Shared Memory between two "cross-memory" CICS regions
Author Message
 Shared Memory between two "cross-memory" CICS regions

Ok, this is a strange question, but I can't see how my shop is the only
one that has ever run into it...err...I can't see how only one shop has
ever run into it I might say...

We have several CICS regions that (manually) load-balance applications
between them.  They all have access to the same files, queues, databases,
terminals, etc.  Recently an application that has worked wonderfully and
fine for years has started blowing up on very rare occasions.  The problem
has been traced to a shared-getmain pointer to a data area that is passed
in a "link" to a program on another region.  Historically, both programs
(the linker and the linkee) ran on the same region, and still do, but now
some small bunch of terminals come in through a second region and cause
one program to run on its region, and the linked program to run on a
remote region.  This causes a problem with passing a pointer.

When I heard about this problem my first thought was "hrumph!  In a
cross-memory system?  With IBM being the parent of the 'shared-page'
concept?  The easy fix seems to be to line the Systems programmers up
against the back wall and introduce them to a postal worker with an
automatic weapon"

On second thought, this is IBM we are talking about....

My gut feeling is that IBM has thought of this problem and will easily
allow "cross-memory" regions to share certain pages, e.g. the
shared-getmain pages....the question is how.  Has anyone run across this
problem before?  Can these two CICS regions be GENed to use a certain
range of shared memory for shared getmains?

Any help is much appreciated....

     Joe Zitzelberger

Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Shared Memory between two "cross-memory" CICS regions
I would suggest using the TS queue instead of using storage and sharing the
TS queue among the CICS systems in question.
Quote:

>Ok, this is a strange question, but I can't see how my shop is the only
>one that has ever run into it...err...I can't see how only one shop has
>ever run into it I might say...

>We have several CICS regions that (manually) load-balance applications
>between them.  They all have access to the same files, queues, databases,
>terminals, etc.  Recently an application that has worked wonderfully and
>fine for years has started blowing up on very rare occasions.  The problem
>has been traced to a shared-getmain pointer to a data area that is passed
>in a "link" to a program on another region.  Historically, both programs
>(the linker and the linkee) ran on the same region, and still do, but now
>some small bunch of terminals come in through a second region and cause
>one program to run on its region, and the linked program to run on a
>remote region.  This causes a problem with passing a pointer.

>When I heard about this problem my first thought was "hrumph!  In a
>cross-memory system?  With IBM being the parent of the 'shared-page'
>concept?  The easy fix seems to be to line the Systems programmers up
>against the back wall and introduce them to a postal worker with an
>automatic weapon"

>On second thought, this is IBM we are talking about....

>My gut feeling is that IBM has thought of this problem and will easily
>allow "cross-memory" regions to share certain pages, e.g. the
>shared-getmain pages....the question is how.  Has anyone run across this
>problem before?  Can these two CICS regions be GENed to use a certain
>range of shared memory for shared getmains?

>Any help is much appreciated....

>     Joe Zitzelberger

Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Something about "Memory"

2. Why "out of memory"???

3. Error#3:"memory.cpp"line 563 Labview version 6.1

4. Error #3 "memory.cpp"

5. Error: "memory.cpp in line 876"

6. Clipper 5.3 "Out of memory"

7. Using MEMORY to make a "Destructor"