HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases
Author Message
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

I have found the   //SYSUDUMP DD   and/or   //SYSABEND DD
JCL statements very useful to debug such problems?

hth
regards Sven

Quote:

> G'day,

> A colleague is trying to debug an assembler program (using the HL Asm
> de{*filter*}) that accesses a Datacom database via a call to the URT's entry
> point DBNTRY. This eventually abends S806 as the DBNTRY routine appears to
> load/pass control to one or more Datacom modules dynamically.

. . . . . (snip)

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

Quote:

>G'day,

>A colleague is trying to debug an assembler program (using the HL Asm
>de{*filter*}) that accesses a Datacom database via a call to the URT's entry
>point DBNTRY. This eventually abends S806 as the DBNTRY routine appears to
>load/pass control to one or more Datacom modules dynamically.

>We have tried RTFM and we concatenated the Datacom (and some other) libraries
>to a DD and specified this DD in a SET LIBE statement in the REXX profile run
>at de{*filter*} initialisation. To no availS806. We do know the profile is
>running as we get a message during execution.

>What are we doing wrong?

>Is there any way we can get the Datacom libraries "steplibbed" in some way to
>the TSO debugging session without a change to the logon procedure?

>All help and comments gratefully received. . .many thanks

I really haven't used it, but if you are running under ISPF you could try
the ALTLIB facility...

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mrm/) from Roseville, California
(which has better transit service than Arlington TX, and 1/5 the population)

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

Quote:

>I really haven't used it, but if you are running under ISPF you could try
>the ALTLIB facility...

Or TSOLIB at the READY prompt.

Andy Wood

Mon, 27 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

I have run into a similar problem.  This is not simple:

My solution was to code a routine which I could invoke
using a REXX call instruction.  CALL 'LIBRARY(MEMBER)'

This routine was passed a DDNAME and a MODULE name.

The DDNAME was allocated to the load library where the
module I wanted to execute was located.

The routine would issue a LOAD macro for the passed
module name after opening the passed DDNAME.

This would get the module loaded into the Job Pack
Area (JPA).

Then, when the module is needed, it will be found
and executed from the JPA.

Jim Connelley

(my first post)

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

Are you running this under ISPF with ALTLIB for your ISPLLIB concatenation?
If so, Does your ISPF command go something like

SELECT PGM(xxx)

If it does, try changing it to

SELECT CMD(xxx)

The select CMD works differently to select PGM in that the ISPLLIB will be
properly preserved (something to do with ATTACH). I found this DOC
restriction on IBMLINK a while ago.

Hope this helps
Andrew

Quote:

>G'day,

>A colleague is trying to debug an assembler program (using the HL Asm
>de{*filter*}) that accesses a Datacom database via a call to the URT's entry
>point DBNTRY. This eventually abends S806 as the DBNTRY routine appears to
>load/pass control to one or more Datacom modules dynamically.

<clip>

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HL Assembler Debugger and Datacom Databases

Quote:
> Are you running this under ISPF with ALTLIB for your ISPLLIB concatenation?
> If so, Does your ISPF command go something like

> SELECT PGM(xxx)

> If it does, try changing it to

> SELECT CMD(xxx)

> The select CMD works differently to select PGM in that the ISPLLIB will be
> properly preserved (something to do with ATTACH). I found this DOC
> restriction on IBMLINK a while ago.

> Hope this helps
> Andrew

> >G'day,

> >A colleague is trying to debug an assembler program (using the HL Asm
> >de{*filter*}) that accesses a Datacom database via a call to the URT's entry
> >point DBNTRY. This eventually abends S806 as the DBNTRY routine appears to
> >load/pass control to one or more Datacom modules dynamically.
> <clip>

The way I call batch DL/I from TSO is to LIBDEF what would be in
STEPLIB to ISPLLIB.
Then you issue a ISPEXEC SELECT CMD(CALL 'a.load.lib(module)')

The CMD/CALL is this case runs as a sub-task with the ISPLLIB
libraries as it's TASKLIB so any standard LOAD SVCs get resolved thru
the TASKLIB.

--
Robert Ngan
CSC Financial Services Group

Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. What debugger do you use for Assembler Language?

2. MVS debuggers (was Re: debugging of assembler programs on CMS)

3. MMX assembler AND debugger

4. Freeware assembler/debugger wanted

5. 80x86 assembler debugger

6. BOrland Debugger 4.0 and assembler

7. Free assembler/debugger setup on win2000pro

8. MMX assembler AND debugger

9. Want to Buy TASM (Borland Turbo Assembler Debugger)

10. 32bit x86 assembler debugger ?

11. a86v372/d86v372.zip - Isaacson's ShareWare assembler/debugger v3.72