Where to buy POPS
Author Message
 Where to buy POPS

I've never done this, but you should be able to call 1-800-879-2755 and
order publication number SA22-7201-05 (the -05 is the most current). There

http://www.*-*-*.com/ , clicking on IBMLink under United States, then
click on PubsCatalog, then on Order Number, then entered SA22-7201. Yes,
this is public access, no need to logon.

Tue, 05 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

>Anyone know where I can buy an updated POPS?  Would Amazon.com carry it?

Hardly! POPS is  part of the "licensed materials". You have to be a S/390
customer to get it. It is available on the OS/390 CD collection and also
available in hardcopy form. Contact your "friendly IBM sales representative"
and ask for it.

Personally, I would recommend a subscription to the OS/390 CD collection
over a hardcopy. They are updated more frequently and its somewhat easier to
find what you want in the searchable form. OTOH, you do miss the pleasure of
relaxing with the real thing, a comfy armchair and your favorite beverage.

Chris

Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

> >Anyone know where I can buy an updated POPS?  Would Amazon.com carry it?

> Hardly! POPS is  part of the "licensed materials". You have to be a
> S/390 customer to get it.

That might not be true anymore. On my OS/390 2.5 set it's part of the
"MVS Unlicensed Bookshelf" - also see:
http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/Shelves/IE...

And the data areas are there too.  Weren't they once only available to
paying customers?

Tom Brennan

Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

>>POPS is  part of the "licensed materials". You have to be a
>> S/390 customer to get it.

>That might not be true anymore. On my OS/390 2.5 set it's part of the
>"MVS Unlicensed Bookshelf" - also see:
>http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/Shelves/IE...

>And the data areas are there too.  Weren't they once only available to
>paying customers?

Yes, they were and until recently, they weren't even included in the
"unlicensed" shelves on the CD's. However, you are quite correct. Both of
these references are accurate. I'm not sure what this means from IBM's
standpoint. They were always pretty zealous about these materials in the
past.

Obviously anyone who wants to can access the Poughkeepsie bookmanager web
site, but as far as I know you still have to be a customer to get the CD
collection. I think it would be cool to be able to get that stuff from
Amazon or Barnes and Noble, just can't see it happening though. But ya never
know, "its not your father's IBM anymore" (thank heavens).

Chris

Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS
If anyone is in need of CD-collections send me private e-mail.
I hate to landfill / discard back level (maybe 3 months back) issues
when the new ones arrive.

Quote:

--
Builder of Software Archaelogy Tools -
Digging thru the bonepile of existing applications....

Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS
No way is Principles of Operation restricted distribution.  Any fool
can buy it.

Go to http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com, follow through to Pubs Catalog, then
How to Order,  This section has 800 numbers for either voice or fax, an
E-mail address, as well as an IBM mail address, which is useless for most
of us.  You will order SA22-7201, which costs an amazing $13.75!  IBM will
add on tax and shipping, which will probably run up the price to the $20
range.

The collection kits can be ordered the same way.  The OS/390 Collection Kit
is $100, which I think is a little high for 7 or 8 CDs, but considering
what the individual manuals would cost, it is nearly priceless.

[snip]

-- Steve Myers

The E-mail addresses in this message are private property.  Any use of them
to  send  unsolicited  E-mail  messages  of  a  commerical  nature  will be
considered trespassing,  and the originator of the message will be  sued in
small claims court in Camden County,  New Jersey,  for the  maximum penalty
allowed by law.

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

> >Anyone know where I can buy an updated POPS?  Would Amazon.com carry it?

> Hardly! POPS is  part of the "licensed materials". You have to be a S/390
> customer to get it.

Not at all. "Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Principles of Operation" has a
Document Number of SA22-7201-04; the S means that it is for sale to anyone
willing to fork over the cash. It's the ones beginning with L that require a
license for the software. OTOH, it's not as inexpensive as it used to be.

Quote:
> It is available on the OS/390 CD collection and also
> available in hardcopy form. Contact your "friendly IBM sales representative"
> and ask for it.

SK2T-6700. There are currently 9 CD-ROMs in the set. The licensed manuals are in
LK2T-2499.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

> Yes, they were and until recently, they weren't even included in the
> "unlicensed" shelves on the CD's.

Principles of operations was never licensed; in fact, at one point in time it
was G (free in reasonable quantities.)

As to the data areas, they used to be present on the unlicensed CD-ROMs, in
encrypted form. Fortuantely, with OS/390 IBM has done away with Showcase and
left the data areas unencrypted.

Quote:
> Obviously anyone who wants to can access the Poughkeepsie bookmanager web
> site, but as far as I know you still have to be a customer to get the CD
> collection.

Nope, you just have to be able to pay for it.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS
FWIW, I just bought the 360, 370 and 390 POPs direct from IBM. In fact the
two volume 390 refs I received were the September 1998 edition.

I'm not an IBM customer, and I'm not an employee. Well, at least I wasn't
at the time. :-)

Richard

Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS
Richard Bennett writes ...

<snip>

...>In fact the

Quote:
>two volume 390 refs I received were the September 1998 edition

Wait. TWO volumes? Can you give me the form numbers?

Thanks,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

> ...>In fact the
> >two volume 390 refs I received were the September 1998 edition

> Wait. TWO volumes? Can you give me the form numbers?

They have the same cat number: SA22-7201-05

They just come as two manuals, about an inch and a half thick each.
They're labelled as "PART 1 OF 2" and "PART 2 OF 2".

I don't know how long ago they split it into two. Sorry.

Richard

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS
Richard Bennett writes ...

Quote:

>> ...>In fact the
>> >two volume 390 refs I received were the September 1998 edition

>> Wait. TWO volumes? Can you give me the form numbers?

>They have the same cat number: SA22-7201-05

>They just come as two manuals, about an inch and a half thick each.
>They're labelled as "PART 1 OF 2" and "PART 2 OF 2".

>I don't know how long ago they split it into two. Sorry.

Huh! Very strange. I have in front of me IBM pub SA22-7201-5 as a single book!
Oh well, I've got some on order for my class next month. Guess I'll just wait
and see what shows up.

Regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to buy POPS

Quote:

> Huh! Very strange. I have in front of me IBM pub SA22-7201-5 as a single book!
> Oh well, I've got some on order for my class next month. Guess I'll just wait
> and see what shows up.

Well, I'd be interested in hearing what turns up.

Regards
 Richard

Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Where to buy POPS

2. To buy or not to buy SGI F90 v7.2

3. to buy or not to buy?

4. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

5. comp.lang.pop (and pop-forum) FAQ available in html

6. comp.lang.pop -> pop-forum gateway

7. comp.lang.pop and pop-forum gateway

8. pop FAQ (was Q: what is pop?)

9. news-relayFrom: pop@uucp.rabbit (pop)

10. POP and pop.py and/or poplib

11. Pop-up windows don't pop up for sub-widgets

12. Ok, so pop *pop* may be a valid lang, but where's basic?