Again, with above/below stuff.
Author Message
 Again, with above/below stuff.

Has anyone heard (rumors or fact) that JES will (eventually?) support
the use of VSAM  ACB's and RPL's so that there will never again (hah!)
be a need to be concerned with "The line" as far as I/O is concerned
from a problem program POV? For instance, you can process all of
the VSAM stuff you want, and all of it works very well in 31 bit mode,
but if you have any kind of output directed at spool, you still have to
use a DCB, and that means that "something" in your program still
has to concern itself with this line thing...

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.*-*-*.com/ - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Again, with above/below stuff.
In a message dated 02-27-99, Becker, William said to All about "Again, with
above/below stuff"

BW>Has anyone heard (rumors or fact) that JES will (eventually?) support
BW>the use of VSAM  ACB's and RPL's so that there will never again (hah!)
BW>be a need to be concerned with "The line" as far as I/O is concerned
BW>from a problem program POV? For instance, you can process all of
BW>the VSAM stuff you want, and all of it works very well in 31 bit mode,
BW>but if you have any kind of output directed at spool, you still have to
BW>use a DCB, and that means that "something" in your program still
BW>has to concern itself with this line thing...

We have been able for years to write to the spool using a VSAM ACB, using
the JAM (JES Access Method) feature of VSAM. However, it has always been a
24-bit facility, even after VSAM went all 31-bit, as of MVS/XA 2.2 and
DFP/XA 2.3. [I guess IBM has a different definition of "all" from the rest
of us.]

I have not seen any hints of JAM changing to 31-bit.

[Note that your QSAM/BSAM DCB targeting the spool actually opens an ACB for
JAM under the covers.]

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>
___
 * MR/2 2.25 #353 * Hark!  What rock through yonder window breaks?

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Again, with above/below stuff.
It is a FACT that today, and ever since MVS/370 in 1973, the "native"
interface to JES2 and JES3 is VSAM ACBs / RPLs.  When you are using a
DCB to write data to a JES2 or JES3 SPOOL, you are actually going through
a compatibility interface.

However, I would like to comment that using the ACB / RPL interface is not
a good idea.  The reason it is not a good idea is you cannot use JCL to
direct output to a real data set, or to a SPOOL data set.

The only positive advantage to using the ACB / RPL interface is you
can ENDREQ to a INTRDR to terminate the job being submitted, and also
retrieve the JES2 job ID assigned to the job in RPLRBAR.

The physical DCB must be below the line.  However, the OPEN, PUT, GET,
and CLOSE macros can all execute AMODE 31, and can execute above the line.

Quote:
>Has anyone heard (rumors or fact) that JES will (eventually?) support
>the use of VSAM  ACB's and RPL's so that there will never again (hah!)
>be a need to be concerned with "The line" as far as I/O is concerned
>from a problem program POV? For instance, you can process all of
>the VSAM stuff you want, and all of it works very well in 31 bit mode,
>but if you have any kind of output directed at spool, you still have to
>use a DCB, and that means that "something" in your program still
>has to concern itself with this line thing...

>*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

-- Steve Myers

The E-mail addresses in this message are private property.  Any use of them
to  send  unsolicited  E-mail  messages  of  a  commerical  nature  will be
considered trespassing,  and the originator of the message will be  sued in
small claims court in Camden County,  New Jersey,  for the  maximum penalty
allowed by law.

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Mixing above and below the line modules.

2. above the line and below the line

3. Scheme vs ML again and again and again and again

4. Scheme vs ML again and again and again and again

5. unrelated stuff again

6. C stuff again

7. Matrix stuff (again)

8. Link working again for printer stuff

9. How do I post a menubar cascade ABOVE instead of BELOW?

10. Getting all items above/below of a selected item....................

11. Getting all items above/below of a selected item....................

12. FS/A: Cool rare SMALLTALK stuff, don't miss out, NeXT and BeOS stuff too