Reserved Bits - Was:
Author Message
 Reserved Bits - Was:

In a message dated 03-04-97, Bob Halpern said to All about Re: Reserved Bits
 BH>But, as long as products that I work on require supporting hardware
BH>(and operating systems) that don't know a BAS from a hole in the
BH>wall, I have to use BALx family. Acutally, I am now working on a
BH>product that supports XA customers and will be dropping this too
BH>(I hope).

The last CPU that didn't support BAS & BASR was the IBM 4341 (and perhaps
Amdahl & NAS plug compats). The 4361 (I think), 4381 (I'm certain) and 303x
boxes all had it, as did the XA machines: 308x and early 3090's.

It was supported in MVS/370, provided the hardware was new enough (303x
worked just fine). All MVS/XA systems will support it, since it is essential
for sensible AMODE switching.

There should not be any reason to code a BAL or BALR these days, not even to
get the program mask (IPM).

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>
___
 * MR/2 2.25 #353 * I keep my .BATs in D:\BELFRY
--
Please remove the '$' in the from line before reply via email.
Anti-UCE filter in operation.

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Intel Reserved bits in CR0

2. Intel Reserved bits in CR0

3. 16 bits vs 32 bits apps

4. 16 bits Version faster than 32 bits ?????

5. Machine Forth vs ANS : 20 bits vs 32 bits

6. 23 bits to 8 bits

7. 16 bits versus 32 bits instructions

8. String Instructions 16 bits or 32 bits ???

9. 16 bits versus 32 bits instructions

10. 64-bits divided by 64-bits

11. 32-bits / 32-bits

12. Looking for Book: bits of history, bits of advice