IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC 
Author Message
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

Hi:

This may sound crazy but I remember reading an article in PC Magazine that said
that IBM had developed a 370 Mainframe Board for the PC, but didn't know what
to do with it.
Anyone know anything about it?

TIA
Frank

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
When I was into mainframes -
I was a Blank Screen kind of a guy

Now that I'm into PCs -
I'm just a C:> kind of a guy.



Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

Quote:
>Hi:

>This may sound crazy but I remember reading an article in PC Magazine that said
>that IBM had developed a 370 Mainframe Board for the PC, but didn't know what
>to do with it.
>Anyone know anything about it?

>TIA
>Frank

Yes, There was an XT/370 and an AT/370. Those had add-in cards which did the
S/370 emulation. They used the PC portion for I/O (terminal, keyboard & disk).
The latest versions of these are the P390 which requires OS/2 and a similar
(forget the name) for an RS/6000 running RISC.

The XT/370 and AT/370 ran a special version of VM. The newest cards run
the actual OS/390 that is run on the mainframe. Try going to
http://www2.s390.ibm.com/products/p390/qrefp390.html
That page seem to have all the techie info you would want. It appears to
be a MCA (MicroChannel) device. So it probably can only go into an appropriate
IBM machine. I.e. I doubt you can stick the card into an existing PC. I can't
find the pricing.

John



Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

Quote:

>The latest versions of these are the P390 which requires OS/2 and a similar
>(forget the name) for an RS/6000 running RISC.

R/390.

Quote:

>The XT/370 and AT/370 ran a special version of VM. The newest cards run
>the actual OS/390 that is run on the mainframe. Try going to
>http://www2.s390.ibm.com/products/p390/qrefp390.html
>That page seem to have all the techie info you would want. It appears to
>be a MCA (MicroChannel) device. ...

The latest version is a PCI card.

- Jim Saum



Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC
In the "not available in stores" department yet (I *think*), IBM showed
a prototype P/390 at the last SHARE <http://www.share.org/> conference
that had two OS/390 systems sharing a coupling device.  A micro-SYSPLEX:
A mainframe geek's dream desktop machine.  Maybe I just  dreamed it,
anybody remember seeing it at the IBM booth?


Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC
Does that mean that I can plug in ("cold") the latest version PCI card and
run OS/390 on it?  If so, what does this dream cost?

I want!!!

Ted ha zaken ("Ted the frustrated, oldfashioned assembler person")


Quote:


> >The latest versions of these are the P390 which requires OS/2 and a
similar
> >(forget the name) for an RS/6000 running RISC.

> R/390.

> >The XT/370 and AT/370 ran a special version of VM. The newest cards run
> >the actual OS/390 that is run on the mainframe. Try going to
> >http://www2.s390.ibm.com/products/p390/qrefp390.html
> >That page seem to have all the techie info you would want. It appears to
> >be a MCA (MicroChannel) device. ...

> The latest version is a PCI card.

> - Jim Saum



Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC
I've seen Marty Ziskind from IBM show it a couple of times.  However, it
has also been stated as a "concept" machine and not even a future.

Several mainframe development companies would love to get their hands on
something similiar.

For cost, IBM doesn't sell the P390 board directly.  You need to buy it
through a vendor (the list is available on the P390 web sites quoted
earlier in this thread).  The price will vary, but one with VM and a
minimal amount of disk is around $100K US.  OS/390 is (of course) more
expensive for software and the fact that it needs more disk than VM.

We have three of the older MCA versions.  We use them for demos, Y2k
testing, and other development work.

If you are a software vendor, you can join IBM's Partners in Development
(or the new name that I forget at the moment) and get one at a
discounted price.

Lloyd

Quote:

>In the "not available in stores" department yet (I *think*), IBM showed
>a prototype P/390 at the last SHARE <http://www.share.org/> conference
>that had two OS/390 systems sharing a coupling device.  A micro-SYSPLEX:
>A mainframe geek's dream desktop machine.  Maybe I just  dreamed it,
>anybody remember seeing it at the IBM booth?



Sun, 20 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC
They sell them as MVS in a box.  We bought one in 96 called a PC Server 500.
It emulates DASD on SCSI hard drives and we use both 3490 tapes and TCP/IP to
transfer files between our real mainframe and the midget.  It acutally has two
CPUs, on is a basic PC running OS/2 which performs all I/O and the other is a
S/370 running MVS/ESA 5.2.2.  The master console is simulated in an OS/2
window.  Other windows serve as the control panel (IPL, reset, etc) and as TSO
consoles.  Not particularly fast and not particularly cheap.


Quote:
(FBoll) writes:
>This may sound crazy but I remember reading an article in PC Magazine that
>said
>that IBM had developed a 370 Mainframe Board for the PC, but didn't know what
>to do with it.
>Anyone know anything about it?



Mon, 21 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC


Quote:
>In the "not available in stores" department yet (I *think*), IBM showed
>a prototype P/390 at the last SHARE <http://www.share.org/> conference
>that had two OS/390 systems sharing a coupling device.  A micro-SYSPLEX:
>A mainframe geek's dream desktop machine.  Maybe I just  dreamed it,
>anybody remember seeing it at the IBM booth?

I didn't see it, but there's a redbook on it at
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245632.html

Tony Harminc



Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC
I saw it at Share in February - I spoke to the IBM folk in Poughkeepsie who
told me that there was insufficient customer interest to make it
coomercially available...


Fri, 01 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

Quote:

> I saw it at Share in February - I spoke to the IBM folk in Poughkeepsie who
> told me that there was insufficient customer interest to make it
> coomercially available...

Err, sorry, but I *have* one - and they are available from Commercial Data Systems, an Amdahl spin-off.  I am running OS/390 v2.7 on a single chip, hosted on a Pentium OS/2 box, using fibre optic connection to a second OS/2 Pentium as a RAID controller for a 120GB array.
About $50K for the box and about that much more for a OTC license of OS/390.
I am running a $15,000,000 a month business on it.

=Dwight=
X1=L, X2=L & the domain is phonetic



Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 13 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. IBM Mainframe 370

2. IBM 370 Mainframe?

3. PC/370 board

4. PL/1 (370 mainframe) to PC microcomputer code cross compiler

5. PL/1 (370 mainframe) to PC microcomputer code cross compiler

6. ibm pc/370 -- what is this beast???

7. IBM-PC 370 hardware/software

8. IBM and Mainframe Jobs and Resumes Board

9. MCA emulation board for a 370

10. Changing from a IBM mainframe to a pc

11. Connecting PC running CW with IBM Mainframe

12. IBM mainframes vs. new killer PCs

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software