micro 370
Author Message
 micro 370

I have been recently reading about the micr/370 CPU, presumably
used in the IBM PC/XT/370 and PC/AT/370 that I remember from
some years ago.

Are these available on the used computer market?

If so, about how much does one cost?  Hopefully a lot less than
when they were new, but I really don't know.

Thanks for any information,

-- glen

Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370

Quote:
>I have been recently reading about the micr/370 CPU, presumably
>used in the IBM PC/XT/370 and PC/AT/370 that I remember from
>some years ago.

>Are these available on the used computer market?

Yep, readily available.  I have one running VM/CMS and was building
a second "high performance" one but got distracted.  I'm told that
the AT/370 P/370 CPU card will run in some 386SX chassis.  That
coupled with a real fast disk will give you decent CMS performance.

Quote:
>Are these available on the used computer market?

>If so, about how much does one cost?  Hopefully a lot less than
>when they were new, but I really don't know.

You might be able to find a running XT/370 or AT/370.  The price could
be anywhere from zero (take this but give it a good home) to thousands
(I use it and can't replace it at except with a 15,000 dollar OPEN/370
or a 45,000 dollar P/390 in a 500 server or a used 9370.)

You can also build one up.  If you go that route; I can help you
with some of that and there are others with these things around.

Wed, 18 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370
Where are these available?

Gimme a clue ... I need one.

Thu, 19 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370
Your very own S/370 micro mainframe?
Want to run CMS, Exec2, Xedit on the desktop?
3270 emulation?
EBCDIC, S/370 instruction set, virtual memory?
S/370 floating point in hardware?
Is that what you want?  Just call 1-800-872-8878, tell them you
want the IBM 370 option board, have your MC or VISA card ready.

What you will get for $50 (fifty! dollars plus shipping) is a brand new,
still in the shrink wrap S/370 CPU implemented on 3 micro-coded CPUs( 2
68000 and 1 8087 ) and 512 K of S/370 DAT memory, a booklet and a diskette
with the S/370 "personality".

You will still need the PC/CMS software and a genuine IBM XT or AT in good
condition.  If you use an XT, you will need a copy of PC/DOS 2.0; 1.0 and 3.0
will not work.

When you are done, you will have something like a S/370 135 running a
single user CMS.

For the PC/DOS 2.0, you'll have to find a disk with 30 meg or less.  They're
getting scarce.  Let me know how you do with this project.

Fri, 20 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370
More on the micro S/370 boardset..
The store is: Timeline, Inc.  They advertise in MIDNIGHT ENGINEER.  In
California, their phone number is 1(800) 223-9977.  They're at 23605 TELO Ave,
Torrance, Ca 90505.  Their fax no. is (310) 784-7590.

The boardsets come in two kinds, XT and AT.  They look very similar.  Timeline
sells either, you pick, for fifty bucks.

Re: the PC/CMS software?  They don't seem to have that.

I would welcome corresponding about software availability to my mail drop,

I think the AT version requires a different PC/CMS from the XT version.  Does
anyone know?  I am running the XT version and don't have a AT going yet
so I can't test it.  I don't have the assembler but I have both assemblerF
for MVT and the VS assembler on my other desktop mainframe, the FSI
OPEN/370.  It should be possible to copy the load modules off.

Sat, 21 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
:
: The boardsets come in two kinds, XT and AT.  They look very similar.  Timeline
: sells either, you pick, for fifty bucks.
:
: Re: the PC/CMS software?  They don't seem to have that.
:
A surplus dealer unloading an obsolete (and not very successful) product,
Right?

-- gil

Sun, 22 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370

Quote:

>A surplus dealer unloading an obsolete (and not very successful) product,
>Right?

More a vendor of the technological weird.   They have a bunch of CCD
sensors that you can make into TV cameras and single board 286 computers.

Lets call it what it is, the XT/370 at 12,000 dollars in 1984 was a flop.
Who could possibly want at desktop 370/135 running a single user CMS?

But for a S/370 assembly language mechanic, it's the cheapest .35 IBM
mainframe MIPS that you can get.  For us 'elderly' types that worked
on things like 360/50's, 370/125s, 370/135s, 4331s.  This is like a
dream.  The one I built up feels like a real IBM mainframe, runs the
same code, and since I have maybe $250 dollars in it, is priced right.

I got my boardset from a guy who paid thousands and when I found about
Timeline, I bought a couple spares; I want to keep this thing running.

I also run desktop MVS but that's a serious machine, an FSI OPEN/370.
That badboy will out perform a 370/168 and it's the size of a PC.

Mon, 23 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 micro 370
I just bought one from timeline.

They are now $35, and he doesn't think they will run out soon.

But I still don't know where to get VM/PC?

If anyone does know where to get VM/PC, I would like to know.

-- glen

Sun, 01 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. IBM 370 ASM emulator from Micro Focus

2. FS/370 System/370 Emulator

3. 370 pseudo-ops (was: Questions on some 370 psuedo-ops {sic})

4. 370 pseudo-ops (was: Questions on some 370 psuedo-ops {sic})

5. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

6. Why floating point hardware: micro-parallelism, micro-cycles

7. S/370 Principles of Operation

8. Q: Free 370 Assembler?

9. IBM system 370

10. learning 370

11. using PC/370

12. Shareware 370 environment and assembler under Linux?