IBM 370 ASM to C
Author Message
 IBM 370 ASM to C

I'm hoping you can help me with a couple problems.

First problem: I have a piece of old IBM 370 assembly language which I
would like to convert to C.  Do you know of any automated tools to do
this ?

Second problem:  I have an executable program which runs on an IBM 370,
for which the source code no longer exists.  I need to take that
executable and reconstruct source code from it.  Do you know of any
automated tools to do this ?

Thanks !!

                Bruce Tucker

                         Bruce E. Tucker
Engineer, Sparta, Inc. --- Ph.D. Student, Auburn University
      Office Telephone: 256-837-5282 Ext 2711
      Web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~betucker

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C

Quote:

>Second problem:  I have an executable program which runs on an IBM 370,
>for which the source code no longer exists.  I need to take that
>executable and reconstruct source code from it.  Do you know of any
>automated tools to do this ?

2 solutions:

1)  If you are actually at an IBM site, and if they have the HLASM
    Toolkit (separately-priced program product), there is a disassembler
    that comes as part of this package.

2)  If said site does not have the HLASM Toolkit, go to www.cbttape.org and
    download files 238 through 242.  If you aren't familiar with the CBT
    tape, browse around a bit.  You may have to become quickly familiar
    with the TSO commands XMIT and RECEIVE.  This is the freeware program
    on which #1 was based.  It works very well at reconstructing code; but
    you will definitely have to massage the resulting output.

The above is only valid if we are talking OS/390 or MVS.  VSE, you may be on
your own.

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins Roseville, California (soon Big Bear, Calif.) ICQ# 28901695
California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C

Quote:

> I'm hoping you can help me with a couple problems.

> First problem: I have a piece of old IBM 370 assembly language which I
> would like to convert to C.  Do you know of any automated tools to do
> this ?

> Second problem:  I have an executable program which runs on an IBM 370,
> for which the source code no longer exists.  I need to take that
> executable and reconstruct source code from it.  Do you know of any
> automated tools to do this ?

> Thanks !!

>                 Bruce Tucker

 It's not exactly converting to C, but you may want to look into Systems/C

(http://www.dignus.com).

 Systems/C can interface well with an existing ASM program (even  making
use of the existing prologue/epilogue macros)  This may make a
nice "stepping stone" toward your goal.  That is, rewrite a function from
ASM into C and test it in the existing environment, then rewrite the next,

etc...

    - Dave Rivers -

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C

Quote:
>2)  If said site does not have the HLASM Toolkit, go to www.cbttape.org
>and download files 238 through 242.  If you aren't familiar with the CBT
>tape, browse around a bit.  You may have to become quickly familiar
>with the TSO commands XMIT and RECEIVE.  This is the freeware program
>on which #1 was based.  It works very well at reconstructing code;
>but you will definitely have to massage the resulting output.

Forget about these pre-historic disassemblers which requires you to punch
control cards and go through multiple passes !

Get REASM in files 238-242 instead.  It's an interactive disassembler
written in PL/1 which runs as a dialog under ISPF.

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C
Actually, there are several companies out there with software to do just
that.  One I've seen demonstrated is from a company called SML.  Check them
out at http://www.smltd.com/

I haven't used the product, I've just seen a demo.

Quote:

--
Chuck Rush
Pond Rushes, http://members.home.net/crush11

N. Texas Water Garden Society, http://www.ntwgs.org
Anti-spam note - to reply, remove the _nojunkmail from the address.

Si fallatis officium, quaestor infitias eat se quicquam scire de factis
vestris.
If you fail, the secretary will disavow all knowledge of your activities.

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C
Hi Bruce,
I am working as 370 Assembler program for last couple of years.. and i havent
come across any such toll, Which converts 370 to c automatically...
I know u can create soucre code from executable using DISASSEMBLY option in
ABEND-AID ..but i dont know the exact  which vendor supply that..
well any question reply me at

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 370 ASM to C
Look into www.cbttape.org
The CBT Tape has many Utils, the One you are looking for is the Disassembly
program. It works on XA, ESA and OS/390. Otherwise you will have to have
HLASM to dissasembly a load module

Cheers, German

Bruce E. Tucker escribi en mensaje ...

Quote:

>I'm hoping you can help me with a couple problems.

>First problem: I have a piece of old IBM 370 assembly language which I
>would like to convert to C.  Do you know of any automated tools to do
>this ?

>Second problem:  I have an executable program which runs on an IBM 370,
>for which the source code no longer exists.  I need to take that
>executable and reconstruct source code from it.  Do you know of any
>automated tools to do this ?

>Thanks !!

> Bruce Tucker

>                         Bruce E. Tucker
>Engineer, Sparta, Inc. --- Ph.D. Student, Auburn University
>      Office Telephone: 256-837-5282 Ext 2711
>      Web: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~betucker

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM 370 ASM emulator from Micro Focus

2. IBM system 370

3. IBM Mainframe 370

4. OS for IBM 370

5. IBM/370 architecture specification

6. FA: Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370

7. IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

8. FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob

9. ibm pc/370 -- what is this beast???

10. IBM 370 Assembler Emulator for WIN95

11. Programming in OS Assembler Language for the IBM 370

12. ibm 370 emulator for Dos or Win?