more Chinese horseshit
Author Message
 more Chinese horseshit

BEIJING (Reuters) - Top Chinese scientists have decided that the millennium
kicks off on January 1, 2001, the China Daily said Friday.
Scientists based their conclusion on the Gregorian calendar, which marks the
beginning of the first century at year one.

"If the start of the 21st century and the third millennium were set in 2000,
it would mean that there would have been only 99 years during one of the
last centuries," researcher Xie Baocheng of the Chinese Academy of Social
Sciences was quoted as saying.

The year 2000, when the millennium bug may threaten computers, should not be
confused with 2001 when the 21st century really begins, Xie said.

The millennium bug is a computer glitch which will cause chaos as computers
confuse the year 2000 with 1900.

Chinese department stores and businesses, hoping to cash in as soon as
possible on the hype surrounding the advent of the new millennium, have
ignored the international consensus that 2001 is the beginning of the
millennium and have marked next year as the 21st century.

"Frankly speaking, we are not sure about the date," the daily quoted one
store's public relations officer as saying, "We just wanted to make
promotional activities more attractive, and the coming of the new year
offers a good opportunity for slogans

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
This is an assembler forum, please keep it this way.

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit

+This is an assembler forum, please keep it this way.
+
Please excuse Bill -- he has a wild hair up his asm, and
can't help it.

--
dlmiller/at/netdirect/dot/net

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
Is that what it was?  I thought it was another of those goddammned literals
on the loose.

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
Fortunately, AFAIK, nobody programs around millennia, so we don't have to
care.

Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
I've seen this issue crop up a lot, and it seems so obvious...

A Word (in MVS) is 32 bits.   The first Word starts with bit 1 (offset 0)
and ends with bit 32 (offset 31).  The second word starts with bit 33
(offset 32).

A Millenium is 1000 years.  The first millenium starts with year 1 (offset
0) and ends with year 1000 (offset 999).  The second millenium starts with
year 1001 (offset 1000).

If code in assembly language, why is this so hard to understand?

Quote:
> BEIJING (Reuters) - Top Chinese scientists have decided that the
millennium
> kicks off on January 1, 2001, the China Daily said Friday.
> Scientists based their conclusion on the Gregorian calendar, which marks
the
> beginning of the first century at year one.

> "If the start of the 21st century and the third millennium were set in
2000,
> it would mean that there would have been only 99 years during one of the
> last centuries," researcher Xie Baocheng of the Chinese Academy of Social
> Sciences was quoted as saying.

> The year 2000, when the millennium bug may threaten computers, should not
be
> confused with 2001 when the 21st century really begins, Xie said.

> The millennium bug is a computer glitch which will cause chaos as
computers
> confuse the year 2000 with 1900.

> Chinese department stores and businesses, hoping to cash in as soon as
> possible on the hype surrounding the advent of the new millennium, have
> ignored the international consensus that 2001 is the beginning of the
> millennium and have marked next year as the 21st century.

> "Frankly speaking, we are not sure about the date," the daily quoted one
> store's public relations officer as saying, "We just wanted to make
> promotional activities more attractive, and the coming of the new year
> offers a good opportunity for slogans

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit

Quote:

> I've seen this issue crop up a lot, and it seems so obvious...

> A Word (in MVS) is 32 bits.   The first Word starts with bit 1 (offset 0)
> and ends with bit 32 (offset 31).  The second word starts with bit 33
> (offset 32).

I guess your Assembler is a little rusty:-)  In the IBM world a word is
defined by the hardware, not the OS; A full word contains 32 bits,
designated 0-31 from left to right, and the address of the leftmost byte
is a multiple of 4.

Bill {*filter*}

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
OK - you are correct a word is defined by the architecture, and the bits in
a byte, word, etc are counted by offset.  So, to restate...

We have no year '0' because IBM was not consulted.  If they had been, a
millenium would be 1024 years, and we would still have almost 50 years to
solve the Y2K problem...

Regards,
        Dean

Quote:

> > I've seen this issue crop up a lot, and it seems so obvious...

> > A Word (in MVS) is 32 bits.   The first Word starts with bit 1 (offset
0)
> > and ends with bit 32 (offset 31).  The second word starts with bit 33
> > (offset 32).

> I guess your Assembler is a little rusty:-)  In the IBM world a word is
> defined by the hardware, not the OS; A full word contains 32 bits,
> designated 0-31 from left to right, and the address of the leftmost byte
> is a multiple of 4.

> Bill {*filter*}

Sun, 05 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit

Quote:

>Actually a mellenium would be 512 years, with zeroth bit being reserved to
>determine the calendar mode...

And the ICM instruction would have been Insert Calendar Mode?

Quote:

>> OK - you are correct a word is defined by the architecture, and the bits in
>> a byte, word, etc are counted by offset.  So, to restate...

>> We have no year '0' because IBM was not consulted.  If they had been, a
>> millenium would be 1024 years, and we would still have almost 50 years to
>> solve the Y2K problem...

>> Regards,
>>        Dean

----
Jeff

   God was able to create the world in seven days only because He didn't
   have an installed user base to worry about.

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 more Chinese horseshit
Now that's cute.

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Chinese Remainder Theorem

2. Chinese remainder theorem

3. positions for Chinese or Japanese speaking SMALLTALKERS

4. Chinese Translation of an APL program

5. awk to insert space between chinese chars

6. Chinese Language Programming

7. Chinese/Korean Support

8. Does anybody have Chinese character set encoders?

9. Support for Chinese/Korean

10. Chinese Flashcard Project - Help!!

11. Automatically select Chinese input?

12. TextConverter & Chinese