Happy Birthday disk drive!
Author Message
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

The disk drive was announced 40 years ago, after invention by IBM.

Happy Birthday!

Can you imagine where we'd be without them?

Can you believe how much they've gone down in price and up in capacity
and speed?  The original cost $3,000 per month and held 50 Meg, and was
the size of a room.  You can buy a 2nd hand laptop today for $200 (a
286) and get more horsepower.

Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

: The disk drive was announced 40 years ago, after invention by IBM.

: Happy Birthday!

: Can you imagine where we'd be without them?

: Can you believe how much they've gone down in price and up in capacity
: and speed?  The original cost $3,000 per month and held 50 Meg, and was
: the size of a room.  You can buy a 2nd hand laptop today for $200 (a
: 286) and get more horsepower.

Correct that $3,0000 for inflation and the mind really boggles!

--

            Compuserve 72632,2674

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the {*filter*} of
patriots.  - Thomas Paine

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

>and speed?  The original cost $3,000 per month and held 50 Meg, and was

5 Meg, not 50.

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

Quote:

>The disk drive was announced 40 years ago, after invention by IBM.
>Happy Birthday!
>Can you imagine where we'd be without them?
>Can you believe how much they've gone down in price and up in capacity
>and speed?  The original cost $3,000 per month and held 50 Meg, and was
>the size of a room.

Well not quite, but here's a clue:  IBM jargon for them was
"washing machines".  Mainframe disk drives still in use today
(DASD) are still called "washing machines" (and look it) by
old-timers, but are *lots* more than 50 meg.

Quote:

--
S. Taibi
***** Write in JULIAN BOND for president in '96 *****

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

Quote:

> Well not quite, but here's a clue:  IBM jargon for them was
> "washing machines".  Mainframe disk drives still in use today
> (DASD) are still called "washing machines" (and look it) by
> old-timers, but are *lots* more than 50 meg.

The washing machine was the 2321 Data Cell, because it moved back and
forth looking exactly like a washing machine. Prior to the 2321, for
the 360 line, were the 2311 and 2314. Prior to the 360 line there was
the 305 RAMAC and its follow on, the 1405, used with the 1401 and
1410. On the 305 and 1405 the head assembly weighed in at 500 lbs.

On the 2321, washing machine, many of whom sported lables with a
quarter slot (like washing machines in the laudramat), there were
10 bins. Each bin held a number of magnetic strips. High access caused
the strip tabs to break. We had to rewrite the VTOC strips every
weekend.

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

I thought the 2321 data cell was called a'Noodle Plucker' because of the way it
extracted magnetiv#c strips for a sort of box, prior to windining it on to an
armature for reading.
--
David Cartwight

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Happy Birthday disk drive!

Quote:

> I thought the 2321 data cell was called a'Noodle Plucker' because of the way it
> extracted magnetiv#c strips for a sort of box, prior to windining it on to an
> armature for reading.
> --
> David Cartwight

It was also the washing machine, because of the look while it rotated
between bin positions. Many a 2321 had a picture of a coin slot on
it to imply the washer in the laundramat.

Bob Halpern

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Happy 20th Birthday, Smalltalk-80!

2. Happy Birthday Extreme Programming!

3. Happy Birthday, Arnor

4. Happy Birthday & Mail Problem

5. FW: Happy Birthday from Madison South Dakota USA

6. Happy birthday from Siberia !

7. Happy Birthday

8. Happy Birthday Song in Clipper

9. Happy birthday, FORTRAN!

10. Happy Birthday - Rexx

11. Happy Birthday, Ruby, and an announcement....

12. Happy July Birthdays