IBM 600 series punch-card calculators
Author Message
 IBM 600 series punch-card calculators

I posted this in alt.folklore.computer without a response.  Maybe some
of the veterans here would know...

Did anyone use the IBM calculators (600 series--601, 602, etc.)?  (Not
counting the 650 computer).  If so, what kind of applications were run
on these machines?  How were they programmed--a series of calculations
seems too complex for a plug board.

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 IBM 600 series punch-card calculators

Quote:
>Did anyone use the IBM calculators (600 series--601, 602, etc.)?  (Not
>counting the 650 computer).  If so, what kind of applications were run
>on these machines?  How were they programmed--a series of calculations
>seems too complex for a plug board.

When I started college, they had a 602, which was programmed by wire board.
I'm not sure that you could do a "series" of calculations. Subtotaling and
totaling might have been the extent of its capabilities. By the time I got
there, it was only used to produce listings of card decks; it was not taught
in any class, and was not used by the administration.

They also had a card sorter and a punch/duplicator. The punch/duplicator was
programmed by wire board also.

Thu, 15 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM 600 series punch-card calculators

2. Hollerith cards or IBM cards (or punched cards)

3. History question---punched card calculators

4. Problems printing to HP OfficeJet Series 600

5. Deskjet 500, 600, and 800 series ...

6. Oberon on 486 card in Acorn RiscPC 600

7. APL on punched cards

8. Punched Card machines (brief summary)

9. Punched Card Machines--powerful logic

10. Early/late model punched card machines--history question

11. Need to convert 80-column punch cards to PC

12. Ada on punched cards?