Newbie needs some basic starting help
Author Message
 Newbie needs some basic starting help

Help,
  I am just statring out with an assembler language program to read
some SMF 70-79 programs (Pls note this is over and above what
the RMF Post Processor provides).

My problem is with the JCL to DCB connection. I am using the
IBM supplied HLASMCL with a //GO.SYSIN card.  My program
assembles with no errors but I keep getting a failure in that
the DDNAME keeps causing an IEF686I (if i remember right) in
that the DDNAME is unrefernced  It appears that the link between
the DCB DDNAME and the JCL DDNAME is the problem.  I have
tried several different itmes and come up empty.  I'm sure this is
a really basic simple error..

I am using OS/390 and am looking for a good (simple) example
of the JCL and Program DCB connection...

Thanks
Dave

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help
Dave,

What you might want is the HLASMCLG PROC.  Also, the "GO" step is "G" in our
PROC so you'd have to have a //G.SYSIN card.
--
Dan

Quote:
> Help,
>   I am just statring out with an assembler language program to read
> some SMF 70-79 programs (Pls note this is over and above what
> the RMF Post Processor provides).

> My problem is with the JCL to DCB connection. I am using the
> IBM supplied HLASMCL with a //GO.SYSIN card.  My program
> assembles with no errors but I keep getting a failure in that
> the DDNAME keeps causing an IEF686I (if i remember right) in
> that the DDNAME is unrefernced  It appears that the link between
> the DCB DDNAME and the JCL DDNAME is the problem.  I have
> tried several different itmes and come up empty.  I'm sure this is
> a really basic simple error..

> I am using OS/390 and am looking for a good (simple) example
> of the JCL and Program DCB connection...

> Thanks
> Dave

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help
Several people have discussed the message, but no one has discussed
the JCL to DCB connection.

This connection is provided by the DDNAME parameter coded in the
DCB, e.g., xxx DCB DDNAME=XYZ.  The DDNAME is a 1 to 8 character
text string that is included in the table generated by the
DCB macro -- DC CL8'XYZ'.

Somewhere in the JCL that runs the program containing the DCB you
have to have a DD statement with a ddname that is the same as the
DDNAME parameter in the DCB in the program, e.g.,

//XYZ DD  xxx

That really is what the connection is: a text string provided by the
program (in a particular place in the table generated by the DCB macro)
must match a text string called a ddname in the JCL used to run the
step.

For example, in the following copy fragment --

         OPEN  (INDCB,INPUT,OUTDCB,OUTPUT)
LOOP     GET   INDCB
         LR    2,1
         PUT   OUTDCB,(2)
         B     LOOP
EOFRTN   CLOSE (INDCB,,OUTDCB)
         .
         .
         .
INDCB    DCB   DDNAME=INPUT,MACRF=GL,DDNAME=SYSUT1,EODAD=EOFRTN
OUTDCB   DCB   DDNAME=OUTPUT,MACRF=PM,DDNAME=SYSUT2,DSORG=PS

you use the following JCL --

//        EXEC PGM=COPY
//SYSUT1   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=input.dataset
//SYSUT2   DD  DISP=(,xxx),DSN=output.dataset,...

I hope that answers the question!

-- Steve Myers

Quote:
>Help,
>  I am just statring out with an assembler language program to read
>some SMF 70-79 programs (Pls note this is over and above what
>the RMF Post Processor provides).

>My problem is with the JCL to DCB connection. I am using the
>IBM supplied HLASMCL with a //GO.SYSIN card.  My program
>assembles with no errors but I keep getting a failure in that
>the DDNAME keeps causing an IEF686I (if i remember right) in
>that the DDNAME is unrefernced  It appears that the link between
>the DCB DDNAME and the JCL DDNAME is the problem.  I have
>tried several different itmes and come up empty.  I'm sure this is
>a really basic simple error..

>I am using OS/390 and am looking for a good (simple) example
>of the JCL and Program DCB connection...

>Thanks
>Dave

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:15:49 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help

Quote:
>          .
> INDCB    DCB   DDNAME=INPUT,MACRF=GL,DDNAME=SYSUT1,EODAD=EOFRTN
> OUTDCB   DCB   DDNAME=OUTPUT,MACRF=PM,DDNAME=SYSUT2,DSORG=PS

Actually, I suspect you'd get an error if you coded two DDNAMEs in the
same DCB macro! ;-)

Bob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:26:29 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help
You're absolutely right -- and you'd be amazed how often I do it!

-- Steve Myers

Quote:

>>          .
>> INDCB    DCB   DDNAME=INPUT,MACRF=GL,DDNAME=SYSUT1,EODAD=EOFRTN
>> OUTDCB   DCB   DDNAME=OUTPUT,MACRF=PM,DDNAME=SYSUT2,DSORG=PS

>Actually, I suspect you'd get an error if you coded two DDNAMEs in the
>same DCB macro! ;-)

>Bob

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Wed, 12 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help

Quote:

>Several people have discussed the message, but no one has discussed
>the JCL to DCB connection.

>This connection is provided by the DDNAME parameter coded in the
>DCB, e.g., xxx DCB DDNAME=XYZ.  The DDNAME is a 1 to 8 character
>text string that is included in the table generated by the
>DCB macro -- DC CL8'XYZ'.

>Somewhere in the JCL that runs the program containing the DCB you
>have to have a DD statement with a ddname that is the same as the
>DDNAME parameter in the DCB in the program, e.g.,

>//XYZ DD  xxx

>That really is what the connection is: a text string provided by the
>program (in a particular place in the table generated by the DCB macro)
>must match a text string called a ddname in the JCL used to run the
>step.

>For example, in the following copy fragment --

>         OPEN  (INDCB,INPUT,OUTDCB,OUTPUT)
>LOOP     GET   INDCB
>         LR    2,1
>         PUT   OUTDCB,(2)
>         B     LOOP
>EOFRTN   CLOSE (INDCB,,OUTDCB)
>         .
>         .
>         .
>INDCB    DCB   DDNAME=INPUT,MACRF=GL,DDNAME=SYSUT1,EODAD=EOFRTN
>OUTDCB   DCB   DDNAME=OUTPUT,MACRF=PM,DDNAME=SYSUT2,DSORG=PS

>you use the following JCL --

>//        EXEC PGM=COPY
>//SYSUT1   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=input.dataset
>//SYSUT2   DD  DISP=(,xxx),DSN=output.dataset,...

>I hope that answers the question!

>-- Steve Myers

Nice job Steve, and to put one last edge on it, consider that
there is a control block (in the job queue) where all these
keyword thingies go called the Job File Control Block, or JFCB.
The JCL information you supply for a particular DDNAME is used
to fill in the blanks/defaults as the JCL is interpretted. At
OPEN time, anything you supply in the DCB will override as well
as continue to fill in the blanks. If the file happens to have
a standard label (from a tape's HDR1 or a disk file's DSCB) any
information from it is included too, but I forget exactly which
one overrides which. The DCB overrides everything, and the JCL
may override the label.

Regards,

Alex Vrenios
Ph.D. Candidate
ASU CSE Department
--
Alex Vrenios, kx9i
1998 PC800: Kazesan

Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:54:28 GMT
 Newbie needs some basic starting help
The JFCB is filled in first by the DSCB, then by the DD statement
information and finally the DCB in the program.
Quote:

> >Several people have discussed the message, but no one has discussed
> >the JCL to DCB connection.

> >This connection is provided by the DDNAME parameter coded in the
> >DCB, e.g., xxx DCB DDNAME=XYZ.  The DDNAME is a 1 to 8 character
> >text string that is included in the table generated by the
> >DCB macro -- DC CL8'XYZ'.

> >Somewhere in the JCL that runs the program containing the DCB you
> >have to have a DD statement with a ddname that is the same as the
> >DDNAME parameter in the DCB in the program, e.g.,

> >//XYZ DD  xxx

> >That really is what the connection is: a text string provided by the
> >program (in a particular place in the table generated by the DCB macro)
> >must match a text string called a ddname in the JCL used to run the
> >step.

> >For example, in the following copy fragment --

> >         OPEN  (INDCB,INPUT,OUTDCB,OUTPUT)
> >LOOP     GET   INDCB
> >         LR    2,1
> >         PUT   OUTDCB,(2)
> >         B     LOOP
> >EOFRTN   CLOSE (INDCB,,OUTDCB)
> >         .
> >         .
> >         .
> >INDCB    DCB   DDNAME=INPUT,MACRF=GL,DDNAME=SYSUT1,EODAD=EOFRTN
> >OUTDCB   DCB   DDNAME=OUTPUT,MACRF=PM,DDNAME=SYSUT2,DSORG=PS

> >you use the following JCL --

> >//        EXEC PGM=COPY
> >//SYSUT1   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=input.dataset
> >//SYSUT2   DD  DISP=(,xxx),DSN=output.dataset,...

> >I hope that answers the question!

> >-- Steve Myers

> Nice job Steve, and to put one last edge on it, consider that
> there is a control block (in the job queue) where all these
> keyword thingies go called the Job File Control Block, or JFCB.
> The JCL information you supply for a particular DDNAME is used
> to fill in the blanks/defaults as the JCL is interpretted. At
> OPEN time, anything you supply in the DCB will override as well
> as continue to fill in the blanks. If the file happens to have
> a standard label (from a tape's HDR1 or a disk file's DSCB) any
> information from it is included too, but I forget exactly which
> one overrides which. The DCB overrides everything, and the JCL
> may override the label.

> Regards,

> Alex Vrenios
> Ph.D. Candidate
> ASU CSE Department
> --
> Alex Vrenios, kx9i
> 1998 PC800: Kazesan
> HRCA MBR # HM726120
> PCRC Registry #1002

Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help! Utter newbie needs help with basic code

2. Need very basic help starting out with Tcl(X) and Wish

3. A newbie needing some help to start

4. A newbie needing some help to start

5. Newbie question: Need a good starting point in VRML

6. Newbie needs a Tcl/Tk starting point.

7. Newbie to Tcl / Tk needs a quick start tutorial, and book

8. Extremely basic _Newbie_ question - help!?

9. Ruby-newbie seeks help with Rubywin starting IRB

10. Help ! Newbie need help

11. <help> newbie need help

12. I need a timestamp in milliseconds that starts when my program starts