Newbie Book
Author Message
 Newbie Book

Can anyone recommend a decent book for 370 assembly?
It's so tough!
--
Thanks!

Tony

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Book

For a basic 370 assembler text, try either "MVS Assembler Language" or
"DOS/VSE Assembler Language" (depending on your target system); $36.50
US each, available from

Mike Murach & Associates
4697 W. Jacquelyn Ave.
Fresno CA  93722-6427
(800) 221-5528

CAVEAT:  These are both 370 assembler books, NOT S/390.  Neither
of these otherwise fine books addresses either the new High-Level
Assembler or Assembler H, and there's no coverage of ESA mode and
related subjects, such as access registers and data-spaces.

They're also geared for the beginning BATCH APPLICATIONS programmer.
Beyond a very basic overview of JCL and operating-system concepts,
there's no information at all on SYSTEMS programming or on-line sub-
systems (CICS and IMS).

If you're needing to learn how to read a VSAM file and produce a batch
report on the printer, one of these will be all you need.  You'll soon
need a supplemental text if you want to go beyond batch applications,
though.

If you come across a book (other than IBM's "Principles of Operation")
that's still in print and covers the items I've mentioned as missing
from the Murach books, let ME know; I haven't found anything out there
yet.

--
Regards,
Brian P.

    ***  my other PC is a S/390  ***

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Book

Forgive me for being cynical, but I think the aforementioned Murach
books are rather overpriced at $35 because they are obsolete.

If you are just seeking a basic S/360-390 instruction, there are tons of
older used manuals around from retired programmers.  A lot more people
used Assembler in the early S/360 days and migrated to COBOL.  I got my
set for free that way.

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Book

Quote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent book for 370 assembly?
> It's so tough!
> --
> Thanks!

> Tony

Hi,

I use "Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370" by Frank M.
Carrano. The copy i have was printed in 1988 but it has all the basics.
I do not know if it is still available but the ISBN book no is
0-8053-1811-9

Dave Ellis

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie Book

Quote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent book for 370 assembly?
> It's so tough!
> --
> Thanks!

> Tony

Try "Assembler Language with Assist and Assist/I" by Ross A. Overbeek
and W. E. Singletary. ISBN 0-02-390005-9. Copyright 1991 and is still
available at my local Penn State branch campus so you should be able to
pick it up with relative ease. Good luck!

Steve

url    : http://www.epix.net/~prgsdw

Wed, 18 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie: Books and more?

2. Newbie Book!!!!

3. Newbie Book!!!!

4. Newbie book recommendation

5. Good Newbie Books

6. good newbie books?

7. newbie books

8. newbie : books on python

9. newbie : books on python

10. NEWBIE: Books/articles on Python code to run with Apache/IIS

11. Newbie books

12. S370 assembler book for newbie