any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence
Author Message
 any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence

Quote:

>  At a company I used to work at:

>    Brought in an off-shore operation (Tata).  They placed five
>    people on-site to study the application, host platform, and
>    take care of translations, client smoozing, etc.
>    Spent most of their time studying the California Driver's
>    Handbook.

>    Did the conversion go well?
>    The VP of MIS got canned.  You do the math.

> That's about the 5th horror story I?have heard in the past 3 weeks
>about these kind of "factories".....when will senior management catch-on
>? As they are being hustled out the door ? (Probably, not even
>then......)

It's not the last you'll hear.  How many C/S conversions worked?  What
about the whole rightsizing of the 1980's?

As the days count down, the DOPE's ( Dilbert's boss, the Director Of
Product Enhancment) will get more and more frantic, when in danger or in
doubt, run in circles, scream and shout, when in trouble or in pain, run
some more and scream again.

1,009 days now, scream, run, contract with off-shore remediation
factories, run some more, <insert scene from 'The Fly', help me, help
me>  dart your eyes around, panic, roll on the carpet, froth at the
mouth, 1,009 days to go.

Cory Hamasaki       http://www.*-*-*.com/
HHResearch Co.     OS/2 Webstore & Newsletter
REDWOOD

I'm not worried, I'm a shift-less computer consultant who can read S/370
machine language, write PL/I, S/370 assembly language, Rexx, C/C++.

I've got MVS/370 with TSO, JES2, VSAM running right here in my living
room on a desk-side mainframe.   I'm working on a Y2K remediation tool.

Anyone want to team up?  It's almost time to swing the New Balance's off
the desk, lean forward, and start doing some work.

<Yawn> It's sunny outside. <stretch>  <scratch>  Maybe if I get Peter
(M.S. Math, S/370 Assembly Language, Rexx, C/C++, fortran, VM
Internals), Kathleen (M.S. CS, S/370 Assembly Language, Rexx,
C/C++, COBOL), Becky (Degree Candidate M.S. CS Johns Hopkins, C/C++,
Fortran, Smalltalk, SQL), Mike1 ( M.S. Software Engineering, S/370
Assembly Language, Rexx, Fortran, C/C++, Oracle), Mike2 ( PhD, S/370
Assembly Language, C/C++, PL/I, SQL/DS, CMS, Oracle) and a couple
others, we can bail out one company.  We're all in our 40's or 50's,
average 25 years of experience.

But maybe not yet.  It's such a nice day and I hate to ruin it by
working too hard.  Maybe I'll have lunch with Peter, much too nice a day
to work.

If you are interested in teaming, and I won't be doing much for
another 6 months, send me your resume.  I'm looking for a few others
like Peter and me.  Credential'ed, in depth experience, at least a
decade on S/370, preferably 2 decades.  I'll assemble us into a package
and hit up some corps around here,  we need to discuss the approach; do
we just job shop ourselves?  How should we price ourselves?

I'm not stuck on the M.S. or CS, experience counts more and we already
have three hard core M.S.

Couple rules, you gotta want to fit into the team, have solid expertise
in some aspect of S/370-390, be a real code cranker.  We're not going
after the absolute top dollar but we're not competing with off-shore or
90-day wonders either.   I figure we'll bill ourselves as the affordable
professionals.

Here are the holes, we're weak on CICS, IMS.

You can also snail-mail your resume to me at 3503 Norris Place,
Alexandria, Va 22305.

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence

Quote:

>If you are interested in teaming, and I won't be doing much for
>another 6 months, send me your resume.  I'm looking for a few others
>like Peter and me.  Credential'ed, in depth experience, at least a
>decade on S/370, preferably 2 decades.  I'll assemble us into a package
>and hit up some corps around here,  we need to discuss the approach; do
>we just job shop ourselves?  How should we price ourselves?

>I'm not stuck on the M.S. or CS, experience counts more and we already
>have three hard core M.S.

>Couple rules, you gotta want to fit into the team, have solid expertise
>in some aspect of S/370-390, be a real code cranker.  We're not going
>after the absolute top dollar but we're not competing with off-shore or
>90-day wonders either.   I figure we'll bill ourselves as the affordable
>professionals.

>Here are the holes, we're weak on CICS, IMS.

>You can also snail-mail your resume to me at 3503 Norris Place,
>Alexandria, Va 22305.

Interesting, I am not ready yet but will consider soon. Credentials
include 33 yrs mainframe starting with S/360 hardware internal logic,
machine language and ALC. Operating systems internals (DOS, OS/MVT,
VS1, VSE, MVS) products internals (COBOL, CICS, DL/1, VSAM, PL/S)
languages (COBOL, CICS, PL/1, PL/S, PLAS, REXX, etc). System Programmer,
troubleshooter, system analyst, programmer, dump eater and more.

The only problem is that I am starting a human resources business for
mainframes and need to know how it goes before trying another. Will
keep in touch.

Eduardo Garcia
Austin, Texas

Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence

<snip>

I'm interested but booked until the 3rd quarter of 1997.

Credentials:
M.A. + B.S. in Computer Science
10+ years on S/370/390 in operating system internals(VM/CMS and
VM/RSCS).  Enhanced and maintained XEDIT, SVC 202/204, CMS Loader,
VM-MVS compatibality interfaces(e.g ATTACH, LINK, OS SVC's etc.)
Languages - Machine language, 370 Assembler, PL/S, PLAS, PL/X, REXX,
some COBOL.
1.5 years in project management focusing on software quality
1 year in management - applications development supervisor in a
DOS/VSE/COBOL and Windows NT shop.
1 year software training - just taught a s370, BAL, PL/X class(13
weeks) at a fortune 100 company.

In addition, I am a registered ISO 9000 auditor under the U.K. TickIT
scheme for Software & an American Society for Quality Control
Certified Quality  Auditor(CQA).

George Calafut

Montrose, Penna.

Thu, 16 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence

2. how many MVS coders are there in India? Re: any code crankers? was: Indian Intelligence

3. Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code

4. code for artificial intelligence programming

5. I am stuk CHECK my Code - access.txt (0/1)

6. hi i am tring to make some code that does this

7. Smalltalk lead Developer-Urgent Full time position-USA-Indian MNC

8. Smalltalk Lead Developer-urgent position in USA-Indian MNC

9. Teach Prisoners and Indians Smalltalk

10. LOGO-L> Looking for Indian Script logo

11. PL/1 Analyst/Programmer Required for UK and Indian based Position

12. PL/1 Analyst/Programmer Required for UK and Indian based Position