Latest IBM Reference Card? 
Author Message
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:

>IBM Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Principles of Operation, SA22-7201.

Ah! The local University bookstore doesn't carry these anymore...but
now I know the number, and can try ordering it from IBM (sheesh...if
the reference card is $15.25, this, of course, will be more
expensive...) to keep up-to-date.

John Savard



Thu, 26 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:


> >IBM Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Principles of Operation, SA22-7201.

> Ah! The local University bookstore doesn't carry these anymore...but
> now I know the number, and can try ordering it from IBM (sheesh...if
> the reference card is $15.25, this, of course, will be more
> expensive...) to keep up-to-date.

I purchased the latest version the POO book just before Christmas,
as it's ancient predecessor had literally fallen apart. ISTR it
costing around 12 UK pounds, so I'd expect the native price to
be around $18. Not bad value for a book the size of your average
Yellow Pages.

IBM reference cards are ALWAYS expensive, relative to their scope
and it's often more cost-effective to buy the full size book.

Another example that springs to mind is the Bookmaster Quick
Reference booklet and the User Guide - one is the size of a
birthday card, the other is a BT phone book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Donald                                                    G7ENQ
Euro Interconnect Signaling Systems                (44) 01628 431063

"What I'm out for's a good time. All the rest is propaganda"
Alan Sillitoe 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' 1960.
--------------------------------------------------------------------



Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:

> I purchased the latest version the POO book just before Christmas,
> as it's ancient predecessor had literally fallen apart. ISTR it
> costing around 12 UK pounds, so I'd expect the native price to
> be around $18. Not bad value for a book the size of your average
> Yellow Pages.

I've just bought the ESA 390 POp - it cost me just under 12 GBPs I
think. I was stunned, I seem to remember the POp costing stacks a few
years ago!

I must get the HLASM Reference and the MVS ESA Services Reference now!

--
Andy Styles.

 My opinions are exclusively my own. No-one else wants them. (<sniff>)



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?



Quote:
>I've just bought the ESA 390 POp - it cost me just under 12 GBPs I
>think. I was stunned, I seem to remember the POp costing stacks a few
>years ago!

Well at least for the last decade or so they've been way cheap, if I remember
right I paid $2.99 for the 360 POOP in 1984 (but it's a lot thinner than the
370 POOP), and got a couple of versions of the 370 POOP for around $15 after
that.  IIRC the 360 POOP has a bunch of charts for various codes in the back,
BCDIC, EBCDIC, 029 etc. and then they list ASCII "for completeness", with a
footnote saying that no IBM product uses ASCII (funny I thought the 360 still
had an ASCII mode) but if one ever does, they will replace the "^" character
with a funny weather symbol, or some such bullshit.  I love it!  Leave no
standard unviolated...  AFAIK it was a lie, the 3101 and 5150 use perfectly
normal ASCII for printing characters anyway.

John Wilson
D Bit



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

|>
|> >IBM Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Principles of Operation, SA22-7201.
|>
|> Ah! The local University bookstore doesn't carry these anymore...but
|> now I know the number, and can try ordering it from IBM (sheesh...if
|> the reference card is $15.25, this, of course, will be more
|> expensive...) to keep up-to-date.

The P. of O. is close to a thousand pages of fine print.

The reference card is:

Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Reference Summary, SA22-7209.

(Up to 55 pages now -- I can't find my green card, but the yellow one
from '76 was 8 pannels.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexis/Nexis      |       my own.          |   (513) 865-1020



Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:



> >I've just bought the ESA 390 POp - it cost me just under 12 GBPs I
...
> BCDIC, EBCDIC, 029 etc. and then they list ASCII "for completeness", with a
> footnote saying that no IBM product uses ASCII (funny I thought the 360 still
> had an ASCII mode) but if one ever does, they will replace the "^" character
> with a funny weather symbol, or some such bullshit.  I love it!  Leave no
> standard unviolated...  

The 360 had an ASCII mode, but the only effect was to change the sign
generated by decimal operations.  No IBM operating system ran with that
bit turned on, and the PSW bit was reused in the 370 for virtual mode.

Quote:
> AFAIK it was a lie, the 3101 and 5150 use perfectly
> normal ASCII for printing characters anyway.

> John Wilson
> D Bit

When the 360 POO was written, the 3101 and 5150 were not products.  When
they wrote it, that's what they intended to happen if the government
forced ASCII on them.  Instead it was market forces that pushed them
into ASCII.  There's a very interesting book in the IBM DP series about
the history of character codes called _Character Coded Sets_ or
something like that.


Sun, 29 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

: The P. of O. is close to a thousand pages of fine print.
: The reference card is:
: Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Reference Summary, SA22-7209.
: (Up to 55 pages now -- I can't find my green card, but the yellow one
: from '76 was 8 pannels.)
You will need to use POPs at least once in a while.  Otherwise,
sometimes, you will simply avoid using the appropriate instruction.

If you work where they hold IBM licences, you should have access
to the CD-ROM image for the doc under book manager.  Free?  Who has
checked into this?  Book manager on net is not too good, but
I tried book manager on TSO/ISPF and that was very bad.

B.T.W. The oldest greenie I have is GX20-1703-7, so there would be
at least 6 versions before that.  This one is 6 "panels", 12 pages.
No copyright date is shown.  Is it c. 1968?

--                                  __  __

:-)    Search Service Development  \_\/_/\/  Office:  B5/F4/MA/54S05
The opinions I assert are opinion.  \_\_\/\  (513) 865-6800 x-4733
Home:  682 Deerfield Dr.            /_/_/\/  Lexis-Nexis, POB 933
Harrison, OH 45030  (513) 367-5653  \_\_\/   Dayton, OH  45401



Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:

> If you work where they hold IBM licences, you should have access
> to the CD-ROM image for the doc under book manager.  Free?  Who has
> checked into this?  Book manager on net is not too good, but
> I tried book manager on TSO/ISPF and that was very bad.

Odd, here they have BookManager under TSO/ISPF, and it's very good! It
can be a little slow to get into, but it's pretty comprehensive. It's
got the ESA 390 POP, the MVS/ESA Services and lots of others too. It's
pretty disk hungry, from what I remember.

--
Andy Styles.

 My opinions are exclusively my own. No-one else wants them. (<sniff>)



Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?


Quote:

>: The P. of O. is close to a thousand pages of fine print.
>: The reference card is:
>: Enterprise Systems Architecture/390 Reference Summary, SA22-7209.
>: (Up to 55 pages now -- I can't find my green card, but the yellow one
>: from '76 was 8 pannels.)
>You will need to use POPs at least once in a while.  Otherwise,
>sometimes, you will simply avoid using the appropriate instruction.

>If you work where they hold IBM licences, you should have access
>to the CD-ROM image for the doc under book manager.  Free?  Who has
>checked into this?  Book manager on net is not too good, but
>I tried book manager on TSO/ISPF and that was very bad.

>B.T.W. The oldest greenie I have is GX20-1703-7, so there would be
>at least 6 versions before that.  This one is 6 "panels", 12 pages.
>No copyright date is shown.  Is it c. 1968?

>--                                  __  __

>:-)    Search Service Development  \_\/_/\/  Office:  B5/F4/MA/54S05
>The opinions I assert are opinion.  \_\_\/\  (513) 865-6800 x-4733
>Home:  682 Deerfield Dr.            /_/_/\/  Lexis-Nexis, POB 933
>Harrison, OH 45030  (513) 367-5653  \_\_\/   Dayton, OH  45401

Mine's a -9 version (GX20-1703-9), and it was up to 14 pages
(7 panels) by then. Again, no copyright date, so I can't say
when it first appeared.

Dave

P.S. Oh, there's also an OS/2 version and a DOS version of
BookManager Read.  I find that I like the DOS version better
than the TSO or CMS versions.  And, the P-of-O is available on
some of the CDs, such as SK2T-2067-11, the VM Collection CD set.

P.P.S. Standard Disclaimer:  I work for them, but I don't
speak for them.



Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:
> > If you work where they hold IBM licences, you should have access
> > to the CD-ROM image for the doc under book manager.  Free?  Who has
> > checked into this?  Book manager on net is not too good, but
> > I tried book manager on TSO/ISPF and that was very bad.

Is the S/390 Quick Ref card on Book Manager?  We have the full Prin of
Oper, but not the reference card.  I'd like to print down a summary.  The
Full manual is huge


Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?


Quote:

>B.T.W. The oldest greenie I have is GX20-1703-7, so there would be
>at least 6 versions before that.  This one is 6 "panels", 12 pages.
>No copyright date is shown.  Is it c. 1968?

I have an X20-1703-5 (no leading "G" designator), 12 panels.  No date on
it, but because I can reckon by PPOE when I was likely to have been issued
it, I'd say it was definitely not 1967 or earlier; would very likely have
been 1969; could have been 1970.


Mon, 30 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?

Quote:

> Mine's a -9 version (GX20-1703-9), and it was up to 14 pages
> (7 panels) by then. Again, no copyright date, so I can't say
> when it first appeared.

> Dave

Mine's a - 9 also. I bought it at the Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo) book
store for 15 cents in 1972. We were running OS/PCP 19.6 at the time.

--
---

Beyond Software, Inc.      http://www.beyond-software.com
"The Mainframe/Internet Company"



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?


Quote:

> P.S. Oh, there's also an OS/2 version and a DOS version of
> BookManager Read.  I find that I like the DOS version better
> than the TSO or CMS versions.  And, the P-of-O is available on
> some of the CDs, such as SK2T-2067-11, the VM Collection CD set.

There's also a Windows version which I find works very well ... as long as
you're using a SVGA monitor!!  And if you've got a 3270 emulation software
on your PC you can download POPs, and most other IBM published manuals,
from the mainframe to your PC using INDFILE - but make sure you do it in
binary mode NOT text mode.

James
James Harper            Upton-by-Chester, Chester, CH2 1EB, UK

http://www.harpers.demon.co.uk



Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?


 >The 360 had an ASCII mode, but the only effect was to change the sign
 >generated by decimal operations.  No IBM operating system ran with that
 >bit turned on, and the PSW bit was reused in the 370 for virtual mode.

I think it also affected UNPK, ED, and EDMK.



Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Latest IBM Reference Card?


 >If you work where they hold IBM licences, you should have access
 >to the CD-ROM image for the doc under book manager.  Free?  Who has
 >checked into this?  Book manager on net is not too good, but
 >I tried book manager on TSO/ISPF and that was very bad.

The latest OS/2 BookManager is a schizophrenic descent into "the internet
is all" mentality. It actually translates BookManager format (which wasn't
that bad really) into HMTL, and forces you to use IBM's Web Explorer to
read it.

Even though connected to the internet by token ring, I still experience
freezes when it's up.



Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 26 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. Hollerith cards or IBM cards (or punched cards)

2. IBM DOS Technical Reference Manual 3.3 or later

3. FS: IBM System/360 Reference Card

4. Hollerith cards or IBM cards?

5. s/390 card reference card

6. Early/late model punched card machines--history question

7. Latest Puffin Article on IBM's developerWorks

8. FYI - Strange speeds with latest IBM SysUtil API's

9. Performance of various data types (IBM's latest mainframe compiler)

10. IBM 600 series punch-card calculators

11. IBM 600 series punch-card calculators

12. Old IBM "Yellow Card"

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software