Year 2000 Newsgroup 
Author Message
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

Anyone got a magical set of filters which reduces the Y2K newsgroup to
something resonable and readable?

I'm asking here because I don't want to reenter X-Filesville unprotected
:-).

-----------== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;     The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
-----------== Over 66,000 Groups, Plus  a  Dedicated  Binaries Server ==----------



Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
: Anyone got a magical set of filters which reduces the Y2K newsgroup to
: something resonable and readable?

If there was, I doubt if you'd see more than one or two
posts per day that 'adhere to the charter'.

In comp.software.year-2000 you'll find little concerned
with "comp" -- even less related to "software".

Like one other poster in this ng observed: It seems to be occupied
mostly by folks waiting for their comet shielded spaceship to pick
them up.

The greatest damage done by "the y2k problem" (whatever that is...)
is the destruction of so many trees for pulp, the spilling of so much
ink, and the needless irradiation by so many radio and tv transmitters
on the topic.

Of course, just IMHO...

Jonesy
MainFrame since 1966 -- and I know when the next century begins...
--
--
Marvin L. Jones  jonz<AT>rmi.net
Gunnison, Colorado
339 days to go until the Year 2000
704 days to go until the 3rd Millennium of the C.E.



Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

us:

Quote:

>: Anyone got a magical set of filters which reduces the Y2K newsgroup to
>: something resonable and readable?

>If there was, I doubt if you'd see more than one or two
>posts per day that 'adhere to the charter'.

>In comp.software.year-2000 you'll find little concerned
>with "comp" -- even less related to "software".

>Like one other poster in this ng observed: It seems to be occupied
>mostly by folks waiting for their comet shielded spaceship to pick
>them up.

>The greatest damage done by "the y2k problem" (whatever that is...)
>is the destruction of so many trees for pulp, the spilling of so much
>ink, and the needless irradiation by so many radio and tv transmitters
>on the topic.

>Of course, just IMHO...

>Jonesy
>MainFrame since 1966 -- and I know when the next century begins...
>--

The best filter I know of is don't subscribe :)  About a year ago when
I was managing a Y2K project I started reading that ng in hopes of
learning something that would be useful to my project.  After about 45
days of wading through all of the BS, I unsubscribed and have never
looked back.  

BTW, my Y2K project finished ahead of schedule and with no problems.

Cheers,

          ////
         (o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

Fun Fact:  When opossums are playing 'possum, they are not
"playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.

 Steve



Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
http://www.*-*-*.com/

It has some mistakes I suppose but the gist I still believe true.  Any
company that has Y2K trouble is a company run by {*filter*}s.

Few problems in computerdom are as easy to fix as Y2K but try getting the
public to understand that.



Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
Do you ever test ~2000 different autonomous time-dependent sensors, which
are all components of the single atomic power plant?

ChB.


Quote:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

>It has some mistakes I suppose but the gist I still believe true.  Any
>company that has Y2K trouble is a company run by {*filter*}s.

>Few problems in computerdom are as easy to fix as Y2K but try getting the
>public to understand that.



Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

Quote:
Bill Bershinger wrote...
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

>It has some mistakes I suppose but the gist I still believe true.  Any
>company that has Y2K trouble is a company run by {*filter*}s.

>Few problems in computerdom are as easy to fix as Y2K but try getting
>the public to understand that.

Not quite.  It's easy enough for a person to change a light bulb, but
it'd be wickedly hard for him to change every light bulb on the Las
Vegas strip.  Especially if a few of them are hard to find.


Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
Gee, I never realized fixing Y2K problems was so easy! I guess I've been
busting my ass for the past 18 months applying my 20 years of mainframe
experience to the problem for nothing. The thousands of corrections I
have made to millions of lines of code are totally unnecessary.

Your lack of real-world business experience is glaringly obvious.

Quote:

> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> It has some mistakes I suppose but the gist I still believe true.  Any
> company that has Y2K trouble is a company run by {*filter*}s.

> Few problems in computerdom are as easy to fix as Y2K but try getting the
> public to understand that.



Mon, 16 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
I have strong doubts that you have changed anything like "millions of lines
of code."


Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

Quote:

> I have strong doubts that you have changed anything like
> "millions of lines of code."

I doubt that also. But, fortunately for reason, that's not what he said.

Quote:

> The thousands of corrections I have made to millions of lines of code

      =========

If you'll reread that for understanding, I think it's pretty clear that
he claimed only to have made thousands of corrections to an unspecified
number (albeit in the millions) of lines of code (total).

William Blair    
--
==================== Opinions above, facts below =======================
Never argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell the difference. [anon]
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
[Harlan Ellison]   The difference between  genius and stupidity  is that
genius has its limits. [Robert Byrne]  Unfortunately, the observed level

======= And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming ... =======



Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup
I caught that as I was typing but went ahead with it anyway.

I still think he needs a vacation, or maybe a new line of work.  Too punchy,
he.



Thu, 19 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

Quote:

> Gee, I never realized fixing Y2K problems was so easy! I guess I've been
> busting my ass for the past 18 months applying my 20 years of mainframe
> experience to the problem for nothing. The thousands of corrections I
> have made to millions of lines of code are totally unnecessary.

> Your lack of real-world business experience is glaringly obvious.

To be fair, the problem was easy to fix; it's just that the industry allowed
procrastination to change an easy problem into an intractable one. Had there
been a decree in the late 1980s that all new record formats would use 4 digit
years, a huge chunk of the conversion would have been handled automatically as
part of routine maintenance. Of course, that accursed FIPS didn't help.

--

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Reply to host nsf (dot) gov, user smetz



Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Year 2000 Newsgroup

Quote:

> BTW, my Y2K project finished ahead of schedule and with no problems.

Your Y2K project will be done when it's Jan 31, 2001 and there are no
rope burns around your neck :-).
--
No, I couldn't think of anything - but I felt the need to
consume the bandwidth anyhow.

-----------== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
 http://www.newsfeeds.com/       The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
-----------== Over 66,000 Groups, Plus  a  Dedicated  Binaries Server ==----------



Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 14 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Year 2000 Newsgroup now available

2. Is year 2000 a leap year??

3. Extensive cobol year 2000 methodology by TOPIC-2000

4. Cobol year 2000 solutions by TOPIC 2000

5. OS/390 Release 2 Year 2000 discussion

6. Year 2000 IBM Asm370 Booming Job Market

7. Sr. Programmer/Analysts for Year 2000 project

8. Sr. Programmer/Analysts for Year 2000 project

9. Year 2000 course available

10. APL YEAR OF 2000 code remediation project

11. Year 2000 issues panel at TOT Conference

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software