Mapping the IMS/ESA SPA?
Author Message
 Mapping the IMS/ESA SPA?

I was told that the only way to map the IMS/ESA SPA is to write an
assembler program.  The reason being that the SPA is not in a fixed
location in the log file.  Is that correct?  I'm not really an IMS/ESA
person, so I don't want to waste time writing a program if it isn't
needed.  I only want to map the SPA, so shouldn't there be a way to
just do the type 03 records. I've looked through the IMS/ESA books in
bookmanager, but that didn't really help me. If there is anyone here
that has done this with a program or any other way, I would really
appreciate your help.  Since I have never done this before, details
and examples would be great.  The system is OS/390 V9/V10 and IMS/ESA
V6/V7.

Thanks for the help,
Tony

Thu, 08 Dec 2005 06:19:53 GMT
 Mapping the IMS/ESA SPA?
On Saturday 21 Jun 2003 23:19 in

Quote:

> I was told that the only way to map the IMS/ESA SPA is to write an
> assembler program.  The reason being that the SPA is not in a fixed
> location in the log file.  Is that correct?

I haven't done any IMS for about 4 years, but as I recall there is a SPA
associated with every conversational MPP that is currently in conversation
with an LTERM. Whether or not each gets created is determined by the DL/I
commands pushed through the I/O PCB that manages the message queue for that
MPP instance.

Exactly where IMS stashes the SPA data is not documented, last I looked.

So, you will need to know which SPA (i.e. MPP instance) you want, and
whether or not an instance of that MPP is currently in converstaion with an
LTERM. My guess is that the SPA is stored in memory associated with the
LTERM, as the I/O PCB instance is associated with the LTERM. From a logfile
point-of-view, the log records associated with the LTERM would be the place
to look.

Be aware that SPA data are highly volatile. Each SPA typically changes each
time the conversation between the LTERM and MPP advances.

[You know, there was a time when I could charge about 65 per hour for
knowledge like that, and still give as vague an answer.]

--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU#314465]

Remove spam trap to reply via e-mail.

Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:30:53 GMT

1. IMS/DC: Use of SPA area

2. Skills Needed: UNIX-C, COBOL/BAL, IMS DBA, IMS, DB2 DBA, Oracle DBA, Smalltalk

3. Source Level Debugging w/IMS on an IBM MVS/ESA system.

4. map export with required maps?

5. MAP VisualSpeller and MAP First Impression Templates Update

6. Free 3D Maps/Map Maker

7. maps and meta-maps (was middleware)

8. Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)

9. ESA/390 TRAP instruction

10. Looking For ESA Cross-Memory Coding Examples

11. ESA/390

12. TIME Macro Expansion MVS/ESA