1403 printer
Author Message
 1403 printer

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm370
>Subject: 1403 printer
>Date: 21 May 1998 02:43:26 GMT
>Why wasn't the 1403 printer renumbered when it was rebuilt for the S/360
>from the 1401?
>As people discuss, the typeslug holder changed.  The speed changed.
>IBM used a lot of components from the 1401 for S/360 by upgrading
>them, such as the 1311 to 2311.

While the 13xx series of disk drives were upgraded to the 23xx
series, and the tape drives were completely reengineered from
the 7 track only 729's to the 9 track 2400's is true.

The 1403 printer had the 'N1' (Nancy One) model added to the product
line. The N1 could do upto 1200 lpm and had a full enclosure complete
with a power cover.  The cover would automatically open on a paper
jam or other printer fault.  More than one operator, myself included,
had reports and card decks dumped on the floor by this 'feature'.

Mike Klaene

Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

Why wasn't the 1403 printer renumbered when it was rebuilt for the S/360
from the 1401?

As people discuss, the typeslug holder changed.  The speed changed.

IBM used a lot of components from the 1401 for S/360 by upgrading
them, such as the 1311 to 2311.

Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

Quote:

> IBM used a lot of components from the 1401 for S/360 by upgrading
> them, such as the 1311 to 2311.

Not that many; the 1311 (became 2311), the 1402 (became 2540) and the
1403. There were, however, other devices carried forward from the 7000
series (including 1410): the 1050, 1302 (became 2302) and "Hypertape".
The core on the 7080 and the 7090, which was carried over from the 7030,
showed up in some S/360 models as well.

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

:> IBM used a lot of components from the 1401 for S/360 by upgrading
:> them, such as the 1311 to 2311.

: Not that many; the 1311 (became 2311), the 1402 (became 2540) and the
: 1403. There were, however, other devices carried forward from the 7000
: series (including 1410): the 1050, 1302 (became 2302) and "Hypertape".
: The core on the 7080 and the 7090, which was carried over from the 7030,
: showed up in some S/360 models as well.

And the 729 tape drive showed up as the early 2400 series.  I came
on board with IBM as they were frantically applying field engineering
modifications to the SYS/360 machinery.  I remember the old-timers
lamenting that they had applied virtually the identical changes to
the 729's as we were (then) applying to the 2400's.

Jonesy
MainFrame since 1966
Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
Gunnison, Colorado
588 days to go until the Year 2000

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

Quote:

> And the 729 tape drive showed up as the early 2400 series.

Well, I'm aware of one major difference between 729 and 2400 tape
drives. The 729 had a read/write head that retracted when the tape was
unloaded and that had an interlock that made it impossible for the head
to go down when the door was open. One of our operators had his hand
under the head when the "impossible" occured. The 2400 didn't have that
particular hazard.

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

:> And the 729 tape drive showed up as the early 2400 series.

: The 729 had a read/write head that retracted when the tape was
: unloaded ....

Are you sure?  I know the power capstans retracted (on the 2400).
But, even at 200 bpi, I would think retracting read/write heads
would be a nightmare for alignment.
The 2400 had a hinged assembly that came down over the read/write
head -- which was incased in a large, fixed brass block below the
tape path.

I remember being taught by a old timer (from 729 experience) to
make the Start/Stop adjustment(s) "by ear".  When you looked at'em
later with the scope, they were 'spot on'.

Jonesy
MainFrame since 1966
588 days to go until the Year 2000

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

One reason why the 1403 was not renumbered is the same basic machine
continued in use on the older stuff, where the 2540, which I agree
was a hotted up 1402, would not run on second generation machines.

When you think of 1403s, do not forget the -3.  Same print train as
the N1, just as fast, but it did not have the powered cover and stacker
the N1 had.

-- Steve Myers

The E-mail addresses in this message are private property.  Any use of them
to  send  unsolicited  E-mail  messages  of  a  commerical  nature  will be
considered trespassing,  and the originator of the message will be  sued in
small claims court in Camden County,  New Jersey,  for the  maximum penalty
allowed by law.

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

Quote:

> Are you sure?  I know the power capstans retracted (on the 2400).
> But, even at 200 bpi, I would think retracting read/write heads
> would be a nightmare for alignment.

Actually, I believe that the nightmare was more for the operator who got
his hand caught rather than the CE. No bones broken, but he had his hand
wrapped up for a couple of weeks and had to put up with a certain amount
of good natured ribbing. Definitely a 729; you couldn't attach a 727 to
a 7070.

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

I have this recollection of watching printout roll out of a 1403 and
being fascinated by a nifty device which appeared to keep the paper on
track. It was a sort of triangular weight pivoted on the end of an
arm. It got lifted up and put down again all the time next to the
moving edge of the paper. If the paper moved sideways it got
underneath the weight, dragged it and tipped it over so that the arm
could descend. This appeared to trigger corrective action to get the
paper lined up again.

Did I just imagine this? Or was this on something other than a 1403?
Andy Wood

Tue, 07 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 1403 printer

Quote:

> >Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm370
> >Subject: 1403 printer
> >Date: 21 May 1998 02:43:26 GMT

> >Why wasn't the 1403 printer renumbered when it was rebuilt for the S/360
> >from the 1401?

> >As people discuss, the typeslug holder changed.  The speed changed.

> >IBM used a lot of components from the 1401 for S/360 by upgrading
> >them, such as the 1311 to 2311.

> While the 13xx series of disk drives were upgraded to the 23xx
> series, and the tape drives were completely reengineered from
> the 7 track only 729's to the 9 track 2400's is true.

> The 1403 printer had the 'N1' (Nancy One) model added to the product
> line. The N1 could do upto 1200 lpm and had a full enclosure complete
> with a power cover.  The cover would automatically open on a paper
> jam or other printer fault.  More than one operator, myself included,
> had reports and card decks dumped on the floor by this 'feature'.

> Mike Klaene

Wasnt also a "non N1" model on the early /360s ??? Model 5 ???

If i remember right we hat such a beast in 1968 on the
/360 model 30. The print mechanism was called "chain" on
that model, "train"(1416) on the N1 model.

We had some trouble on the N1. The train was changeable but
the salesman forgot to sell us the necessary UCS feature.

gv

Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 1403 Printer

2. 14-1 - 1403 "Edith"

3. Need to access different printer trays on a laser printer using VA 5.0

4. Getting Printer Status - Out Of Paper or Printer Off from Windows

5. Sending printer codes to printer

6. Dot Matrix printers vs. Ink-jet/laser printers

7. Printer asking for Universal printer - why???

8. Printer STAR SP200 (pos printer) wont work

9. Capturing Printer OutPut to a printer Port

10. Two computer with one POS printer, Printer error at the same time printing

11. Printers printer drivers....

12. Chk printer status in MS-Network (Network printer)