For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution
Author Message
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.  2-digit
years less than the anchor year will be considered new century
years and 2-digit years greater than or equal to the anchor
year will be considered old century years.  As each current
year goes by, the anchor year will slide up by one to the next
2-digit anchor year.

If, in 1997, it makes sense for your system to have 50 as
your anchor year, then you will subtract the constant 47
from the current system year to calculate the anchor year.

One of the first things in the program should be the
calculation of the anchor year.

If your current year is in four digits, then

ANCHOR-YEAR = LAST TWO DIGITS OF (CURRENT-SYSTEM-YEAR - 47).

If your current year is in two digits, then

ANCHOR-YEAR = CURRENT-SYSTEM-YEAR - 47
IF ANCHOR-YEAR < ZERO
   THEN ANCHOR-YEAR = ANCHOR-YEAR + 100.

You will want to override the calculated anchor year if
you are dealing with archived data.  You can do this in
IBM batch systems by using the PARM parameter of your
EXEC JCL statement.

IF PARM-ANCHOR-YEAR EXISTS
   THEN ANCHOR-YEAR = PARM-ANCHOR-YEAR.

OK, that's all there is to the code at the beginning
of the program.

Before each place where date comparisons are done, your
sliding window correction code will look like the following
(YEAR1 and YEAR2 are the 2-digit years of the dates being
compared):

IF YEAR1 < ANCHOR-YEAR  AND  YEAR2 >= ANCHOR-YEAR
   THEN GO TO existing-date1-greater-than-logic.
IF YEAR1 >= ANCHOR-YEAR  AND  YEAR2 < ANCHOR-YEAR
   THEN GO TO existing-date1-less-than-logic.
Continue with the next program statement as it originally was.

Dash's sliding window technique should work for systems
whose active dates are not separated by more than 99 years.

For more information on what else will be needed to be done
for programs, see the "Open and Shut Window Technique"
at:   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Dash Langan

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

<post #56938412 on open & shut window snipped>

Quote:
> Dash Langan

Still having trouble finding work, Dash?

________________________
Eric Buckley
Comsys Millenium Services
eMail: remove NoSpam from above
Standard disclaimer - I speak for myself and nobody else.

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

Quote:
>As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
>use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.  2-digit

<BIG OL' SNIPEROO>

Quote:
>Dash's sliding window technique should work for systems
>whose active dates are not separated by more than 99 years.

>For more information on what else will be needed to be done
>for programs, see the "Open and Shut Window Technique"
>at:  http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/3462/

>Dash Langan

Dash,

No flame intended, but *why* do you keep posting this stuff?  Is this
making money for you?  Could you at least take
alt.computer.consultants out of your SPAM list?

Thanks.

MH

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

Quote:

> <post #56938412 on open & shut window snipped>

> > Dash Langan

> Still having trouble finding work, Dash?

Ya know it kind of reminds me of when my two-year-old begs me to come see
what he did.... to come and look see the biggest diaper pile he's made,
and of course expecting praise and thanks all along the way  <g>

cwiley

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

Quote:

> As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
> use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.  2-digit
> years less than the anchor year will be considered new century
> years and 2-digit years greater than or equal to the anchor
> year will be considered old century years.  As each current
> year goes by, the anchor year will slide up by one to the next
> 2-digit anchor year.
> Dash Langan

Dash

I'm a bit confused about this.

Surely, If I have include this in each program that compares dates, I
still have to do a full impact analysis to identify which programs
require this change. And it will still take a huge amount of time to
implement and test this method.

Would I not be better off going and expanding the date fields to eight
characters and doing the job properly ????

I don't understand the advantage that your method would give me.

Is this not just away of sweeping it under the carpet, ie A QUICK FIX
!!!

Please note, I'm not saying it won't work, or can't work, but what
advantage would it give me over Expansion.

Mike.

PS - have you patented or copyrighted this method ???

PPS - Do I have to pay you royalties if I do decide to use it ????

Wed, 08 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

:>
:> As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
:> use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.

:PS - have you patented or copyrighted this method ???
:PPS - Do I have to pay you royalties if I do decide to use it ????

Dash Langan better not try to claim any propriatary rights to this method.
In the first place, this technique is far too obvious to be patented. In
the second place, I proposed this method to a client about five years ago,
and implemented it for another client last year -- at which time I had
never even heared of Dash Langan.

On the other hand, if Dash has developed documentation, or a set of
software tools, which help to implement this technique, than he is fully
entitled to copyright protection for those specific works.

Best,
        -- Chuck Crayne

Wed, 08 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

Quote:

>:>
>:> As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
>:> use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.

>:PS - have you patented or copyrighted this method ???
>:PPS - Do I have to pay you royalties if I do decide to use it ????

>Dash Langan better not try to claim any propriatary rights to this method.
>In the first place, this technique is far too obvious to be patented. In
>the second place, I proposed this method to a client about five years ago,
>and implemented it for another client last year -- at which time I had
>never even heared of Dash Langan.

Gee!!!  I can remember using it under instruction from my supervisor at
MacMillan Bloedel's head-office in Vancouver back in 1969.  And I hardly
think that it was new to him.  I remember receiving several pages of
documentation from my supervisor at that time, so unless Dash Langan is
in his 50s, at least, his only hope of receiving any money is by either
        a. Being so bright that he's developed a set of tools to perform
           automated impact analysis or sliding window date implementation,
or
        b. By working his fingers to the bone, and destroying his eyesight
           doing the necessary impact analyses.

Quote:

>On the other hand, if Dash has developed documentation, or a set of
>software tools, which help to implement this technique, than he is fully
>entitled to copyright protection for those specific works.

He might be able to copyright a specific new document, but there is
absolutely nothing that I've seen him post that I don't have ANCIENT
(i.e. mid 1960s) documentation for.

I've kept out of this discussion so far, simply because it has read like Dash
is simply trying to snow all of the PC types, or persuade some VERY young
technical group manager that Dash is an original thinker ... which I think
the majority of discussion on this newsgroup has shown to be either misleading
or else the symptom of a person who wants to steal credit for a technique
that he is aware of.

Thu, 09 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

Quote:

>:>
>:> As you should all know by now, sliding window techniques
>:> use a 2-digit anchor year as a point of reference.

>:PS - have you patented or copyrighted this method ???
>:PPS - Do I have to pay you royalties if I do decide to use it ????

As armies of programmers madly use a wide range of well-known techniques,
is another silent army madly trying to file patents on every technique
that might possibly relate to the Y2K issue... in this hopes that with
such vast amounts of money flying around, some might stick to the owner of
even the most questionable patent?

What ever happened to the cursor-XOR patent, BTW?

--
Daniel P. B. Smith

Thu, 09 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. For a Really Good Time, Check Out This Y2K Solution

2. Good News for Corps: Drive Down Rates as Desired w This Y2K Solution

3. This Y2K Solution w/o Testing is Better Than Nothing

4. Good News for Corps: Drive Down Rates as Desired w This Y2K Solution

5. This Y2K Solution w/o Testing is Better Than Nothing

6. Good News for Corps: Drive Down Rates as Desired w This Y2K Solution

7. This Y2K Solution w/o Testing is Better Than Nothing

8. Good News for Corps: Drive Down Rates as Desired w This Y2K Solution

9. This Y2K Solution w/o Testing is Better Than Nothing

10. Sockets and time-outs

11. Avoiding long time-outs when reusing sockets in SocketServer

12. Doing run-time checks at compile-time