Y2K and SYSLOG
Author Message
 Y2K and SYSLOG

I am currently writing a program to extract data from SYSLOG the
date held in each line of the log appears to be the system date
unpacked into character format ie CYYYDDD, 7 bytes.

I deduce this from seeing the Syslog under a version of SDSF which
is supposed to be Y2K compliant where the date is YYYDDD I preume
C=0 is suppressed from display. I assume on Jan 1, 2001 Syslog
will show 100001 as the date stamp.

I cannot really proceed with a supposition, can anyone confirm
this? If you check your Syslog there appears to be about 4 blank
bytes preceeding the displayed date, certainly enough for the date
to be displayed as CCYYDDD, hence my concern.

--

Ornum Software Ltd (S)   Tel/Fax:+44(0)181 570 8785
                    ~

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K and SYSLOG

Quote:

> I am currently writing a program to extract data from SYSLOG the
> date held in each line of the log appears to be the system date
> unpacked into character format ie CYYYDDD, 7 bytes.

> I deduce this from seeing the Syslog under a version of SDSF which
> is supposed to be Y2K compliant where the date is YYYDDD I preume
> C=0 is suppressed from display. I assume on Jan 1, 2001 Syslog
> will show 100001 as the date stamp.

> I cannot really proceed with a supposition, can anyone confirm
> this? If you check your Syslog there appears to be about 4 blank
> bytes preceeding the displayed date, certainly enough for the date
> to be displayed as CCYYDDD, hence my concern.

> --

> Ornum Software Ltd (S)   Tel/Fax:+44(0)181 570 8785
>                     ~

APAR OW18292 describes the support.  It adds a statement to CONSOLxx to
*optionally* present 4-bigit years in SYSLOG.  The mapping macro
IHAHCLOG is modified to support either format.  You're going to have to
at least read the mapping.

BR

Thu, 19 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Y2K and SYSLOG

There is a new sub-parm of the HARDCOPY parm in the CONSOLxx member.

The new sub-parm is "HCFORMAT(CENTURY)".  If you specify this the SYSLOG
shows YYYYDDD, if you leave it off it shows YYDDD.  There is no century
indicator.

I do not remember the APAR for this, but it's pretty easy to find in
IBMLink by using the new sub-parm.

Keep in mind that everything to the right of the date (which is damned
near everything) is shifted right by 2 bytes.

Mark

Fri, 20 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Y2K and SYSLOG

2. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

3. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

4. COBOL's HIGH-VALUE and Y2K problems (was Re: Engines to Die for Y2K

5. Y2K Weather Report # 8 - A Y2K spring.

6. Use awk to print syslog output to terminal with colors

7. Array bounds checking (was: [8lgm]-Advisory-22.UNIX.syslog.2-Aug-1995)

8. trapping command from syslog

9. Bug in syslog module?

10. simple syslog extension

11. syslog viewer (newbie question)