Super-techie question
Author Message
 Super-techie question

I'm bridging IMS databases.
The databases get renovated to include century information.
The old programs (that go thru the bridge) see the old formation.
In an on-line environment the PCB the application program gets
is really just a copy of the 'real' PCB which resides in the database
address space.  So even though the PCB has address pointers
to needed data, I've not been able to follow those pointers as
they address memory in a different address spaces (region).

Are there ways to get to this information?

Rick Plotke

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Super-techie question

says...

Quote:
> I'm bridging IMS databases.
> The databases get renovated to include century information.
> The old programs (that go thru the bridge) see the old formation.
> In an on-line environment the PCB the application program gets
> is really just a copy of the 'real' PCB which resides in the database
> address space.  So even though the PCB has address pointers
> to needed data, I've not been able to follow those pointers as
> they address memory in a different address spaces (region).

> Are there ways to get to this information?

> Rick Plotke

Hi Rick,
What exactly are you trying to do? If you have a bridge, that should
reformat the data. What do you need from the PCB internally?
--
Robert Ngan
CSC Financial Services Group

To reply, remove the ".spamoff" from my address

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Super-techie question

An old program can access the new database with NO recompile of
the old program.  It passes old format SSA's and expects back old
format segments (sometimes multiple segments for one call), as
well as old format Key Feedback area.

My bridge is named CBLTDLI and slides inbetween the program and
the IBM supplied CBLTDLI.

The Bridge passes to and from IMS SSA's and segments in the
new format.  The Bridge has access to information about the
DBD/Segments/Fields and the dates within them.

However, the PCB can be created with options that alter the nature of
the database.  There are two instances that I know of:
1. SENFLD, where the program asks for a segment
     and only gets parts of it.
2. PROCSEQ=, where the database can be accessed via a different
    "root" based on a secondary index.

I'm trying to get this info which is in the separate address space.

See http://www.BridgeIMS.com for more data and pictures.

Rick Plotke

Quote:
>What exactly are you trying to do? If you have a bridge, that should
>reformat the data. What do you need from the PCB internally?
>--
>Robert Ngan
>CSC Financial Services Group

>says...
>> I'm bridging IMS databases.
>> The databases get renovated to include century information.
>> The old programs (that go thru the bridge) see the old formation.
>> In an on-line environment the PCB the application program gets
>> is really just a copy of the 'real' PCB which resides in the database
>> address space.  So even though the PCB has address pointers
>> to needed data, I've not been able to follow those pointers as
>> they address memory in a different address spaces (region).

>> Are there ways to get to this information?

>> Rick Plotke

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Super-techie question

Quote:

> I'm bridging IMS databases.
> The databases get renovated to include century information.
> The old programs (that go thru the bridge) see the old formation.
> In an on-line environment the PCB the application program gets
> is really just a copy of the 'real' PCB which resides in the database
> address space.  So even though the PCB has address pointers
> to needed data, I've not been able to follow those pointers as
> they address memory in a different address spaces (region).

> Are there ways to get to this information?

If you know which address space they point to...
The MPP address space must have the ASID or STOKEN of the control
region somewhere in private storage, you can follow that...
BTW some of this information is obviously storage-protected, so you'll
need to go to PSW key 0. This might be a bit hard in MPP, but it's
possible.

      Yair

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Super-techie question

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.asm370 and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

says...

Quote:
> An old program can access the new database with NO recompile of
> the old program.  It passes old format SSA's and expects back old
> format segments (sometimes multiple segments for one call), as
> well as old format Key Feedback area.

> My bridge is named CBLTDLI and slides inbetween the program and
> the IBM supplied CBLTDLI.

> The Bridge passes to and from IMS SSA's and segments in the
> new format.  The Bridge has access to information about the
> DBD/Segments/Fields and the dates within them.

> However, the PCB can be created with options that alter the nature of
> the database.  There are two instances that I know of:
> 1. SENFLD, where the program asks for a segment
>      and only gets parts of it.
> 2. PROCSEQ=, where the database can be accessed via a different
>     "root" based on a secondary index.

> I'm trying to get this info which is in the separate address space.

> See http://www.BridgeIMS.com for more data and pictures.

> Rick Plotke

> >What exactly are you trying to do? If you have a bridge, that should
> >reformat the data. What do you need from the PCB internally?
> >--
> >Robert Ngan
> >CSC Financial Services Group

> >says...
> >> I'm bridging IMS databases.
> >> The databases get renovated to include century information.
> >> The old programs (that go thru the bridge) see the old formation.
> >> In an on-line environment the PCB the application program gets
> >> is really just a copy of the 'real' PCB which resides in the database
> >> address space.  So even though the PCB has address pointers
> >> to needed data, I've not been able to follow those pointers as
> >> they address memory in a different address spaces (region).

> >> Are there ways to get to this information?

> >> Rick Plotke

I'm still not sure what data you want, however if it is just the stuff in
the DBD or PSB definition, you could just load your own copy of it (you'd
need to include a DD for the DBD and PSB libraries in your MPR JCL).
Actually you should look at the ACB definitions but the DBD and PSB
libraries are standard load modules so you can just LOAD the appropriate
module. I'm not sure how you would read an ACB!

--
Robert Ngan
CSC Financial Services Group

To reply, remove the ".spamoff" from my address

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. IMS Super Techie Question

2. Assembler super techie question

3. some questions of a techie nature

4. makefiel.vc techie question

5. Super Tagging and Super Invoice

6. super super ?

7. Techie Tip of the Month - Adding a Simple Web Server Interface

8. "super" question for language experts

9. Super novice question..

10. Newbie question on super

11. Super QBE question

12. Super Invoice Template Question