DC Y2K Weather Report #3
Author Message
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

/* Note to moderators of listservs - this is not a job ad,
   this is an editorial review of Year 2000 job ads.  */

I have summarized and commented on a few mainframe computer jobs
advertised in the Washington Post.  This report is based on the Sunday
Post for February 16, 1997.

I am not affiliated with any of the companies and am telling you about
this job market to respond to those who insist: 1) Y2K is not driving
salaries up, 2) no one is working on Y2K, and 3) mainframes
were dead years ago anyway.

This Sunday, February 16, 1997, the Washington Post ran 17 pages of
Computer Help Wanteds.   Although this is fewer pages than last week,  I
count this as a dramatic increase as Monday is a holiday and job ads
are always way off on holiday weekends.  As usual there were lots of
variety, lots of jobs for PCs, Lans, AND Year 2000 mainframe jobs.
Most of the jobs were listed under Computer but some are in the
Engineering, Programmer, Professional sections.

I have changed the Weather Report format slightly.  The format is
company name, estimated cost of the ad, Job Quals, $alary, contact
information webpage / email / fax / mailing address, and (my editorial
comment.)

My editorial comment is meant to be humorous satire but grounded in
reality.  More editorial content follows the ads.  If you are a
representative of one of the companies and are offended by my take on
your situation; Get a life and a sense of humor!  To everyone
else, Enjoy, here are the highlights:

BSO, $150 (cost of the ad), COBOL DB2 CICS, $ not listed but the ad
says $HOW ME THE MONEY, http://www.*-*-*.com/ (Their ad also says cut out
the middleman.)

The Guild, $300, Project Manager Big 6, $180K, Heather

This outfit has been around DC for at least 15 years;  I think they are
a headhunter and jobshop.)

noname, $130, COBOL CICS, $ not listed, fax: 703 917-0634 (Fax bomb 'um
- Show me your Rates.)

Solutions, $200, COBOL II CICS 20 positions, $ not listed, email:

United Industries, $300, COBOL Senior, $ not listed, fax: 703 971-5892

Computech, $400, COBOL Senior Team Leaders etc, $ not listed, email:

Search Consultants, $300, COBOL, $55K, fax: 410 715-1137 (Tell them,
rates too low, going rate is $75K or more.)

Proview, $400, MVS COBOL (4 day week), MVS SYSTEMS, $75K, fax: 800
494-3411 (The 4 day week is interesting but how long will that last?)

City of Manassas, $500, MIS Director, $ not listed, fax: 703 335-0042
(This was one of about a dozen MIS director jobs listed,  what happened
to the incumbants?  Were they fired because of Y2K failures or have
they gone after the $100/hour consulting jobs?)

City of Alexandria, $1,000, MIS Deputy Director $64K, Applications
Supervisor $70K, (703) 838-4422 (info number), (These are great
opportunities for someone who doesn't want to work too hard.  Alexandria
is a small town with great restaurants and bars. A small tourist town
with a 4381 mainframe running VM and VSE.)

Datanomics, $1,500, Testers (mainframe and Unix), $ not listed, fax:
703 709-5395 (Y2K testing will be big.)

DMR TRECOM, $1,500, Testers COBOL DB2 IMS, $ not listed,
http://www.*-*-*.com/

QSS Group, $1,500, Y2K Adabas Ramis II IMS, $ not listed, fax: 301
918-4821 (Do you remember Ramis II? QSS better plan on paying a whole
bunch for this. )

Computech, $1,500, COBOL CICS, $ not listed, fax: 301 656-7060

SETA Corp, $1,500, Test COBOL Datacom/DB ROSCOE, $ not listed, email:

(KPMG is going after the big bucks, they'll share but you'll have to
wear a suit.)

AMS, $300, COBOL VSAM CLIST, $53K, usps: M. Sears, AMS, 12601 Fair
Lakes Circle, Fairfax Va 22033 (they need to pay more.  AMS, known as
Amos around here, used to be a product house and could have been CA,
Peoplesoft, or SAP but they went wrong about 10 years ago. I know some
of the stories from the old times.  Their 53K offering is an indication
of how far out-of-it Amos is.  Their ad had no fax number, email, or
web page.  How sad. )

Pinkerton, $1,500, PL/I IDMS Y2K, $ not listed, http://www.*-*-*.com/ (
Pinkie has been kicking {*filter*}in this area for at least 15 years. )

First {*filter*}ia Services, $1,200, COBOL Roscoe JCL, $ not listed,
http://www.*-*-*.com/ {*filter*}ia.com (First {*filter*}ia is a bank, they have lots
of money and lots to lose.  If you're a Ros-proc mechanic, don't be shy
on about your salary demands.  Use lots of digits.)

is a US IRS contractor, the IRS is firing a whole bunch of their
staff assembly language programmers; if you're being canned from your
$55,000 GS 13 programmer job, congratulations!  Give MSD a call but be
sure to ask for lots of money, you're worth it.)

Georgetown University, $1,200, COBOL Natural CICS, $ not listed, email:

lots of bars, probably not a good place for a career.)

Michie, $800, COBOL Culprit IDMS, $ not listed, usps: P.O. Box 7587,
C{*filter*}tesville, VA 22906-7587 ( Remember Culprit? Stick-em-up.)

Dept of Health Maryland, $1,200, Director(s) COBOL, $50K, usps:
Personnel, Dept of Health, 201 W. Preston St., Baltimore MD 21201 (You
could take the job for a half year, get the title, then look for a real
director's job.  Another out-of-it employer.  How sad.)

There were a half million dollars worth of print ads in the paper,
lots of C/C++, Unix, Oracle, SQL, Web stuff, some Windows, OS/2, VMS,
AS/400, something for everyone.  The COBOL, MVS ads shows that Y2K is
starting to hit the market.

I didn't list the agency ads that listed everything under the sun, you
know the ones I mean, they usually spell it Cobal.

This is just the beginning of the Y2K salary rev-up.  I've noticed that
a lot of marginal employers, the small mainframe shops that didn't have
to advertise for 15 years are now begging for help.  Their programmers
have all quit and they don't know what to make of it.  They think they
can replace old-Joe and old-Suzie who they were paying $55K with someone
at the same or slightly more money.  We need to tell them the facts of
life.

Please take a few minutes to respond to their ads in an honest and
forthright way.  If you feel they should list salary, tell them so. Tell
them what it would take to bring you in; if it's $90K, so be it, if
it's $150K, tell them. They need to know.  Some of those ads cost over a
thousand dollars.

Similarly, we need to get the word out to the headhunters and other
programmers.  If you email little joke/stories to your friends, send
them a copy of this weather report and other Y2K and industry trends
information.

The best thing for everyone would be for rates to spool-up high now
so that companies know what their costs are.  They can use stable high
rates to do their planning, negotiate their contracts, and decide which
systems are too costly to convert.

The worst situation would be discontinuities and jumps in rates.  If
rates stay too low for the next year and suddenly double or triple in
1999, all the planning will fall apart as programmers job-hop and
consulting and remediation vendors cancel their contracts or go
bankrupt.

If you're a degreed programmer with more than 4 years experience in
ANYTHING, you should be earning at least $75,000.   There were about a
thousand separate ads in the Post, some listing dozens, hundreds of
openings.

Do not agree to work for deferred compensation or bonuses paid after
December 31, 1999.  It is fine to work for a quarterly bonus but a
promise of a bonus 1,047 days from now is not worth considering.  Your
employer may not survive Y2K, in that case, you will be just another
creditor in the bankruptcy.  Rates may spin up so high that you can't
afford not to quit; you will have subsidized their poor planning by
working for less than scale up to the time you quit.

A good tactic may be to cap salaries at their current level and take
quarterly bonuses of the differential.  For NASD and NYSE companies,
stock and stock options are a good compromise.  The system must be
fair and generous.  The stock and options must vest immediately; if they
don't, programmers should resign immediately because that is a sign that
the company is not prepared to deal honestly.

We have 1,047 Days including weekends, holidays, vacations.  We've been
outa time for years.

 - Cory Hamasaki   http://www.*-*-*.com/
   Programmer for REDWOOD  - a Y2K remediation tool in public beta
              and HHRclock - a freeware Y2K countdown clock for OS/2

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

> (snip)

I appreciate the weather report, Cory.  I looked in the Memphis,
Tennessee newspaper last Sunday, and there was less than one page of
ads, including headhunters and body shops.  The going rate in Memphis
for a COBOL/CICS/DB2 progammer is $30 to $40 per hour.  Federal
Express is trying to get 300 Y2K programmers, and International Paper
has yet to do their Y2K survey.

I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
their local rates.

Dilbert

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

> >  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

> > (snip)

> I appreciate the weather report, Cory.  I looked in the Memphis,
> Tennessee newspaper last Sunday, and there was less than one page of
> ads, including headhunters and body shops.  The going rate in Memphis
> for a COBOL/CICS/DB2 progammer is $30 to $40 per hour.  Federal
> Express is trying to get 300 Y2K programmers, and International Paper
> has yet to do their Y2K survey.

> I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
> their local rates.

> Dilbert

Dilbert,

I'm doing a survey of this newsgroup through the end of this month.
Response has been good and $30 per hour sounds reasonable for your area.
My company contracts to the "Big 3" in metro Detroit. We have about 35
Mainframe people on our payroll and the top range is $35 per hour base
salary. They are w-2 employees (Company pays 7.65% FICA, 3.7% SUTA, .8%
FUTA, 1% Workers Comp in addition to salary). With overtime, the top
earners are making about $85,000 a year. Cost of living in the Detroit
area is slightly higher in Detroit than Memphis, so your numbers look
about right.

Steve "the recruiter" Wray    "Its not how much you make, its how much
you keep"

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>> >  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

>> > (snip)

>> I appreciate the weather report, Cory.  I looked in the Memphis,
>> Tennessee newspaper last Sunday, and there was less than one page of
>> ads, including headhunters and body shops.  The going rate in Memphis
>> for a COBOL/CICS/DB2 progammer is $30 to $40 per hour.  Federal
>> Express is trying to get 300 Y2K programmers, and International Paper
>> has yet to do their Y2K survey.

This is the paradox.  $40/hour on a W2 is $80K w/o overtime.  It could
easily be $100K with some OT.  It's good money for a low cost of
living area.  However, if FedX wants 300 programmers, they're going to
have to raid the state government of Tennessee and the city of Memphis
where docile civil servants are looking forward to their lavish and safe
retirement in 10-20 years.  These civil servants aren't stupid, they
know what retiring on a government pension means.  My mom was an 'early
out' federal retiree; she's been leaching off the Civil Servants
Retirement System for 25 years and looks like she'll go another 15-20
years.

So FedX runs their ads and their tame recuiters sucker (I mean, OFFER
opportunities) to one or two programmers a month.  They're not going to
make 300.

If they don't make 300, they don't survive Y2K or survive in a way
that's extremely painful and expensive.

If they don't get 300 this year, they'll want 600 next year.

Quote:
>> I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
>> their local rates.

I would too.  I don't think Washington DC is an anomaly.

>> Dilbert

>Dilbert,

>I'm doing a survey of this newsgroup through the end of this month.
>Response has been good and $30 per hour sounds reasonable for your area.
>My company contracts to the "Big 3" in metro Detroit. We have about 35
>Mainframe people on our payroll and the top range is $35 per hour base
>salary. They are w-2 employees (Company pays 7.65% FICA, 3.7% SUTA, .8%
>FUTA, 1% Workers Comp in addition to salary). With overtime, the top
>earners are making about $85,000 a year. Cost of living in the Detroit
>area is slightly higher in Detroit than Memphis, so your numbers look
>about right.

>Steve "the recruiter" Wray    "Its not how much you make, its how much
>you keep"

Absolutely true, $85K is good money. Those guys were probably
earning more like $50-65K last year.  One advantage to working with
someone like Steve v. some of these nubies recruiters, is that Steve is
taking the time to educate himself and his clients.  When the real
increase happens, guys like Steve will have the contacts and knowledge
to shift the staff to the employers who are willing to pay the rate.

What does a C/C++ X-windows cranker with Sun Unix and Ingris SQL get?  A
mainframer should get more.

Cory Hamasaki  "This is all about money."

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>>  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

>> (snip)

>I appreciate the weather report, Cory.  I looked in the Memphis,
>Tennessee newspaper last Sunday, and there was less than one page of
>ads, including headhunters and body shops.  The going rate in Memphis
>for a COBOL/CICS/DB2 progammer is $30 to $40 per hour.  Federal
>Express is trying to get 300 Y2K programmers, and International Paper
>has yet to do their Y2K survey.

>I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
>their local rates.

>Dilbert

Hi Dilbert,

Do you think that there are 300 programmers in Memphis waiting to be
called for work? No, they are working at some other shops. What Federal
Express has to do is steal them with good offers. That triggers the
rates not only for Y2K projects but for normal needs.

One of the problems is that companies and recruiters are hoping to get
the resources soon, this way they are delaying the projects.

Eduardo Garcia
Austin, Texas

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

> >> snip
> >> I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
> >> their local rates.

I am in the Muskegon, Mi area and contracting to a manufacturer.  I am
not currently in their y2k project, but they are paying $50.00 per hour
for me.  They do have a y2k project established and I doubt if those
people are costing any less.

--
Later,

Patrick

Homepage: http://home1.gte.net/goupell

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

> If you're a degreed programmer with more than 4 years experience in
> ANYTHING, you should be earning at least $75,000.   There were about a
> thousand separate ads in the Post, some listing dozens, hundreds of
> openings.

What about no degree, but 15 years experience (5 at senior journeyman)?

---
Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
- --
"Some people just enjoy finding fault with our leaders.  They're anarchists.
They're troublemakers.  Or they're just unpatriotic."
        - Julie Musante, "Political Officer"
          _Babylon 5_, _Voices Of Authority_, Third Season

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Cory, et al:

In the Sunday NY Times there were about 10 pages of "computer" ads.
There were, by my count, 10 Y2K ads.  None of the contract Y2K ads had
rates, and the only FT ad with $$ was for Proj Mgr at $110K/year.

/Jim/

Quote:

> [...]

> stock and stock options are a good compromise.  The system must be
> fair and generous.  The stock and options must vest immediately; if they
> don't, programmers should resign immediately because that is a sign that
> the company is not prepared to deal honestly.

> We have 1,047 Days including weekends, holidays, vacations.  We've been
> outa time for years.

>  - Cory Hamasaki   http://www.*-*-*.com/
>    Programmer for REDWOOD  - a Y2K remediation tool in public beta
>               and HHRclock - a freeware Y2K countdown clock for OS/2

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>I am in the Muskegon, Mi area and contracting to a manufacturer.  I am
>not currently in their y2k project, but they are paying $50.00 per hour
>for me.  They do have a y2k project established and I doubt if those

Patrick,

When you say 'they are paying $50/hr for me' Are you a consultant or
that is what you receive as W2 or what your broker receives.

Eduardo Garcia
Austin, Texas

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

<big snip>

Quote:

>What does a C/C++ X-windows cranker with Sun Unix and Ingris SQL get?  A
>mainframer should get more.

>Cory Hamasaki  "This is all about money."

Normally I agree with everything you say, Cory, but pay should not be based
on what systems you've worked on, but experience and quality of work, supply
and demand being equal, of course. Now I understand that many mainframers
are old-timers, and maybe what's what you were getting at, but we don't
need a lame-war here about mainframers vs PCers, etc.

Now, supply and demand with all the Y2K work coming up, is not going to be
equal by any stretch of the imagination. Mainframers, especially experienced
ones are going to be in much greater demand and will get the highest
salaries.

--

Paul using SLRN and OS/2 Warp.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>>  Cory Hamasaki's Washington DC Y2K Mainframe Job Weather Report #3

>> (snip)

>I appreciate the weather report, Cory.  I looked in the Memphis,
>Tennessee newspaper last Sunday, and there was less than one page of
>ads, including headhunters and body shops.  The going rate in Memphis
>for a COBOL/CICS/DB2 progammer is $30 to $40 per hour.  Federal
>Express is trying to get 300 Y2K programmers, and International Paper
>has yet to do their Y2K survey.

>I would like to hear from folks in other cities and countries with
>their local rates.

>Dilbert

Right next door to you, Little Rock, Arkansas, had less than one page of
data processing help wanted ads in their lone Sunday paper... of these,
three small ads were for main-frame establishments.  A couple of temporary
firms were asking for main-frame expertise, however.

J Eades.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:
>Cory, et al:

>In the Sunday NY Times there were about 10 pages of "computer" ads.
>There were, by my count, 10 Y2K ads.  None of the contract Y2K ads had
>rates, and the only FT ad with $$ was for Proj Mgr at $110K/year.

>/Jim/

How does that compare to 5 years ago and a year ago?

I've been reading the Washington Post for 20 years.  The historic
average page count for a January/February is 2-3 pages.

It started going up about a year ago.

Cory Hamasaki

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

>> If you're a degreed programmer with more than 4 years experience in
>> ANYTHING, you should be earning at least $75,000.   There were about a
>> thousand separate ads in the Post, some listing dozens, hundreds of
>> openings.

>What about no degree, but 15 years experience (5 at senior journeyman)?

>---
>Frank Ney  WV/EMT-B VA/EMT-A  N4ZHG  LPWV  NRA(L) GOA CCRKBA JPFO
>Sponsor, BATF Abuse page   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~croaker/batfabus.html
>West {*filter*}ia Coordinator, Libertarian Second Amendment Caucus
>NOTICE: Flaming email received will be posted to the appropriate newsgroups
>- --
>"Some people just enjoy finding fault with our leaders.  They're anarchists.
>They're troublemakers.  Or they're just unpatriotic."
>        - Julie Musante, "Political Officer"
>          _Babylon 5_, _Voices Of Authority_, Third Season

Frank, By degreed w/ 4 years most people mean the same as about 6-8
years w/o a degree;  either way, someone who has been around long enough
to know which way is up, where the john is, how to code a control card
for IEBPTPCH, document a print layout, when to use a PERFORM VARYING.

Anyway after 5 years or so, it all starts to gel, you've got a
track record, you know your stuff.

Cory Hamasaki  "I'm not arguing with someone with an NRA(L) after his
               name"

               and no, I'm not interested in your Holland and Holland
               600 Nitro Express matched box dueling set

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Hi Edward,

I'm sorry.  I was in a hurry to reply and I miscommunicated somewhat.
Federal Express appears serious about cleaning up their systems for
Y2K.  They are looking to bring in about 300 additional programmers
just to do Y2K work.  But FedEx has about 3,000 programmers in offices
in Colorado Springs CO, Dallas TX, Memphis TN, Orlando FL, and Hong
Kong.  There are at least six different contracting organizations that
I am aware of trying to bring in those 300 programmers.  I think that
they are doing their best to bring in people, but they can only offer
what the client, FedEx, is willing to pay.  In fact, about a month
ago, a couple of those organizations with offices in Dallas posted ads
for these positions right here in this very forum.

The attitude at International Paper scares me a little.  When I fould
out that the Memphis DP groups had not yet even done their Y2K survey
yet, I wonder just how small they believe the problem is.

There are also {*filter*}s in Tunica MS, about 20 miles south of Memphis,
that are looking for DP help for the slot machines and for accounting
systems.

My particular situation is pretty good for me.  I repair Y2K problems
as I encounter them performing other maintenance requests.  I work 40
hours or less per week.  My agency gets $48 per hour for me, of which
I get $33.  It is worth the $15 to me for my extra FICA, workman's
compensation, and unemployment insurance to be paid; as well as for
all the other paperwork to be handled by someone else.

Dilbert

Quote:

>Hi Dilbert,

>Do you think that there are 300 programmers in Memphis waiting to be
>called for work? No, they are working at some other shops. What Federal
>Express has to do is steal them with good offers. That triggers the
>rates not only for Y2K projects but for normal needs.

>One of the problems is that companies and recruiters are hoping to get
>the resources soon, this way they are delaying the projects.

>Eduardo Garcia
>Austin, Texas

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DC Y2K Weather Report #3

Quote:

> >Cory, et al:

> >In the Sunday NY Times there were about 10 pages of "computer" ads.
> >There were, by my count, 10 Y2K ads.  None of the contract Y2K ads had
> >rates, and the only FT ad with $$ was for Proj Mgr at $110K/year.

> >/Jim/

> How does that compare to 5 years ago and a year ago?

> I've been reading the Washington Post for 20 years.  The historic
> average page count for a January/February is 2-3 pages.

> It started going up about a year ago.

> Cory Hamasaki

I don't know.  I've only lived in the City for 1.5 years.  All but one
month I've worked in Atlanta and Boston commuting home on weekends.

I keep an eye on the Times henceforth.

/Jim/

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 112 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

 Relevant Pages

1. DC Y2K Weather Report (ALC 9, power, Time Machines, How Bad)

2. Available: DC Y2K Weather Report #17

3. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

4. DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

5. gatherwrite Re: DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

6. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

7. Available: DC Y2K Weather Report #17

8. DC Y2K Weather Report # 7

9. DC Y2K Weather Report #6

10. DC Y2K Weather Report # 4

11. DC Y2K Weather Report (Real GPS, ICBMs, ALC, 250K grant)

12. DC Y2K Weather Report # 11