resend about HTML and UNICODE
Author Message
 resend about HTML and UNICODE

Amazing! The AOL sender stripped lines out of my message, presumably because it
looks for html kinds of markings. I'm resending the message with the html lines
in quotes to see if they get preserved.

I've written some code to create files encoded in ASCII and UNICODE for course
exercises. Now I'm writing some code to accept any of these files as input (as
well as the original EBCDIC version) and to produce a web page (html file)
containing information from the file. I pass the program a parm indicating if
the input is EBCDIC, ASCII, or UNICODE and whether the output should be in
EBCDIC, ASCII, or UNICODE.

I have the EBCDIC and ASCII outputs working correctly, but I'm having some
trouble with the UNICODE output. The program seems to run correctly, but my
browser doesn't display the data properly. So the problem is either in the code
or the browser [sigh, or possibly the data, but I don't think so].

The key to the problem that I'm focussing on right now is how to tell a browser
that a file is encoded in UNICODE.

The file that comes out of my program contains, as the first few lines:

 "<html>"
 "<head>"
 "<meta http-equiv="Content-type" "content=text/html; charset=ISO10646">"
 "<title>Report Using UNICODE</title>"
 "</head>"
 "<body>"

Then the formatted data.

All of these lines are coded as UNICODE constants in a separately assembled
module (e.g.: "DC CUL252'<html>'" ) and each line ends with x'2028' which is, I
believe, the UNICODE newline character.

So I got to thinking: how does a browser know what charset to use in order to
read the line telling it what charset to use?

Any pointers / suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:44:15 GMT
 resend about HTML and UNICODE

Quote:
> Amazing! The AOL sender stripped lines out of my message, presumably
because it
> looks for html kinds of markings. I'm resending the message with the html
lines
> in quotes to see if they get preserved.

It's probably your viewer, not your sender. I could read the HTML in your
original post using MS Outlook Express.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:13:51 GMT

1. re-resend about HTML and UNICODE

2. Got it: HTML, UNICODE, and Assembler

3. exhaustive mapping from html entities to unicode ?

4. email, unicode, HTML, and removal thereof

5. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

6. String case conversion - resend

7. Resend - Locator Problem

8. RESEND: C4(ABC) Template Problem

9. RESEND - Scanner database

10. [RESEND: C4 : File Opened Question]

11. VO Version 2 - Sabo Presentation in Toronto (resend)

12. Modula-2 Survey (Resend) If you have already answered=>delete