Language Environment Enabled Assembler Programs
Author Message
 Language Environment Enabled Assembler Programs

Does anyone have any experience with Language Environment (LE) enabled
assembler programs in an OS/390 environment?  From the documentation in
Bookmanager, it would appear that there is no need to "LE enable" an
assembler program ithat doesn't invoke LE functions.

Can anyone verify this assumption?

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Language Environment Enabled Assembler Programs

Quote:
>Does anyone have any experience with Language Environment (LE) enabled
>assembler programs in an OS/390 environment?  From the documentation in
>Bookmanager, it would appear that there is no need to "LE enable" an
>assembler program ithat doesn't invoke LE functions.

>Can anyone verify this assumption?

That is correct, with one exception: if this assembler routine is being
called from an LE environment language (COBOL, C/C++, PL/(I|1), fortran,
and I think even RPG).  You can get away with it if it's a short little
routine, but you may have to change base registers because IIRC LE wants
to use R12 for some reason.  It's similar to if you have an assembler
routine being called from a PL/I program.

If your program is stand-alone (EXEC PGM=) and uses no LE services, then
there's no need to change.  (But you never know, since IBM seems to be
now tying LE to operating system releases, this could change.)

LAter,
Ray
--
M. Ray Mullins Roseville, California (soon Big Bear, Calif.) ICQ# 28901695
California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Language Environment Enabled Assembler Programs
M. Ray Mullins writes ...

Quote:

>>Does anyone have any experience with Language Environment (LE) enabled
>>assembler programs in an OS/390 environment?  From the documentation in
>>Bookmanager, it would appear that there is no need to "LE enable" an
>>assembler program ithat doesn't invoke LE functions.

>>Can anyone verify this assumption?

>That is correct, with one exception: if this assembler routine is being
>called from an LE environment language (COBOL, C/C++, PL/(I|1), FORTRAN,
>and I think even RPG).

This is not true.

First, RPG is not an LE conforming language.

Second, you can call a non-LE enabled Assembler program from a program written
in any language as long as the calling program follows the traditional save
area chaining conventions, and all LE enabled compilers do this.
**********************************

Quote:
>You can get away with it if it's a short little
>routine, but you may have to change base registers because IIRC LE wants
>to use R12 for some reason.

There is nothing to "get away with". It doesn't matter what the calling program
does as long as it provides [at least] a standard save area. All the LE enabled
compilers do this.
*********************************

Quote:
>It's similar to if you have an assembler
>routine being called from a PL/I program.

Well, it is, only in that it doesn't matter with PL/I either. Again, it doesn't
matter what the calling program does. The caller and the subroutine only need
to follow standard linkage conventions. PL/I does this.
********************************

Quote:
>If your program is stand-alone (EXEC PGM=) and uses no LE services, then
>there's no need to change.  (But you never know, since IBM seems to be
>now tying LE to operating system releases, this could change.)

You do know. Your non-LE enabled Assembler programs will continue to run for
the foreseeable future, even though LE is tied to operating system releases.
***********************************

For information on some quality LE training, check out our website,
www.trainersfriend.com.

Follow the link to Topics then to LE.

Also, you might want to follow the link from the Home page to Futures. There I
describe a new course I am developing that covers InterProgram Communication
within and across Assembler, COBOL,PL/I and C in the OS/390/LE environment. The
course discusses: how to define elementary items, structures and tables in each
of these languages; how to call and be called, statically and dynamically; the
format of Object code; how the linkage editor and the program binder work, and
much more.

Cheers,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Language Environment (LE/390) & Assembler

2. Python: The Language vs. Python: The Programming Environment

3. Python: The Language vs. Python: The Programming Environment

4. FA: Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370

5. Programming in OS Assembler Language for the IBM 370

6. WTB: Peter Abel's Programming Assembler Language book

7. Finding 80x86 Assembler language programming jobs

8. Finding 80x86 Assembler language programming jobs

9. MMX enabled assembler

10. How to Program a Programming Environment?

11. Shareware 370 environment and assembler under Linux?

12. How to enable native language