OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
Author Message
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases

In the last 3 Months i have coded several 370
Assemblerprograms for reading IMS-Databases and
making reports on them.
So i have the question, if there is a programmable
report generator for IMS-Databases?
This would speed up my work a lot...

Thanks
      Ralf

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
COBOL. SAS with IMS access optional module. EASYTRIEVE
with IMS option. Any alleged 4th GL with its IMS option.

There is probably an IMS interface for almost any report
writer you can name.

Or are you reading the actual VSAM object and reporting
low-level structural type info?

        Jerry

Quote:
> In the last 3 Months i have coded several 370
> Assemblerprograms for reading IMS-Databases and
> making reports on them.
> So i have the question, if there is a programmable
> report generator for IMS-Databases?
> This would speed up my work a lot...
> Thanks
>       Ralf

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
CA-Earl form Computer Assosiates is also an interesting and good tool
to read all kind of Data (from DB2 over IMS to plain PO)

Klaus

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases

Quote:

> COBOL. SAS with IMS access optional module. EASYTRIEVE
> with IMS option. Any alleged 4th GL with its IMS option.

> There is probably an IMS interface for almost any report
> writer you can name.

> Or are you reading the actual VSAM object and reporting
> low-level structural type info?

>         Jerry

No, i am doing simple reports like counting all fields in
the IMS Database with a given value or find unallowed field
values. The problem is that the application maintaining the
database is almost 30 years old. The Segments are compressed
using a simple compression algorithm. The second problem
is that the database is very big, around 10 million segments.
The assembler progs i wrote need 20 minutes to read the
largest amount of 4 million segments in the database sequentialy,
how long would a 4GL need?

Do you have URLs for the 4GL you mention?

Thanks
      Ralf

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
SAS is from SAS Inc. Easytrieve is a CA product.

        Jerry

Quote:

>> COBOL. SAS with IMS access optional module. EASYTRIEVE
>> with IMS option. Any alleged 4th GL with its IMS option.

>> There is probably an IMS interface for almost any report
>> writer you can name.

>> Or are you reading the actual VSAM object and reporting
>> low-level structural type info?

>>         Jerry

> No, i am doing simple reports like counting all fields in
> the IMS Database with a given value or find unallowed field
> values. The problem is that the application maintaining the
> database is almost 30 years old. The Segments are compressed
> using a simple compression algorithm. The second problem
> is that the database is very big, around 10 million segments.
> The assembler progs i wrote need 20 minutes to read the
> largest amount of 4 million segments in the database sequentialy,
> how long would a 4GL need?
> Do you have URLs for the 4GL you mention?
> Thanks
>       Ralf

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
Take a look at a product called ULTIM. Very inexpensive to buy and support
annually. Written in Assembler and very efficient.
Product is very powerful and mature. MVS/VSE/PC/CICS source code identical.

I have used it for many years and really enjoy it. Feel free to write me if you
want details on functionality.

The company is

ULTIM Technologies
1000 St-Jean-Baptiste, #204
Quebec City, QC G2E 5G5
Canada

418-877-1361 - voice

If you call, tell them I sent you - they have become good friends over the
years.

Jim Steelman

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OT: Reportgenerator for IMS-Databases
By compressed, do you mean your program is decompressing the data
returned by IMS or the compression is done by an DLI compression exit?

If DLI is doing the compression, its not an issue otherwise you need to
get whatever report writer to do your decompression.

Alternatively, you could use HSSR to unload the database and then run
your report against the unload file.

says...

Quote:

--
Robert Ngan
CSC Financial Services Group

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. IMS Database Administrators Wanted

2. Question on path calls with IMS databases

3. JOB-US-FL-Mirimar - IMS Database Analyst

4. Skills Needed: UNIX-C, COBOL/BAL, IMS DBA, IMS, DB2 DBA, Oracle DBA, Smalltalk

5. Suche Reportgenerator für Clipper 5.2, u. andere Tools

6. slightly ot: database model.

7. OT - but interesting (for "database people"

8. Best database for Time Series Data [slightly OT]

9. ? Database of Database

10. C4: object database or relational database?

11. FU exacter Infos about databases, database functions in Eiffel

12. Infos about databases, database functions in Eiffel