for Votes is also being sent to the following mailing lists:

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. PL/I Newsgroup comp.lang.pl1 exists now

2. 2nd CFV: comp.lang.pl1

3. CFV: comp.lang.pl1

4. 2nd CFV: comp.lang.pl1

5. CFV: comp.lang.pl1

6. 2nd CFV: comp.lang.pl1

7. CFV: comp.lang.pl1

8. CFV - FRANCOPHONE newsgroup fr.comp.lang.tcl

9. comp.lang.pl1, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

10. CFV: comp.lang.cobol

11. CFV: comp.lang.asm.x86

12. CFV: comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin