Reading more than 133 bytes
Author Message
 Reading more than 133 bytes

Hi,
   How does one read more than 133 bytes into an assembler program?
I've written a program which is intended to read a file which has
been chopped up into small "packets" (sorta like Kermit) but if
I send it a packet with more than 135 bytes in it, things get truncated.

Here's the assembler code which does the read...

            WRTERM 'SEND PACKET>'                  prompt for next packet
            WAITT                                  make sure I/O is done
            RDTERM PACKET,EDIT=PHYS,LENGTH=1024    read the packet

PACKET is defined as

   PACKET   DS  CL1024                          packet buffer of 1k

Obviously, the reason I want to use a packet size larger than 133 is
to reduce the number of system interactions and speed up the file
transfer.  I know that typical CMS programs (written in Rexx, C, or
whatever), can't read more than 133 bytes from the console but there
is obviously some low level way around this because programs like
Kermit can send a packet with more than 1024 bytes each.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance...

Michael Hanrahan
Educational Computing Services
Washington University

Thu, 17 Dec 1992 21:03:00 GMT

1. Program lockup on AST 133

2. Canon Pentium 133, 16 MB, Complete System

3. 486 dx4/100 faster than p-133?

4. Printing to PC 133 characters

5. INFO-ADA Digest V93 #133

6. Which gui for slow (133 Mhz) pc

7. TIP #133: Extending [expr] Operators

8. list contains and tip 133

9. Reading bytes from a certain offset in order to search for bytes

10. Reading byte by byte ??

11. read-byte & write-byte considered inefficient