JES 2 EOJ
Author Message
 JES 2 EOJ

I have used JES2 exit 8 to detect when a job is ending by checking
field SJBXQFN1 for the SSOBTERM bit in the $SJB for the job.  At that
point you could send a message or xmpost your started task that your
special job has ended.  Further you could tell if it ended normally
or not because you are running in the jobs address space at the time.
Check the OS/JCT field JCTJSTAT for the JCTABEND bit, if on, grab
field JCTACODE.  Hope this helps.

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JES 2 EOJ

Quote:

>Anybody know a method that a started task in MVS/ESA can detect when a specific
>JES 2 job ends. End of Task and End of Memory Subsystem Interface Calls are no
>good. Apparently the Initiator sends a Subsystem Interface call at end of job but
>only to the primary Subsystem - JES 2.
>Any insight appreciated.

You could always look for the JES2 message to go by (via the WTO
subsystem call, or I think there's some new feature for getting
messages).  Ugly I know, but it'd get the job done.

Tony H.

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JES 2 EOJ

Quote:

> Anybody know a method that a started task in MVS/ESA can detect when a specific
> JES 2 job ends. End of Task and End of Memory Subsystem Interface Calls are no
> good. Apparently the Initiator sends a Subsystem Interface call at end of job but
> only to the primary Subsystem - JES 2.
> Any insight appreciated.
> Mark.

It's been a long time since I've done this stuf, but . . .

There used to be a series of SMF exits that got called at
end-of-step and end-of-job.  We used to put code there to
trap those events.  One technique involved issuing console
MODIFY commands (via SVC 34 - I think) to the STC with the
data of interest.

Now that all the MVS messages can be processed before being
sent to the console etc. you could trap the MVS message number
that is written a job end and use that to generate the MODIFY
command for the STC.

Hope this helps.

Shalom Reich

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 JES 2 EOJ

Quote:

> Anybody know a method that a started task in MVS/ESA can detect when
> a specific JES 2 job ends.

Perhaps you can modify or front-end IEFACTRT to notify your started task.
Note however that IEFACTRT may not be driven if SMF is not active for one
reason or another.  I don't know if SMF caches the IEFACTRT routine address
in one of its control blocks; if so, then front-ending IEFACTRT will be a
hassle.  Your intercept code will be somewhat invasive and you have to watch
for things like "T SMF=".

You could watch for "job ended", "job failed" and "terminated at EOM"
messages through the SSI, or through front-ending SVC 35.

You could watch for DETACH of the JS TCB (but beware of forced EOM).
Alternately, you could screen calls to EXIT (SVC 3).

Hmmmm.  Haven't done dirty stuff like this in a few years.

--
David "all dump datasets are full" Andrews

Sat, 01 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Get Jes RC from inside a Job

2. UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

3. Determining JES Class for executing program

4. reading JES held output queue

5. Jes numbers

6. MVS-JES command output

7. Code & JES Log

8. ftp_lib access to MVS/JES

9. MVS FORTRAN Question: How do you write to JES Log?