How to determine language in MVS Load Module?
Author Message
 How to determine language in MVS Load Module?

Anyone know how to find out what language a program is written in by
interrogating a load module?  Is there a language byte or series of bytes  in
there somewhere?

Thanks for any information,

Rich

Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to determine language in MVS Load Module?

Quote:
>Anyone know how to find out what language a program is written in by
>interrogating a load module?  Is there a language byte or series of bytes  in
>there somewhere?

>Thanks for any information,

>Rich

Translater IDRs seem the best bet to me.  (They are after the CESD records but
before the first TEXT record.)  Of course, that will tell you the product number
which you then have to know.  eg.  5734-PL1 is OS PL/I.

Greg

Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to determine language in MVS Load Module?

AMBLIST with LISTIDR will show you the language processor and date
of compile and link.

Quote:

> Anyone know how to find out what language a program is written in by
> interrogating a load module?  Is there a language byte or series of bytes  in
> there somewhere?

> Thanks for any information,

> Rich

Wed, 16 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to determine language in MVS Load Module?

AMBLIST will do some good.... but many olde compilers did not write IDR
data into the object deck.  One minor challange is relating the various IDR
stamps to the actual compilers.  Some compilers have multiple known stamps
present in generated code.

The Edge Portfolio Analyzer http://www.edge-information.com uses many
techniques beyond IDR to recognize older compiler output.  Most of these
involve code pattern matching to known ancient patterns.
Rex Widmer
Builder of software archeology tools and other strange programs to help
survive in a legacy based world.

Mon, 21 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How do I FTP load modules from MVS-->PC-->MVS

2. Using DB2 in a load module in MVS Batch and CICS

3. MVS Load Module Format

4. Transfering MVS load modules via PC

5. Transfering MVS load modules via PC

6. Using DB2 in a load module in MVS Batch and CICS

7. MVS REXX to extract timestamp from load module?

8. Using DB2 in a load module in MVS Batch and CICS

9. Using DB2 in a load module in MVS Batch and CICS

10. Module information in load-module

11. Tape load/unload from within a Cobol/MVS program

12. Dynamically determining a class or module's file name