GUIDE-80 Assembler Session
Author Message
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session

For anyone attending GUIDE-80 in Boston, you may be interested in a
special session "Assembler Indignation Meeting" AE-2009, which you
will find cross-referenced in the session index under VM, VSE, and
MVS in the Preliminary Agenda.

Allow me to quote the overview: "At the last few GUIDE meetings a
few of us have come to the realization that there may be more
assembler programmers in the world than GUIDE or IBM would like to
admit.  At this session we will try to determine how many of you are
out there coding assembler, why you are coding assembler, and try to
list the items which would make your job easier.  We will review some
of the requirements against the assembler, and try to determine if
another meeting should be scheduled.  John Ehrman of IBM will be the
speaker."  This meeting will be moderated by John Melcher, Jr. of
Compuware Corp.

Anyone who plans to be at GUIDE-80 and is interested in the viability
of assembler is encouraged to attend and give their insight & support.

*-------------------------------------------------------------*

*-------------------------------------------------------------*

Sun, 07 Nov 1993 05:21:15 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session
Hey, GUIDE!!!
AT SHARE, we are doing a SHARE-wide survey to try to convince IBM that there
are still MANY Assembler H types out there, doing new coding.

This is being sponsored by the Assembler Committee of the Languages Project
of the Applications Enabling Group of the AADS division of SHARE
(I am Project Manager for Languages).

We would be GLAD to send you a copy of the survey, if wish to join in our efforts,
or if you are just interested!

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 00:47:47 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session
Hey, GUIDE!!!
AT SHARE, we are doing a SHARE-wide survey to try to convince IBM that there
are still MANY Assembler H types out there, doing new coding.

This is being sponsored by the Assembler Committee of the Languages Project
of the Applications Enabling Group of the AADS division of SHARE
(I am Project Manager for Languages).

We would be GLAD to send you a copy of the survey, if wish to join in our
        efforts,
or if you are just interested!

Tue, 09 Nov 1993 00:47:47 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session

Quote:
> Hey, GUIDE!!!
> AT SHARE, we are doing a SHARE-wide survey to try to convince IBM that there
> are still MANY Assembler H types out there, doing new coding.

> This is being sponsored by the Assembler Committee of the Languages Project
> of the Applications Enabling Group of the AADS division of SHARE
> (I am Project Manager for Languages).

But I can find nothing in your posting which identifies you.  Who are you?

Michael Stack

DeKalb, IL  60115-2854                  Phone:    815-753-9447

Sun, 14 Nov 1993 09:46:00 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session
This is being posted on INTERNET by

I can also be reached as

Anyone wishing a (hard) copy of the SHARE Assembler survey please email me
your post office-type mail address, and I will send the survey to you.

Anyone who can explain why my From: tag is being stripped-off when I
post to internet and the posting is forwarded to bitnet, I would
appreciate that, too!

Mon, 15 Nov 1993 03:09:17 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session

Quote:

>Anyone wishing a (hard) copy of the SHARE Assembler survey please email me
>your post office-type mail address, and I will send the survey to you.

Yes, I would like a copy.

        Rick Mundwiler
        AT&T Paradyne
        PO Box 2826
        Largo, FL 34649-2826

Thanks.
--
Rick Mundwiler                          AT&T Paradyne
{uunet,peora}!pdn!rickm                 Mail stop LG-132

Mon, 15 Nov 1993 20:59:00 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session

This is being posted on INTERNET by

I can also be reached as

My thanks to all who have expressed interest in the Survey.  I had
described this about three months ago, and so I did not realize that
a review would be necessary, but the comments make it obvious that it is!

The Survey is to be distributed by the Assembler Committee of the
SHARE Languages Project, to be sent to all SHARE member sites.
We have assembled a list of about 4 dozen requirements against Assembler H,
including the SLAC mods, a few other enhancements, and improved hooks for
TEST environments.  Our intent is to describe an Assembler language which
is designed for the 90s (with upward compatibility for existing Assembler H
code), and then to describe a decent TSO TEST environment, combining the
best features of the TSO TEST command with the kind of de{*filter*}s which have
been made available for PL/I and fortran (Yes, we know about the Cole
de{*filter*}, but many of us work in shops which, for shortsighted reasons,
will not purchase such an add on (Heck, where I work, they won't even let me
put the SLAC mods onto the Assembler!)).

John Ehrman (IBM) has worked closely with us; IBM has pointed out two things:
        1.      Assembler H is not going to be "opened up" more than once;
                anything which we want, we had better ask for now!
        2.      IBM will NOT open up the Assembler, without a strong
                business case that the product is being used,
                and perhaps that improvements will cause more licenses
                to be bought.

This second case is the rub.  We have agreed to distribute and analyze
a survey to all SHARE membership (hence the reason that were not just going to
send this out over the net).  SHARE will pay for printing and
mailing, and I (Dave W) will tabulate the results.  Dave Andrews did a GREAT
job in putting the survey into Ventura form; Sam Golub (and I) designed the
initial drafts.

Judging by the response on this network in just one day,
I am distributing a version of the survey over the networks;
I will compile the result and present it as an addendum to the SHARE data.

Anyone who requested a copy, who forwards their responses by Email, will not
be sent a hard copy.  Those (eg GUIDE) who want this in machine readable
form, please send me a separate note indicating this!

Please return the survey itself as indicated, to my APLVM.BITNET address.

Mon, 15 Nov 1993 23:09:16 GMT
 GUIDE-80 Assembler Session
This is being posted on INTERNET by

I can also be reached as

Dave Weintraub   The Applied Physics Laboratory  The Johns Hopkins University
   Johns Hopkins Road 3-145    Laurel MD 20723-6099   USA   (301)-953-5839

The intent of this survey is to measure the level of interest in incorporating
certain enhancements to the Assembler H program product. This survey
is being circulated by the Assembler H Committee of the SHARE
Languages Project, which is part of the Applications Enabling Group
of the Applications Architecture and Data Systems Division of SHARE.
We would very much appreciate your taking a
few moments of your time to answer as many of the following as you can;
completed surveys should be forwarded to:

Dave Weintraub
The Applied Physics Laboratory
The Johns Hopkins Univ 3-145
Laurel MD 20723-6099   USA
(301)-953-5839

To make my life easier, PLEASE place your answers after the "$$.";
for questions 2 and 8, list all that apply:
Please give your name, your company, and your Email address;
if you are a SHARE member organization, put your installation code after
your name, in parentheses ("YES" or "SHARE" means that you don't know
your code).
$$ 0.

Which one of the following best describes you?
    Choose one:
    S: Systems Programmer
    A: Applications Programmer
    M: Management
$$ 11.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How important to your installation's operation are those S/370 programs
written in assember language?
    Choose from:
    __Important __      Moderately important     __Not important:
$$ 1.

Why does your installation use S/370 assembly language?
    Indicate all that apply:
    E: Have strong assembler expertise within installation.
    B: Have large base of macros and assembler routines.
    M:  Need to modify program products (written in assembler).
            X:  Product exits and/or user written SVCs need assembler
        interfaces.
    A:  Access methods only provide assembler interfaces.
    P:  Applications have very high performance requirements.
    R:  Apps must be independent of separately-licensed runtime packages.
    S:  Need supervisor services not available in high-level languages.
    H:  Need to exploit specific hardware features or instructions.
    I: Assembly language required for system or product installation.
$$ 2.
$$ 2 Other.

How many individuals at your installation are currently coding for S/370
in a high-level language?
$$ 3.

How many individuals at your installation are currently coding for S/370
in assembly language?
$$ 4.

Please indicate the percentage of time that your installation's
S/370 assember coding supports:
 Developing new software:
$$ 5a.
 Maintaining code written in-house:
$$ 5b.
 Maintaining code written elsewhere:
$$ 5c.

Is new development in S/370 assembly language at your installation:
   Choose from: __Increasing  __ Staying the same __ Decreasing
$$ 6.

Is maintenance of existing S/370 assembler code at your installation:
   Choose from: __Increasing  __ Staying the same __ Decreasing
$$ 7.

Which of the following user modifications to Assembler H are you aware of:
    M: MTS
    S: SLAC mods
$$ 8.
$$ 8 Other.

Yes or No: Have you had experience using these modifications?
$$ 9.

Yes or no: Do you feel the Assembler H should be improved?
$$ 10.

Mon, 15 Nov 1993 23:16:03 GMT
[...]

    A: Applications Programmer
    M: Management
$$ 11.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How important to your installation's operation are those S/370 programs
written in assember language?
    Choose from:
    __Important __      Moderately important     __Not important:
$$ 1.

Why does your installation use S/370 assembly language?
    Indicate all that apply:
    E: Have strong assembler expertise within installation.
    B: Have large base of macros and assembler routines.
    M:  Need to modify program products (written in assembler).
            X:  Product exits and/or user written SVCs need assembler interfaces.
    A:  Access methods only provide assembler interfaces.
[...]

1. GUIDE-80 Assembler Session.

2. Z-80 Assembler for DOS/Windows

3. Z 80 Assembler

4. PD Z-80 assembler for U*x anybody?

5. GUIDA ASSEMBLER VGA - VGA ASSEMBLER GUIDE

6. Turbo Modula-2 for Z-80 CP/M-80

7. CHARACTER*1 A(80) and CHARACTER*80 A?

8. character*80 versus character*1 (80)

9. ST-80/OS/2 vs. ST-80/Windows

10. Resize ST-80 Browser Panes (was Cognitive Overload with ST-80)

11. Exchange ST-80/Win v2.5 for ST-80/OS2 v2.5

12. Help needed: communication Mac Sm-80 with Sun, graphics in Sm-80