Source code for MVT?
Author Message
 Source code for MVT?

A little while back I saw mentioned that MVT (or some predecessor of MVS)
was public.  Is there some way to get a copy of this source code?

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Source code for MVT?

Quote:

>A little while back I saw mentioned that MVT (or some predecessor of MVS)
>was public.  Is there some way to get a copy of this source code?

IBM didn't copyright its mainstream operating systems until after New World
(the 1969 antitrust lawsuit).  That put the code into the public domain,
so if you find someone with readable copies you can get them legally.

The problem will be finding those copies, since OS/360 has been a dead
animal for many years.  If you've got a real need for it and are willing
to pay you might be able to get IBM to dig up a copy, but there would be
a nontrivial cost for the service.  I wouldn't be surprised to find that
some shop still has the tapes in a dusty archive, but it might be
difficult finding that shop.  The vast majority of shops that once had
the OS/360 source have almost certainly recycled or thrown out the
tapes.

Also, the source code tapes would not reflect changes made to the
system by the installation of PTFs unless they changed macro definitions.

Joe Morris / MITRE

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Source code for MVT?

Quote:

>A little while back I saw mentioned that MVT (or some predecessor of MVS)
>was public.  Is there some way to get a copy of this source code?

If you just want to read the source, it should available on microfiche
(we used to get complete source listings of VS1, CICS, and the PL/I
compiler on fiche ... as I recall, PL/I was bigger than CICS which was
bigger than VS1).  The "guts" of OS/360 was only about 8K (FLIH, some
I/O services) ... it was incorporated into MTS, whose source may still
be available from the University of Michican or one of the other
places that ran it (UBC, U of Alberta, Wayne State, Renselaer (sp?), ...).

--

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Source code for MVT?

Regards,
Terry Kummell

Joe Morris

[...]

Running MVS, VM and VSE on a Pentium 90 under Linux and Unixware!

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

2. Converting FORTRAN source code to C source code

3. The source and the sink different type with its source code

4. Find Forth source (was: 8031 Forth Source Code Needed)

5. Source Code Formatter - with source

6. Old MFT, MVT DEFINE command

7. PL/I, MVT on Linux and Win98/NT

8. ASM code public/private key cryptography source code

9. Source code for a Morse Code simulator

10. Open Source Code or Free code

11. Wanted: Source code for CODE-BAR39 generation

12. Translating fortran source code to matlab program (*.m) code