3270
Author Message
 3270

             Can anyone tell me what should I do to write an
             IBM 3270 emulation on PC ? Which manuals must I have ?

             Thanks for your help ..

-orhan-

Mon, 01 Nov 1993 15:48:44 GMT
 3270
I think, that you need this manual probably.

IBM 3270 Information Display System Component Descpription

                                                 T. Smolik

Tue, 02 Nov 1993 01:51:35 GMT
 3270

Quote:

>             Can anyone tell me what should I do to write an
>             IBM 3270 emulation on PC ? Which manuals must I have ?

Starting with a working emulation.
For example, get the "Clarkson University TCP Communications Package"
(using "anonymous-FTP") from 'OMNIGATE.Clarkson.EDU'.
Or, use the KERMIT package, which does VT-100 emulation,
and connect to an IBM 7171 or IBM 3172 (which does VT-100_to_IBM_3270
protocol conversion).

Tue, 02 Nov 1993 06:48:44 GMT
 3270

Quote:

>             Can anyone tell me what should I do to write an
>             IBM 3270 emulation on PC ? Which manuals must I have ?

The single most important manual is the 3174 control unit manual. I'd
be more explicit as to title, order number, etc., but I don't have one
handy. The KWIC index should be able to help there though. It has all
the various sequences you will need to handle as well as describing the
various choices for connecting.

In general, though, I'd advise you to think twice about this. In order
to connect as a 3270 to a system, you will need some hardware either an
IRMA card equivalent for local connection or an sdlc/bisynch card for
"remote" (remote by 3270 definition). Then you'll have to do all the
esoteric programming necessary to look like a control unit in that
environment and only then can you write the terminal code. I guess
you could use a token ring card and go in through a 3174, but I know
less about that interface. The 3174 manual should cover it, though.

If you don't need any of these things, then you're dealing with a case
where someone has already done most of the hard work and you need to
investigate it more fully. Most existing emulations are one of five
types: a hardware card that makes the PC look like a 3278 (or whatever)
to the 3[12]74; a similar arrangement except the PC looks like a remote
control unit and in connected to the front end box (a 3745 or something);
the PC connects to a box (either by ascii async or by local net) which
in turn looks like a 3174 to the host (either by channel attachment or
as a remote); and the PC connects to the host by whatever means and
software in the host does the conversion there.

A possible addition to these is tn3270 emulation. It's my understanding
that there is some knowledge on the host side (which would lump it
under the fourth category), but I could be completely wrong. If you're
unfamiliar with this, it's a form of telnet except the session appears
as a 3270 to the application.

This is all a bit vaguer than I'd like, but it's been a while since I
did any of this.

Terry

Sat, 06 Nov 1993 02:07:38 GMT
 3270

Quote:

>             Can anyone tell me what should I do to write an
>             IBM 3270 emulation on PC ? Which manuals must I have ?

The single most important manual is the 3174 control unit manual. I'd
be more explicit as to title, order number, etc., but I don't have one
handy. The KWIC index should be able to help there though. It has all
the various sequences you will need to handle as well as describing the
various choices for connecting.

In general, though, I'd advise you to think twice about this. In order
to connect as a 3270 to a system, you will need some hardware either an
IRMA card equivalent for local connection or an sdlc/bisynch card for
"remote" (remote by 3270 definition). Then you'll have to do all the
esoteric programming necessary to look like a control unit in that
environment and only then can you write the terminal code. I guess
you could use a token ring card and go in through a 3174, but I know
less about that interface. The 3174 manual should cover it, though.

If you don't need any of these things, then you're dealing with a case
where someone has already done most of the hard work and you need to
investigate it more fully. Most existing emulations are one of five
types: a hardware card that makes the PC look like a 3278 (or whatever)
to the 3[12]74; a similar arrangement except the PC looks like a remote
control unit and in connected to the front end box (a 3745 or something);
the PC connects to a box (either by ascii async or by local net) which
in turn looks like a 3174 to the host (either by channel attachment or
as a remote); and the PC connects to the host by whatever means and
software in the host does the conversion there.

A possible addition to these is tn3270 emulation. It's my understanding
that there is some knowledge on the host side (which would lump it
under the fourth category), but I could be completely wrong. If you're
unfamiliar with this, it's a form of telnet except the session appears
as a 3270 to the application.

This is all a bit vaguer than I'd like, but it's been a while since I
did any of this.

Terry

Sat, 06 Nov 1993 02:07:38 GMT
 3270

              I have been using PC3270, Workstation, Myte emulation
              programs,
              In addition to, I seems non IBM product emulators in PC and
              Amiga, Vax ect. computers .. and I want to write my emulator ..

              My connections are: 3278/3279 Emulation Adaptor,
              SDLC adaptor, and extra tokin ring network adaptor,

              First I think that I must relate local connection
              bitween PC (CUT terminal) and 3174 (or 3274) control unit,

              I meen, I need full info about this terminal-CU
              3270 data streams ..

              Recognize you any emulation program author ? Or can you
              tell me any 3270 manual name ?

              Thank you for your helps,

-ohan-

Mon, 08 Nov 1993 02:21:25 GMT

1. 3270 Emulation

2. Looking for IBM 3270 Terminal Emulator for Windows

3. HELP about 3270 emulator ...

4. 3270 Emulation and File Up/Download

5. Waiting for a 3270 to become active

6. Question: 3270 VTAM Application program

7. 3270 emulation & APL keyboard

8. 3270 screen buffer address computation

9. 3270

10. I need a 3270 emulator that supports APL2 and runs under Solaris

11. APL characters in 3270 emulation

12. 3270 emulators.