TIOT+8 for STC
Author Message
 TIOT+8 for STC

If I do a START DFHSM.MYHSM then MYHSM used to end up in TIOT+8 so that
I can pick it up from there and generate a MODIFY MYHSM,command and
deliver the command via SVC 34.

However, it has been reported to me that on some systems (MVS/ESA 5.2)
if START DFHSM.MYHSM is issued then TIOT+8 contains DFHSM, and now I
pick up DFHSM for my MODIFY command which will fail.

Can someone explain this to me?
Where is the best place to pick up the identifier in a "S
procname.identifier" command?

Edvin Vik

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

: If I do a START DFHSM.MYHSM then MYHSM used to end up in TIOT+8 so that
: I can pick it up from there and generate a MODIFY MYHSM,command and
: deliver the command via SVC 34.

: However, it has been reported to me that on some systems (MVS/ESA 5.2)
: if START DFHSM.MYHSM is issued then TIOT+8 contains DFHSM, and now I
: pick up DFHSM for my MODIFY command which will fail.

: Can someone explain this to me?
: Where is the best place to pick up the identifier in a "S
: procname.identifier" command?

This is probably a side effect of STC job name support.  STC job names and
STC identifiers are mutually exclusive.  The job name or identifier is
used on DISPLAY, MODIFY, RESET, CANCEL, FORCE, and STOP for the started
task, on SAF resources and user-ID assignment, and in SMF records.  It
sounds like you need to do a little homework to understand the
implications of STC job card support on your code.

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                | Voice:       (310) 338-0400 x318    |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | Facsimile:   (310) 338-0801         |

| 9841 Airport Blvd, Suite 700   | IBM Mail:    USS24J24 at IBMMAIL    |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | Phoenix BBS: Edjaffe (310) 417-8085 |

Sat, 27 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

Quote:

> This is probably a side effect of STC job name support.

I do not think so. I have tried S DFHSM,JOBNAME=MYHSM and TIOT+8
contains MYHSM. The difference is that TIOT+0 now contains MYHSM instead
of DFHSM.

I have not yet been able to supply a Jobcard in the JCL for the STC,
however, I suppose that should be consistent with how the JOBNAME= on
the START command works?

(BTW, are there any MVS, JES (or RACF) parameters to enable/disable or
customize this STC job card support?)

Edvin

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

Quote:

> I have not yet been able to supply a Jobcard in the JCL for the STC,
> however, I suppose that should be consistent with how the JOBNAME= on
> the START command works?

This is done by putting the JCL into 'SYS1.STCJOBS' or a PDS concatenated
with it in MSTJCL.

--
 --. --. --. --. : : --- --- .---------------------------------------------.
 |_| |_| | _ | | | | |_   |  |Internet provider for all Acorn RISC machines|
 | | |\  | | | | |\| |    |  '---------------------------------------------'

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

Quote:

>If I do a START DFHSM.MYHSM then MYHSM used to end up in TIOT+8 so that
>I can pick it up from there and generate a MODIFY MYHSM,command and
>deliver the command via SVC 34.

>However, it has been reported to me that on some systems (MVS/ESA 5.2)
>if START DFHSM.MYHSM is issued then TIOT+8 contains DFHSM, and now I
>pick up DFHSM for my MODIFY command which will fail.

>Can someone explain this to me?
>Where is the best place to pick up the identifier in a "S
>procname.identifier" command?

>Edvin Vik

My guess is that in the first case the step name in the JCL
was IEFPROC.  The DFHSM mentioned above probably had
//DFHSM EXEC PGM=ARCCTL
   and not
//IEFPROC EXEC PGM=ARCCTL

Cheers,
Greg

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

Quote:

> > I have not yet been able to supply a Jobcard in the JCL for the STC,
> > however, I suppose that should be consistent with how the JOBNAME= on
> > the START command works?

> This is done by putting the JCL into 'SYS1.STCJOBS' or a PDS concatenated
> with it in MSTJCL.

In which release of MVS did this feature first appear?  Is there an
indicator anywhere in the control blocks that 'SYS1.STCJOBS' is being
used?

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TIOT+8 for STC

: >

: > >
: > > I have not yet been able to supply a Jobcard in the JCL for the STC,
: > > however, I suppose that should be consistent with how the JOBNAME= on
: > > the START command works?
: > >
: > This is done by putting the JCL into 'SYS1.STCJOBS' or a PDS concatenated
: > with it in MSTJCL.
: >

The correct answer is that the //IEFJOBS DD in MSTJCLxx points to the PDS
(or concatenation) that will be used solely for STC job cards.  The data
set names can be ANYTHING!  The examples in the OS/390 books use
SYS1.STCJOBS so that's what most people code without knowing any better.
STC job cards may also be supplied on STC JCL loaded from //IEFPDSI.  Read
the IBM documentation for in-depth discussions on this subject.

: In which release of MVS did this feature first appear?  Is there an
: indicator anywhere in the control blocks that 'SYS1.STCJOBS' is being
: used?

I believe this first appeared in MVS/ESA V5 (about 5 releases ago if you
count back from OS/390 R3 like: OS/390 R2, OS/390 R1, MVS 5.2.2, MVS
5.2.0, MVS 5.1.0).

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                | Voice:       (310) 338-0400 x318    |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | Facsimile:   (310) 338-0801         |

| 9841 Airport Blvd, Suite 700   | IBM Mail:    USS24J24 at IBMMAIL    |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | Phoenix BBS: Edjaffe (310) 417-8085 |

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. dsnames thru TIOT , DCB & JFCB

2. STC versus JOB (off topic slightly)

3. ImageStripper.stc

4. Using of Count Buffered Edges(DAQ-STC).vi

5. Using of Measure buffered Period(DAQ-STC).vi for PCI-6025E board

6. LaForth and STC

7. finite pulse train (daq-stc).vi makes trouble

8. Two edge separation with a DAQ STC

9. Two edge separation measurement with DAQ STC (DAQ 6713)

10. DTC or STC Forth for C=64?

11. STC Info

12. Ada Language Sensitive editor at STC