Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
Author Message
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
mainframe assembly. Thanks

Sat, 23 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:
>I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
>couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
>IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
>any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
>mainframe assembly. Thanks

I learned ALC from a book we all called Struble, which was the author's name;
it had a catchy title like "Assembler Programming" or some such. That was a
decent book, but is more than a little dated by now.

I taught ALC with the assistance of a couple of books from Mike Murach and
Associates (publishers); one was called something like "OS Assembler Programming"
and the other was "DOS Assembler Programming". Note that Assembler
programmers don't like to be too flashy about their books, only their code.

The reason I don't remember these books well is that I haven't seen any of them
in about 15 years; a quick search of Amazon.com just now (using "OS Assembler
Programming") showed about a dozen titles, some out of print, some about OS/2.
I don't think there was a single title published after 1989, so happy hunting.

R;

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:

> I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
> couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
> IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
> any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
> mainframe assembly. Thanks

The book I used in college is called _Assembly Language Programming (for the IBM
system 360 and 370 for OS and DOS)_ by Michael D. Kudlick.  It's published by
the Wm. C. Brown Co in Dubuque, Iowa.  It's an excellent manual and I still use
it even though I'm now coding Assembler for IBM's TPF os.  You might have
trouble finding a normal bookstore that will carry Assembler books.  But you
might try college bookstores or the pubisher.

--
Chuck Rush
The Sabre Group

Umbra scit.
The Shadow Knows.

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
All of the reference manuals are online (or, used to be).  The most recent
URL that I have is:

    http://www.s390.ibm.com/os390/bkserv/

although I just tried it and am not getting through (this may be a problem
with our local routers or with our firewall).
--

      IBM Research, Yorktown Heights

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
If you can find it, I like:
A Simplified Approach to S/370 Assembly Language Programming
                          Barbara J. Burian / Published 1977

It's out of print, but you can try Amazon.com for out of print search.

Also Amazon has one titled:

MVS Assembler Language
by Kevin McQuillen, Anne Prince (Contributor)

Which has good reviews from readers.  Hope this helps.

John

Quote:

> I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
> couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
> IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
> any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
> mainframe assembly. Thanks

Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
On Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:16:25 -0500, John A Parke

Quote:
>If you can find it, I like:
>A Simplified Approach to S/370 Assembly Language Programming
>                          Barbara J. Burian / Published 1977

>It's out of print, but you can try Amazon.com for out of print search.

>Also Amazon has one titled:

>MVS Assembler Language
>by Kevin McQuillen, Anne Prince (Contributor)

I got that one from Mike Murach and it is an excellent reference and
teaching book.

Quote:

>Which has good reviews from readers.  Hope this helps.

>John

>> I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
>> couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
>> IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
>> any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
>> mainframe assembly. Thanks

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-
You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoes and
wonder what else you can do while you're down there.

 Steve

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
I have just started the process of renewing some of my long lost ASM skills and here's a
few references for you. I have just recently purchased all of these.

McQuillen, Kevin & Prince, Anne, MVS Assembler Language, 1987. ISBN: 0-911625-34-8. Mike
Murach & Associates (800) 221-5528 - $36.50.
This is the revised edition of the McQuillen classic (I believe the original papyrus
written in ancient Greek was lost in the great fire at Alexandria, but your grandad may
have a copy up in the attic). Still somewhat dated, but solid. I bought a copy thru
Murach, but I had seen it at Borders Books.

Stern, Sager, & Stern, Assembler Language Programming, 1986. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN:
0-471-88657-2 (Not sure of price). I got mine at Borders.
Although subtitled "For IBM snd IBM-Compatible Computers" they're not talking PC's -- they
mean Mainframes (I guess an IBM-compatible mainframe would be an Amdahl!).

You also need to get an IBM Principles of Operation Manual for whatever OS you're using. I

SA22-7201-05 and was only $13.75. Now this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle thru
the relevant parts you'll become very smart.

Also consider a "yellow card" - the ESA/390 Reference Summary -- SA22-7209 $15.25.
At this price I believe its become more than my trusty old System/370 Reference Summary,
but I haven't received it yet from IBM. You used to have to steal the IBM stuff from work,
but now anyone can buy a lot of their stuff.

Richard

Quote:

> >I am new to assembly language and know nothing about it I have to take a
> >couple classes in college dealing with Mainframe Assembly Language for the
> >IBM 360 mainframe.  I  was wondering if someone could tell me if there are
> >any good books or online tutorials for someone who knows nothing about
> >mainframe assembly. Thanks

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:

> You used to have to steal the IBM stuff from work,
> but now anyone can buy a lot of their stuff.

To say nothing of the fact that most IBM manuals are online
now, eg.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ :80/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/library
http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Jack J. Woehr                 # The Drug War is Race War
PO Box 51, Golden, CO 80402   # The Drug War is Class War.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~jax/rcfb # Arrest the War on {*filter*}.

Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:

>>You also need to get an IBM Principles of Operation Manual for whatever OS

you're
using.
I just ordered a copy from IBM publications

$13.75. Now
this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle
     thru the relevant parts you'll become very smart.<<

Richard,
 FYI, the Principles of Operation is not targeted to an operating system. It
is targeted at the
hardware. For what its worth, the other four manuals absolutely required for
MVS
development, Assembler services guide and reference, and DFSMS Using
Datasets and
it's related macro reference. The guides aren't bad for tutorials, the
references are a must...

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:

> >>You also need to get an IBM Principles of Operation Manual for whatever OS
> you're
> using.
> I just ordered a copy from IBM publications

> $13.75. Now
> this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle
>    thru the relevant parts you'll become very smart.<<

So all asm/370 programmers are very smart? Wow. :-)

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
I'm sorry Bill, but all of the Principles of Operation Manuals that IBM publishes
are under the titles "ESA/390 Principles of Operation", "System/370 Principles of
Operation"... etc., etc. You ORDER the manual based upon the Operation System you
are writing for. I've never heard of someone ordering a PofO for an IBM 3331, or
4341. Your FYI sounds a little arrogant.
The other manuals you mentioned may be necessary for DEVELOPMENT, but this guy just
wanted to LEARN ASM. Otherwise, you could recite the an entire litany of IBM manuals
which are needed (like Messages and Codes/JCL/VSAM/IDCAMS, etc.
Quote:

> >>You also need to get an IBM Principles of Operation Manual for whatever OS
> you're
> using.
> I just ordered a copy from IBM publications

> $13.75. Now
> this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle
>      thru the relevant parts you'll become very smart.<<

> Richard,
>  FYI, the Principles of Operation is not targeted to an operating system. It
> is targeted at the hardware.

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language
Ehud, your attention to detail is lacking...I hope you're a little more careful
with your programming. I didn't write anything about all asm/370 programmers being
smart. I was making a point about ESA/390. It seems that a few asm/370 programmers
are smart asses.
Quote:

> > you're
> > using.
> > I just ordered a copy from IBM publications

> > $13.75. Now
> > this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle
> >    thru the relevant parts you'll become very smart.<<

> So all asm/370 programmers are very smart? Wow. :-)

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Where to find books or online tutorials for Mainframe Assembly Language

Quote:
>I'm sorry Bill, but all of the Principles of Operation Manuals that IBM publishes
>are under the titles "ESA/390 Principles of Operation", "System/370 Principles of
>Operation"... etc., etc. You ORDER the manual based upon the Operation System you
>are writing for. I've never heard of someone ordering a PofO for an IBM 3331, or
>4341. Your FYI sounds a little arrogant.
>The other manuals you mentioned may be necessary for DEVELOPMENT, but this guy just
>wanted to LEARN ASM. Otherwise, you could recite the an entire litany of IBM manuals
>which are needed (like Messages and Codes/JCL/VSAM/IDCAMS, etc.

>> you're
>> using.
>> I just ordered a copy from IBM publications

>> $13.75. Now
>> this isn't easy reading, but if you struggle
>>      thru the relevant parts you'll become very smart.<<

>> Richard,
>>  FYI, the Principles of Operation is not targeted to an operating system. It
>> is targeted at the hardware.

I'll have to agree with Bill here.  A 4381 is a particular machine
model, as is a 3031, a 3081, a 3090, a 3090T, a 3090J/H, a 3090E, a
9672, etc.  All of these machine models are classed into System/370,
370/XA, ESA/370, ESA/390, familes.  On any of these machines, you
can run a variety of operating systems, such as VM, MVS, VSE, etc.
The Pop applies to a particular family of machines (e.g., hardware),
and is not operating system specific.  There's a Pop for the S/370,
one for the 370/XA, one for the ESA/370, one for the ESA/390, etc.
Now, you can get individual manuals for the particular machine
model.  These are typically the Functional Characteristic manuals,
and note any deviations from the architecture for that particular
machine model, along with any special characteristics of the
machine.  But, the Functional Characteristic manuals do not describe
the complete architecture of the machine model; for that, you have
to go to the Pop for the family of machines that that machine
belongs to.

Dave

P.S. Standard Disclaimer:  I work for them, but I don't speak for them.

P.P.S. And, certain machines may belong to more than one machine family,
depending upon the microcode and features which have been installed.  I
seem to remember that the 308x machines could be either S/370 or 370/XA
depending upon the microcode level.  I also seem to remember that the
certain of the 3090 machines could be either 370/XA or ESA/370 machines.

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 24 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Assembly Language Tutorial Books?

2. where I can found Peter Norton's Assembly Language Book for the IBM PC bookz

3. 80x86 Assembly Tutorial Available Online

4. where can i find good virii tutorials online???

5. tcl online books and tutorials

6. Online help about 80x86 Assembly Language

7. Finding a good Verilog tutorial book.

8. An assembly language fundamentals tutorial that covers 32-bit and MASM

9. Updated PC Assembly Language Tutorial

10. Assembly Language for TI-86 or the Z80 assembly Language

11. Assembly Language Tutorial / Document Project

12. Assembly Language Tutorial Available On-Line