Req: Subsystem Development.
Author Message
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Hi:

I'm trying to development a subsystem that use JCL SUBSYS=(,) parameter.
But I don't saw any information in MVS library.

Does any one know how to do it ?

Regards.

Salvador.

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

> Hi:

> I'm trying to development a subsystem that use JCL SUBSYS=(,) parameter.
> But I don't saw any information in MVS library.

> Does any one know how to do it ?

> Regards.

> Salvador.

Salvador, what you are talking about trying to accomplish is NOT a
simple task. There are two publications which you MUST acquire.
1) Using the Functional Subsystem Interface,
2) Using the Subsystem Interface. (not sure about this title)

I know that both titles look similar, but they are two separate and
unique manuals....

Ciao, and good luck! You'll need it!

Bill B.

--
Notice: The entire universe may someday collapse back into an
infinitely small space. Should another universe later emerge,

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

> Hi:

> I'm trying to development a subsystem that use JCL SUBSYS=(,) parameter.
> But I don't saw any information in MVS library.

> Does any one know how to do it ?

> Regards.

> Salvador.

Check this HTTP out for all of IBM's manuals on-line

http://www3.pok.ibm.com/os390/bkserv/index.shtml
You should be able to find the books you need

--
(------------------------------------)
(        Jeremy A. Schwartz          )

(------------------------------------)

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

> > [SUPPRESSED]

> Salvador, what you are talking about trying to accomplish is NOT a
> simple task. There are two publications which you MUST acquire.
> 1) Using the Functional Subsystem Interface,
> 2) Using the Subsystem Interface. (not sure about this title)

Thank's Bill.

I've read these books.
I understand how SSI work.
I've developed some program that uses SSI.
But I cant use SUBSYS JCL parameter because it funtions
(38,39,17,18,etc..) are undocumented.

Any information ?

Regards, Salva.

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

>> Salvador, what you are talking about trying to accomplish is NOT a
>> simple task. There are two publications which you MUST acquire.
>> 1) Using the Functional Subsystem Interface,
>> 2) Using the Subsystem Interface. (not sure about this title)
>I've read these books.
>I understand how SSI work.
>I've developed some program that uses SSI.
>But I cant use SUBSYS JCL parameter because it funtions
>(38,39,17,18,etc..) are undocumented.

>Any information ?

A lot of years ago, I worked at Applied Data Research and was tangentially
involved with the development of the ADR/Librarian subsystem interface (LAM).
(Actually, I was mostly a sounding board for the guy who did the work.)  As I
recall, there is NOTHING from IBM about using DD-related subsystem functions.
The LAM developer ended up having to read an awful lot of microfiche.  I also
remember that this whole area of the subsystem interface struck me as being
lashed together with bailing twine and chewing gum, especially since it was
stuck onto Data Management (if anyone ever asks you to work on IBM data
management code, run like the wind <grin>).

Sorry I can't give you anything more...

++hobbitt
----------
My views are mine alone, not necessarily those of Candle Corporation.
Mike Carroll, Oak Brook R&D, Candle Corporation, Oak Brook, IL, USA

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

: I've read these books.
: I understand how SSI work.
: I've developed some program that uses SSI.
: But I cant use SUBSYS JCL parameter because it funtions
: (38,39,17,18,etc..) are undocumented.
:
What do you want to know?
A few years ago I wrote some test routines that used DD SUBSYS=

Function 38=CI
Function 39=Allocation
Function 16=open
Function 17=close
Function 7=unallocation

Cheers
Geoff

--

Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Get the CBT tape and pull the GPSAM code

Quote:

> > > [SUPPRESSED]

> > Salvador, what you are talking about trying to accomplish is NOT a
> > simple task. There are two publications which you MUST acquire.
> > 1) Using the Functional Subsystem Interface,
> > 2) Using the Subsystem Interface. (not sure about this title)
> Thank's Bill.

> I've read these books.
> I understand how SSI work.
> I've developed some program that uses SSI.
> But I cant use SUBSYS JCL parameter because it funtions
> (38,39,17,18,etc..) are undocumented.

> Any information ?

> Regards, Salva.

Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

>A lot of years ago, I worked at Applied Data Research and was tangentially
>involved with the development of the ADR/Librarian subsystem interface (LAM).
>(Actually, I was mostly a sounding board for the guy who did the work.)  As I
>recall, there is NOTHING from IBM about using DD-related subsystem functions.
>The LAM developer ended up having to read an awful lot of microfiche.  I also
>remember that this whole area of the subsystem interface struck me as being
>lashed together with bailing twine and chewing gum, especially since it was
>stuck onto Data Management (if anyone ever asks you to work on IBM data
>management code, run like the wind <grin>).

At Guide a few years ago, a gentleman named Ron Higgins gave an
excellent presentation on this very topic. I think it might have been
called "The colourized version of the SSI" (he has a sense of humour).
It might be available from Guide, if they still archive that stuff.
Ron works for Boole & Babbage in San Jose, you might be able to
contact him that way.
Regards,

Kevin Stewart
TD Bank IMS Technical Support
I don't speak for TD, and TD doesn't speak for me...

Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

<snip>

Quote:
> Notice: The entire universe may someday collapse back into an
> infinitely small space. Should another universe later emerge,
> the validity of this information cannot be guaranteed!

I thought IBM always guaranteed backward compatibility!

--
James E. Smith, Jr.

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

> <snip>
> > Notice: The entire universe may someday collapse back into an
> > infinitely small space. Should another universe later emerge,
> > the validity of this information cannot be guaranteed!

> I thought IBM always guaranteed backward compatibility!

> --
> James E. Smith, Jr.

Yes, that's correct... Up until recently I had an object *DECK*
*PUNCHED* to CMS "2540" virtual card punch; read into a TEXT file.
This file was created in 1976-ish. Every now and then I'd run it
through IEWL and LOAD/GENMOD, and run it. It always ran perfectly.
I used to use this little file to test compatibility from release
to release on both MVS and VM systems...

Finally, the ROUND tape it was on gave out and I couldn't read it
any more.... <sigh>

B.

Sat, 04 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Req: Subsystem Development.

Quote:

><snip>
>> Notice: The entire universe may someday collapse back into an
>> infinitely small space. Should another universe later emerge,
>> the validity of this information cannot be guaranteed!

>I thought IBM always guaranteed backward compatibility!

 No -- they are always compatible with backward guarantees.

Thu, 09 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. pydoc req thread; readline req NO thread

2. Subsystem question

3. MVS Subsystem question...

4. MVS subsystem to intercept messages

5. Reusing VW Help subsystem

6. 16 bit subsystem Error when trying to Start Clarion 5.5EE H and Clarion 6 EA3

7. 16 bit ms dos subsystem error

8. Understanding GETSYS subsystem

9. Help! MS Dos Subsystem Missing VDD Error

10. Oberon/F needs a form subsystem for views

11. TkGS Project to define a new Graphics Subsystem for Tk

12. link /subsystem:windows